Mug Sizes

TRJ thread on big mugs and Neils comment made me think of what size do you make your mugs?

Mine are made from these clay porcelain wet weights and hold this much when finished-They are no trimmers meaning no trimmed foot.

These are my 5 main sizes-I also do soup and motion mugs but I'm sticking to standard mugs on this thread.

Since the clay body and thrown thickness all varies whats your mug?

Mark

3/4#=8-10 ounces

1#=   12-14 oz

1 1/4 #=16-18oz

1 1/2#= 22-24 oz

2#=      32-36oz

Guest JBaymore

I assume that you are meaning the body weight, wet.  As in what amount of clay to throw the body of the mug with.  Yes?

1 pound (wet weight of body clay) holds 14 oz. with about 1/2" above the level of the liquid in it.  Probably hold 16 oz. literally right to the rim...or very close.

That is pretty much the only size mug I make for what might be called 'general sale'.  I sometimes make "one offs" that are a bit more or less clay.  When I'm making them in Japan, I make them smaller starting with about 3/4 pounds of clay...... our typical "mug" size over there is looked at more like a "beer stein" :P .

best,

.......................john

I assume that you are meaning the body weight, wet.  As in what amount of clay to throw the body of the mug with.  Yes?

1 pound (wet weight of body clay) holds 14 oz. with about 1/2" above the level of the liquid in it.  Probably hold 16 oz. literally right to the rim...or very close.

That is pretty much the only size mug I make for what might be called 'general sale'.  I sometimes make "one offs" that are a bit more or less clay.  When I'm making them in Japan, I make them smaller starting with about 3/4 pounds of clay...... our typical "mug" size over there is looked at more like a "beer stein" :P .

best,

.......................john

One pound wet clay ready to throw on the wheel. No handle yet.

T.

One hell of a mug. But I imagine they sell good as people can use them for soup bowl/mugs. I have had a lot of my family members ask me to make them soup mugs. I am like use a bowl for soup people.. BOWL FOR SOUP. Alas I assume I will eventually make big mugs when I try to sell mugs.

That sounds about right for a soup mug...and although I make more bowls than soup mugs, I do seem to have more people asking for larger volume mugs (i.e. larger than 16 fluid ounces).

-Paul

One hell of a mug. But I imagine they sell good as people can use them for soup bowl/mugs. I have had a lot of my family members ask me to make them soup mugs. I am like use a bowl for soup people.. BOWL FOR SOUP. Alas I assume I will eventually make big mugs when I try to sell mugs.

DON'T give in! Bowls are for soup! Plates are for cake! Colanders are for wet things like fruit.

T.

We gotta have rules people, otherwise we  have SOMETHING..tyranny, anarchy.. people drinking coffee out of soup bowls..

My standard mug holds 12 oz, not filled to the very top, and I make it with 1 and 1/4 lb of clay.  I see that most folks use less clay to get that volume, and I felt bad until I realized that most folks don't trim tall feet on their mugs.  Neil knows what I mean!

post-65900-0-46323400-1431699662_thumb.jpg

post-65900-0-46323400-1431699662_thumb.jpg

I make mugs, for Graduation gifts. They are generally made from 1 1/4-1/12 lbs. of clay. They are about four inches tall, by about the same wide. I like them to be all purpose, for the college/ career bound. They are good for coffee/ hot chocolate, cereal, ice cream, soups/ ramen, etc. They are not, however, to be used for PENCIL HOLDERS!!! *Shakes fist at people who coddle their functional wares*

Mugs for me are not really weighed out, just a ball that fits comfortably in the hand. The balls start out with 25# block from bag piece wedged and re-blocked. Cross cut top and sides 3X then do the same on an adjacent side for 36 cubes. These patted to round, and if feeling too small, add some clay, if too large pinch off. Usually 30-32 balls. Each mug little different, each about the same height, and width. For years I weighed out every ball, precisely, but found that I was happier just feeling the weight and size.

Pres,

I have stopped weighing mine as well. When I first stared I was obsessed with each mug looking the exact same. I wanted to throw repeat ware that looked identical. Now I am starting to favor the, this feels about right for a mug. If its a bigger piece I just throw a bigger mug. I find it nice and relaxing. They are pretty close to the same size but still some are slightly taller, some are slightly smaller, slightly thinner, slightly fatter! One mug, two mug, blue mug, red mug. 

I have been practicing my mug skills and am starting to get some I am liking and actually firing. I have also started making them a bit bigger as people seem to want that. My first mugs I made for the size I liked big enough for a cup of tea but small enough not to let it get cold before I finished it, just about everyone says they are too small.

This is a great discussion. I am currently using 1 1/2lbs per mug but hadn't thought to fill one up and see how much they hold. I still haven't settled on a style I like but am trying out different shapes and textures. So far people seem to like to pick up a few and hold them until they decide on the one they like. They like the hunt for the perfect mug. I am sure I will get asked do you have THIS mug in THAT color at some point so keep practicing to get several that look alike. I am not going for exact I like the idea of each one being a little different but I also think they should look good together if someone buys a few. I also like glazing them in a few different colors so people have a choice. I personally prefer either a brick and gold color scheme or blue rutile but buyers seem to like bright colors like oranges, greens and yellows. I am pretty new at this so pay attention to what shapes and colors people prefer and am letting that kind of guide me.

T

I hate to admit it, but I still weigh just about everything, unless throwing off the hump.  And, I weigh it right down the ounce on the digital scale (there's probably a support group for people who do this...and yes, it is a bit obsessive).
For mugs and bowls with trimmed feet here are my clay weights:

• Tall mugs (12oz+) = 1.6oz (correction 1.6 lbs.)
  • Large soup bowls = 1.12 oz (correction 1.12 lbs.)

-Paul

Guest JBaymore

• Tall mugs (12oz+) = 1.6oz

Wow........ a 12 oz. mug out of one point six ounces of clay!  Amazing throwing.  ;)  :P  :lol:  

best,

...............john

• Tall mugs (12oz+) = 1.6oz

Wow........ a 12 oz. mug out of one point six ounces of clay!  Amazing throwing.  ;)  :P  :lol:  

best,

...............john

Oh good grief...(correction added to previous post).

Unless, of course that is a very, very heavy one point six ounces of clay :unsure:

-Paul

Guest JBaymore

You must be in a gravity well of some sort. 

I know....... Giorgio A. Tsoukalos says, "ALIENS!"  :ph34r:  ;)

best,

.....................john

Wouldn't that weight of clay be bigger in microgravity?  I might be confused. 

Hey, has anyone tried to throw in space?  You'd still have centrifugal force to bell the piece out, but little gravity to make it slump.

People not using mugs (or bowls, plates, jars...) is a real pet peeve of mine.  Was visiting my brother and looking in his cabinet for the mug I made him.  Wanted to check that the glaze had not crazed. (I am a bit obsessive). He had it on a high shelf in a china cabinet with other crystal and special occasion items.  Like, what the he77?  I explained that my work of art was not complete until used.  He didn't get it.  I am sending him 6 mugs for Christmas this year. I may even send defective ones and tell him I saved them from the shard pile for him. Uuugh!

Chantal - next time you visit "borrow" his current selection of ordinary mugs and leave your mugs behind in their place. If he wants his coffee he will have to use your mug after a few days of griping he will never want to drink out of another commercial mug again.

T

I am currently trying to get bigger mugs >8oz.  I tend to make little ones, little hands and all that.  Also trying to get some consistency, they do vary a bit in size.  I don't want them to look commercial, just similar.  Mugs are harder than they look, but nice to make something I hope people will use. Just my little mug ramble and thank all of you so much for weights of clay.  I am a youtube learner and so many whap a piece of clay on the wheel and poof instant art without saying how much clay etc.  Full time job and living in the boonies makes it hard to find a real life teacher.

Archived