QotW: If I gave you $150 to spend on a tool/tools, what would you buy?

I have been looking at some digital scales and other tools lately, and wondered what others would buy if they had some extra bucks. 

Myself, I figure I'll go for the digital scale. Only have to figure which one!

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned and featured this topic

Good question!

I'd be tempted to widen the definition of "tools" to include track shelving* and a rolling cart.
Then a few more buckets.

The Studio needs (aah, I need!) the wall put up and mini-split installed; so, so hot!

I'm good for tools right now, looking forward to setting up and firing the new kiln when it arrives!
There's some open space in the Studio now, but still lots of organizing, demo and remodeling to do.

I'm getting lots of miles out of relatively inexpensive (it's $26 on ah maze on right now) US Balance "US-Benchtop-Pro" scale; it performs consistently and well.
Its max is 2000 grams, hence, for larger glaze batches, there are more steps.
If choosing again, I might go with the 3000 or 5000g models, maybe; the 3000g model can be had for less than $40 ...

*I like the metal tracks that screw to the wall; shelf support brackets snap into the track.
Higher up and on the end there, for glazes, glaze materials and some other stuff that's nice to have handy but aren't used every day; at "wheelhouse" level, green and bisque ware queue-up space.

So $150 US is closer to $180 CAD, so i got a little more to work with (evil smile!)

The first thing that jumped to mind was more mason stains, or tracking down some rare earth minerals for colourants. I don’t own a digital scale, and that’s on my list of nice to have things. But like a lot of folks, I already have a bunch of stuff, and most of my go-to tools are really cheap ones. 

The things that have been a worthwhile $150 bucks included proper shelving and a glaze screen that fits over a bucket nicely. And a good corded drill capable of mixing grout. The piece I was kind of surprised to use as much as I do was a good banding wheel. I inherited mine, but a new one is in that range, so worth a mention. 

Oh now I have to choose mentally, ( my son gave me a gift voucher for $150 ) and with Pres's I would have 300!!! 

Prob only $150 of Callie'sCanadian 

Power drill of my own, mmm, delicious

New worktable...., well just think I need proper tool organisers and brush holder.

Put $ towards slab roller.....

Prob. My indecision shows nothing screaming at me.

Edited by Babs

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a Bailey extruder at the HS. It was mounted on a tripod mount with two wheels, used it with students for years. Later on I found out that Bailey had only designed that for the power extruder, as the manual extruder was deemed to be dangerous to use, falling over on the operator.  We continued to use it until I retired.

best,

Pres

On 8/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, Pres said:

I have been looking at some digital scales and other tools lately, and wondered what others would buy if they had some extra bucks. 

Myself, I figure I'll go for the digital scale. Only have to figure which one!

best,

Pres

If I strictly stayed on 'tool' focus maybe some new calipers.  I use a slide rule most of the time but real calipers for my sculpting so I can double check proportions faster would be nice.  Ones clearly marked with measurements so I can stay on focus with percentages.

I will add that if you don't already have a nice digital scale that lets you flip between grams and ounces, I recommend one!  I use mine both for finicky ingredients measurements but I also use it to weigh my parcels for shipping labels!  Mine by the way is a digital scale for measuring food - they are cheap but pretty reliable and works great for me.  I rarely have anything over 10 lbs to weigh at a time.

Edited by Hyn Patty
Added comment about digital scales

I have several of these inexpensive plastic calipers*, handy in the Studio, a few dollars at your local hardware store or online.
If/when they break, bend, wear out - not a big loss!

Plenty accurate within a small fraction of a mm (depending on one's eyesight); the vernier is decent.
Typically, the depth bit on these cheapies don't line up with zero, but that's easily accounted for...

For larger wares, I'm using a fifteen inch Fiskars stainless steel ruler, graduated in mm and inches, which I find handy...

duhne.JPG.48fc0ab2944b08096087b4a22f472607.JPG

*when a more accurate measurement is required - within a thousandth or two (inches) - I'll break out a spendy caliper or micrometer.
I haven't yet needed to use any expensive measuring equipment when working with clay. The one exception was testing to see how small a vertical wheel head wobble is perceptible - a few thousandths is enough to be annoying, yep.

In my ceramic practice, within a fraction of a millimeter is almost always "close enough" - and for ordinary projects as well, e.g. bolt/screw/drill size, blind hole depth, et cetera, a cheap plastic caliper is practical, useful, and low ri$k...

• 2 months later...

I already have a digital scale, they're not that expensive.  I have several actually but I got this one just for weighing out glaze stuff.

American Weigh Scales L-3000 - I paid $38, currently on sale for $36.  Highly highly rated in the baking community, and some of us there are pretty an... err, focused on ... the accuracy of our scales.

$150 doesn't begin to touch how much I am getting ready to spend on tools.  Bats, for instance.  I'm spending more than that on just bats.  I only have 4 atm.  But then I'm just getting started (for realzies this time).

• Pres unpinned this topic