QotW: What are your concerns about the coronovirus impact on your health and your livelihood and passion?

Made my last pottery drop offs today to food markets-I have 5 outlets that carry food 3 of them are large natural food markets even had my wife sell a bunch of pots to a studio customer who had a date set up long ago to pick up a butterdish but went big with two glaze kilns open .This will be the last customer I service out of the studio for a long time.

Our county is on lock down at midnight for non essential business like pottery.

I have only been out a few times since Sunday and will hang tight now. The sales will slow to crawl and thats fine. Life is slowing down and I'm looking forward to the slower pace. maybe I can learn to relax.Spring is here now with warm temps and the daffodils are in bloom-the lawn needs mowing soon as well.

I miss tree fishing but since breaking my arm shaking our rotten apple tree limbs My tree fishing days are over I'm sad to say.

speaking of fishingh I am picking up my big boat today as its an essential service to me and after waiting 5.5 months for it to get out of shop I'm getting it unless arrested on the way.Of course I only del with one person about 6 feet away as its paid for and I have access to it.

my world has ended with the total closure of the library system.   usually i read constantly but i was caught on a day when i only had 3 books out.   have only 40 pages left on the last one.   i have a kindle fire and have had it for several years.   does anyone know of a tutorial on using it that i can find online?   i turned it on several times but there are always things that show up unannounced and look as though i will have to pay for something.   can't do that.

watching a lot of youtube but never found a definition of "subscriber".  is that something you pay to be or what?   and facebook and instagram shut me down. 

planting flowers in bigger pots was  today's big event. and washing the 22 saranwrap windows on the porch will happen tomorrow .  whoopee!  then i will be able to see more of the very odd birds that strut around in the yard.   ibis that are not in a zoo!  and sometimes green parrots fly overhead.  

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

my world has ended with the total closure of the library system.   usually i read constantly but i was caught on a day when i only had 3 books out.   have only 40 pages left on the last one.   i have a kindle fire and have had it for several years.   does anyone know of a tutorial on using it that i can find online?   i turned it on several times but there are always things that show up unannounced and look as though i will have to pay for something.   can't do that.

watching a lot of youtube but never found a definition of "subscriber".  is that something you pay to be or what?   and facebook and instagram shut me down. 

planting flowers in bigger pots was  today's big event. and washing the 22 saranwrap windows on the porch will happen tomorrow .  whoopee!  then i will be able to see more of the very odd birds that strut around in the yard.   ibis that are not in a zoo!  and sometimes green parrots fly overhead.  

You don't pay to subscribe to a YouTube channel, it just means it'll show up in your suggested videos when new ones come out from that channel.

15 hours ago, oldlady said:

i have a kindle fire and have had it for several years.   does anyone know of a tutorial on using it that i can find online? 

I would suggest calling library or going to their website to see if the have digital books available, many do and if so I bet they also have a kindle tutorial on checking out their books.

don't know about tutorials but I use the fire's as my tablet. We use Amazon delivery enough to justify the price of Amazon prime so I also get access to the prime video's. For $10 a month you can subscribe to unlimited library. Lots of Indie pubs here but there are over a million book available and no extra charges. I signed up for a three month 99 cent intro in Jan and I think I will renew. Lot of junk but good stuff too and I like being able to just start reading and just go to another if it doesn't grab me.feel free to pm me with a question and I can look on mine and try and help.

edit: Here's a link on the current free 2 month trial, can't beat free.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://moneysavingmom.com/hot-kindle-unlimited-trial-deal/&ved=2ahUKEwiF_NTx56voAhUGC6wKHbTXAuMQFjAJegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0PqPgvejbA-XLYAcnDOMMh

Edited by Stephen

15 hours ago, oldlady said:

There are several good apps for checking out digital books from your library. I use Overdrive and Hoopla. Find the apps in the Amazon app store on your Kindle and download them. Overdrive has an app called Libby that can be used on other devices like Android and Apple, but for somer reason they don't have it for Kindle devices, so you have to use the old Overdrive app, which isn't nearly as friendly but still functional. You'll need your library card number to create an account in either app. Sometimes you'll need a PIN for your account, and with my library that's the last 4 digits of your phone number. Once you're set up you can borrow books to your Kindle. With Overdrive, there is a limited number of copies of each book available, just like real books, so you can be put a hold on it just like real books. With Hoopla the books are always available, although they don't have as big a selection as Overdrive.

When the Coronavirus spread first started I was getting ready to start on tile project so I had taken a count of the different types of clay I had and weight.  I also went through my chemicals and glazes to see if I was low on anything.   I was going to do some testing and hate it when I am in the middle of mixing a glaze and missing a chemical.   This has turned into a much longer shelter in,  our county closed down a week ago and now they are talking about the state.  My husband and I are in the almost 70 category,  he has mild diabetes and I have MS so we have to be vigilant a in avoiding exposure.    Thankfully we  both have plenty of projects to keep us busy.    Denice

Illinois lockdown has been extended to April 30. Tomorrow I get to play teacher as my kids start their e-learning. So far their school has been really good about keeping us informed about everything. Luckily they had a pretty tech-savvy curriculum already. Both kids have Chromebooks and they use Google classroom for a lot of their assignment tracking.

8 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Illinois lockdown has been extended to April 30. Tomorrow I get to play teacher as my kids start their e-learning. So far their school has been really good about keeping us informed about everything. Luckily they had a pretty tech-savvy curriculum already. Both kids have Chromebooks and they use Google classroom for a lot of their assignment tracking.

Man you should see what our kindergartner has to do online, it's crazy!  They're doing more studying at home now than they ever did in school and it's a full time job for my wife and I, but hey, something to keep us and the kids busy!

Lots of play time in the cul-de-sac, lots of cleaning and organizing, just trying to stay sane here :blink:

They’ve closed all the playgrounds, because kids don’t observe the 6’ social distance stuff, oddly enough. They closed schools 2 weeks ago, but they were just about to start spring break anyways. I got calls from the kids teachers yesterday asking us about tech availability. The assignments we start getting tomorrow. We’ve been told it’s supposed to be about an hour a day of stuff for their age groups (grade 3 and 6). Mostly literacy and numeracy, with some social studies and science. My kids have been going nuts for Prodigy. (It’s a math game online). 

My granddaughter had had a stomach virus about 3 weeks ago, stayed at home sick vomiting, with a fever. Her parents self quarantined her not allowing her out of the house for two weeks after. Easy once the school closed. Now she meets with her friends a few time a week. . . .they drive to an empty parking lot, sit in their cars and talk to each other in comfort. Go figure!

best,

Pres

I still have job. Working really hard and this is new reality. Very sad that I can't spend any time as this is now a non-essential activity and I have to keep myself home after work - social distancing. Is any one figuring out a way to satisfy their artistic thumb at home?

15 minutes ago, Pres said:

My granddaughter had had a stomach virus about 3 weeks ago, stayed at home sick vomiting, with a fever. Her parents self quarantined her not allowing her out of the house for two weeks after. Easy once the school closed. Now she meets with her friends a few time a week. . . .they drive to an empty parking lot, sit in their cars and talk to each other in comfort. Go figure!

best,

Pres

GREAT idea Pres - I gotta do that with my boyfriend

Now if only I could figure a way to get my hands on some clay - I'm sure worried about everything though. Some one couple of hours away that works in the same company got COVID 19. There are some real fears about hygiene as long as we make sure to take proper safety precautions and practice social distancing hopefully this'll be gone in jiffy.

Edited by jyoungs

• Pres unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic