Stuffers Is One Way To Make One Kiln Load Into Two.

I like to take advantage of space-its one of the things that I have learned to do that can really make a difference in costs.

This Mornings bisque looked like this as I took these photos at 9 am.

This single car kiln loans (35 cubic feet) turned into two kiln loads this afternoon after glazing all day with my assistant.

I was able to fill the 35 again as well as my 12 cubic updraft buy 7 tonight. (I had Alaska friends drop by so I lost an hour)

By stuffing this kiln with stuffers (small stuff-over 280 little things like spoon rests sponge holders and baby bowls)

And by stacking things tight and stacking inside things like bowl stacks and smalls inside soup mugs etc.

One can turn a kiln into two loads, It did not all fit into both kilns as I had some left over as well.

Heres todays work flow from one large bisque into two loaded glaze loads to be fired in am.

This has been the 4 the 4th Friday in a row just like this with two kiln loads done.I shot the glaze loads at 7 pm same day

I'm feeling a bit like its x-mas season again but this is the last push and some of this will go to my outlets

So if you make lots of stuffers you can really expand into two loads along with wise stacking of regular forms. 

One electric bisque (as many here work with) could turn into two glaze loads with this put to practice. It lowers firing costs as well as more work per fire.

It does make for one long glaze day.

Mark

post-8914-0-75372000-1426315282_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-28116500-1426315293_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-84580500-1426315303_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-88404500-1426315321_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-75372000-1426315282_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-28116500-1426315293_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-84580500-1426315303_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-88404500-1426315321_thumb.jpg

How in the world do you stack bowls and spoon rest in a glaze load???  Or did I miss understand?  Working on my tumble stacking in the bisque, but it still scares me.  Very impressive out put.  Really put the "work" into Artwork.

I think I have read that @Mark C. makes things like spoon rests and/or soap dishes for stuffers.  I would love to hear what other pieces people make to optimize their kiln load(s).  That might make a separate topic question, but it seems relevant to this discussion.  I have just started making some 2.25" x 2.25" tile for that purpose...they stack nicely in and around vessels during bisque and seem to squeeze pretty nicely under the sides of bowls in glaze firing.

-Paul

I make little HB bowls, 3'', to fit in around and under the larger bowls in a glaze.  Little soap dishes, 3x5, to finish off a shelf that has a long rectangular tray. Long skinny butter dishes for same place.

Mark, I think I see a space on the upper left under a bowl. ;)  Impressive work.

>>>>> you cannot stack glaze ware.<<<<<

Mark

Speaking of glaze ware, I read your post from last year about the spoon rests and Ramen bowls.  And that

the spoon rests retail for $5.00.  Is there a point of zero sum gain where you can make something that retails

for say $5.00 but can't afford to wholesale it for less?

Thanks in advance.

Alabama

>>>>> you cannot stack glaze ware.<<<<<

Mark

Speaking of glaze ware, I read your post from last year about the spoon rests and Ramen bowls.  And that

the spoon rests retail for $5.00.  Is there a point of zero sum gain where you can make something that retails

for say $5.00 but can't afford to wholesale it for less?

Thanks in advance.

Alabama

Yes the spoon rest-I only sell this at $5 no matter who or how many-so This is my threshold bottom of a form. A wholesale one is $5 same as retail. I have sold 150 to a hotel or 24 to a gallery-its always $5.

On smalls the wholesale for me is never 1/2 cost anyway-I sell sponge holders of 1$ less than my retail-on small items my price is low so whole sale is just a dollar or two less and some items I do not wholesale.

On larger items my wholesale is about 1/3 off my price.But thats my model and it does not work for everyone.

Mark 

Thank you Mark for letting us know how you do the wholesale breakdown. I have had my first wholesale request and my prices are pretty low and sitting there figuring out half of those prices would mean I am basically giving them away. I was leaning towards the 1/3 off range but wasn't sure on that, wasn't sure if there was an industry standard or what. Again thank you for passing on more of your wonderful knowledge!

T

Archived