QotW: What investment will you be doing this year to advance/enhance your ceramics journey?

HI folks, little late for a new question, but call this next weeks. I have been thinking about much of the chatter on the forum, and it seems like people are doing things this year to improve their ceramics journey. Much of this may be direct, but some indirect. We have members getting surgery to improve their health or relieve pain. I am buying my first major investment in many years. .  a new kiln. Others are starting up buying a new or used wheel. Others have taken the time off from the pandemic to clean and organize studios. This brings to mind a question for all of you:

QotW: What investment will you be doing this year to advance/enhance your ceramics journey?

best,

Pres

I bought another Peter pugger to help with clay body mixing (two bodies mixed together ).

I also just had a APL suspensionplasty with biotenodesis screw in left thumb. in laymans terms they cut out my trapezium bone out of thumb and use part of a thumb tendon to suspend the thumb over that hole. My surgeon did 3 techniques on my thumb to strengthen it.this was lastTuesday-i'm off of painkillers now and have a brace for two weeks then a cast for 4 weeks then rehab for 4-5 months . my thumb will have to be taught to work again as its immobile now. the other fingers are sticking out and i have use of them. The restriction of use is no lifing more than a cup of coffee.

i choose this coivid time to be down from clay to rehab as we cannot travel and are hiding ot on the property for a long stint.I did make lots of greenware and in few weeks will help my assistant glaze and fire a small kiln load to keep my outlets supplied duri ng this break. one armed now

my wife needs the same surgery as soon as i'm healed.

Edited by Mark C.

Right now I am 90% sure I’m going to do this, though I still need to convince myself of the last 10%, but I think I’m going to get Lasik surgery. I recently turned 50, so this will be my 50th birthday present to myself.  I was originally planning to splurge on a nice vacation, but those plans went out the window with covid. Lasik is probably more useful anyways. 

I am investing in time, I get up for work at 3:30AM on a few days of the week, and instead of sleeping in on my days off I am going to just get up on those days too and work in the studio before the kids get up. I have all the equipment I need, I just need more time. Some ideas for my work popped into my head and I would like to explore them!

I am investing in me. I've had several heavy-duty, do-or-die, metamorphoses (body/spirit/severe loss etc.) incl. minor TBI from external sources and now new damage from  decades of SSRIs used off-label (i.e. not for depression). The discontinuation syndrome process took a brutal 3 years, but I am now over a year clear of them & doing well--except for the TBI.  It is astounding to actually see it on a brain scan!!!  I have finally accepted the reality of certain limitations and become habituated to using effective work-arounds, consistently.  So my investment for claywork is to maintain the consistency of employing imperative work-arounds and take my today's Self into emerging new directions. 

On 1/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, oldlady said:

good, joseph, i miss your photos of what you are currently working on.

I will be sure to send you some pictures. ! It has been so long since I threw anything today I forgot how I made my work. Like I could throw stuff just fine, but it didn't feel like mine. Going to take a while until I get back into the soulfulness of my work.

It takes a little bit, getting back on the bike if you’ve been away for a while. It comes. I found after my extended break, I had a massive flood of constant ideas for a long time. Keep a notebook or a sketchbook handy!

After the last year, I am investing time into actual self care practices, not just engaging in escapism. I need to fill the well after helping my kids through *gestures wildly at everything*.

11 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

It takes a little bit, getting back on the bike if you’ve been away for a while. It comes. I found after my extended break, I had a massive flood of constant ideas for a long time. Keep a notebook or a sketchbook handy!

After the last year, I am investing time into actual self care practices, not just engaging in escapism. I need to fill the well after helping my kids through *gestures wildly at everything*.

Kids are so busy. I was spoiled with my 9 year old who just turned 10. Now this 1.5 year old is just rampaging everything again. I forgot what that was like. Hahaha.

Pottery workshops!!! I can't put enough exclamation points after my response. I am so excited to be registering for workshops. 

I don't have oodles of disposable income for workshops, but with no vacations, no workshops and minimal work travel during 2020, I can afford a couple of workshops in 2021 that I can drive to. 

Betty

• Pres unpinned this topic