#1 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

I think This is a John b. (Sensei aka yoda) question.
I think you mentioned about not signing pots inside of foot ring?
Is this an eastern rule?
Is there a story behind the rule?

A few months ago I started signing outside of ring, it just felt natural...

What about Flatish plate with no foot ring. Where do you sign?

I just got some pieces back from wood fire and there is old sig (before I developed current sig) inside of footring. I don't like it. Some of these pieces were dropped off 6 months ago. In six months my work has progressed. Many of these have amateur issues. Well at least my signature is better.
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

For me it's a function thing
I want the signature not to interfere with the look and feel and how easy it is to clean
I sign the bottoms as that is where there is less interference with its function
The pot is not about me the signer but the form and how it works and feels
My makers mark is for me at the bottom of the list-hence the bottom of the pot

I do like a chop mark outside the foot ring like under a handle but it's not my thing as that takes one more step.
I sign when done trimming and not when it's soft enough got a chop impression
If I where making one of a kind pricey pots then I might have a different approach but I,m not
For me western/ eastern is not the issue but where the function lies
My 2 cents
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 PSC

PSC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

I always see the footring as a little round frame for my sig.

#4 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

On many forms I have a raised nubbin in center of foot ring and sign this as glaze does not cover this as it's waxed.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#5 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

I always see the footring as a little round frame for my sig.

I agree with the footer/frame idea. To me and all of my fans (both of them :rolleyes: ) this is like a seren'dipitous-plus to the piece that says, "you cared enough to pay attention to something that not everyone will see".

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#6 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Lou,

That comment I made was relative to the tradition in Japan.  And in particular I think that it was relative to Chawan.  With few exceptions, sigs are typically outside the footring.  Western pottters seem to more usually sign within the footring.  But of course...... every generalization is wrong.

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I usually sign the footed ware, usually plates with a new line and wave at the ends just inside of the foot. The R-an old lead letter stamp is place between the two wavy ends, then I sign and date inside of the new circle. Elaborate, but part of the finishing of the piece for me.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#8 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

I don't have a good answer for this.  I think the bottom of the pot tells much about what the potter thinks of his work and with a largish bowl, I put a very carefully done foot ring.  I like the look of glaze inside the foot ring, so I never like the way the signature looks.

#9 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Is this an eastern rule?
Is there a story behind the rule?

Surely the only rule is that there are no rules - I sign my pots inside the footring.

#10 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

I stopped signing all together and made my own stamp from clay and bisque it.  I now press my mark on the outside of the foot ring where there is no glaze.  I tend to put a deep think foot ring on most of my work and the stamp goes very well there.

Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#11 Tyler Miller

Tyler Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'm uncomfortable signing anything at all, but that's a practice I need to change.

I think as long as what you're doing fits with your own personal aesthetic, or, to speak in more objective terms, fits with the aesthetic of the piece you're producing, it doesn't matter what you do.

#12 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Guess I my mind was changed on signing years ago. I never signed anything that I made, drawings, paintings or such. Then when I went to college, art education classes, if your name wasn't on it-it wasn't graded. We were brainwashed into believing that if it was worth anything your mark or signature had to be on it to brand it as yours. Those old thoughts have stuck with me, and even napkin sketches I sign! :D

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#13 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

I  currently initial the bottom just inside my foot ring.  Im working on my stamp which will be of a size that will allow me to apply it to the outside edge of my foot ring.   For plates or no-trim bowls/cups they will get a stamp just inside the bottom edge. 

#14 williamt

williamt

Advanced beginner, maybe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I like to sign and date and use my stamp inside the foot ring. I think I look at it as a posterity thing. And caring enough about your work to not be anonymous. Who knows, someone might dig your pot out of a midden one day and think "who was this person" and a connection is made.
Lee Tucker
Black Kitty Pottery
http://www.blackkittypottery.com

#15 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'm uncomfortable signing anything at all, but that's a practice I need to change.

I think as long as what you're doing fits with your own personal aesthetic, or, to speak in more objective terms, fits with the aesthetic of the piece you're producing, it doesn't matter what you do.

I find my signature is in the form and marks my fingers have made whilst producing the piece. I can tell one of mine if it is not signed but I do stamp the outside of the foot for the customers.

#16 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

If you sign inside the foot ring, do you then glaze there, or do you leave inside bare?

#17 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

Here is current sig just after trimming, I sand down edges after bisque. I use a pencil. It's a version of my initials three times on bottom outside of footring.

Attached Files

Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#18 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:00 PM

Guess I my mind was changed on signing years ago. I never signed anything that I made, drawings, paintings or such. Then when I went to college, art education classes, if your name wasn't on it-it wasn't graded. We were brainwashed into believing that if it was worth anything your mark or signature had to be on it to brand it as yours. Those old thoughts have stuck with me, and even napkin sketches I sign! :D

So a load came out today, and while doing photos I took this one while it sat on the deck.

Attached Files

#19 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

Lovely! What is the speckle in your clay body? Oxidation firing?

#20 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:33 AM

Standard Ceramics-112 BROWN CLAY (Cone 4-6) Plastic clay for wheel and modeling. The addition of granular manganese gives a speckled surface. The ideal temperature for developing best color tone is cone 5. Good results may be expected in reduction or oxidation firing. NON-TOXIC%20copy.jpg
Shrinkage:  12% at C/4, 12.5% at C/6. 
Absorption:  4.5% at C/4, 2.5% at C/6.

Cone 6 Oxidation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users