Who can tell me that material?

leopold

Hi Everyone,

I'm a freshman for throwing pottery, trying to collect all essential tools for my daily work.

I have met some guys use the tool on that photos in some video to clean the rim, and got a great effect.

I have no idea what it's and how to buy it.

Thanks for any help.

Leopold

O1CN011oD42GG2H1GJzSP_!!803975190.png

look for chamois at an auto parts area in a store-they use them fro cleaning up the outside of cars-cut a strip from a larger piece. Much cheaper than buying a pottery one.

The one in photo is screwed to a cork so it floats in your water bucket -very easy to recreate yourself with a cork and a screw.

I prefer real chamois to the fake stuff. You can get it at the auto parts store or Ace Hardware. A full piece is way more than you need, but you can always sell off strips to your classmates to cover the cost. You can also get corks and screws at Ace. Without the cork it's really easy to lose the chamois. We used to just clamp the chamois under the lid of a film canister, but it's hard to find those nowadays.

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

I prefer real chamois to the fake stuff. You can get it at the auto parts store or Ace Hardware. A full piece is way ore than you need, but you can always sell off strips to your classmates to cover the cost. You can also get corks and screws at Ace. Without the cork it's really easy to lose the chamois. We used to just clamp the chamois under the lid of a film canister, but it's hard to find those nowadays.

A slip saturated chamois is like a needle in a haystack.

And you are spot on, regarding the film canisters.  I still do "Traditional" Photography, with my Photo classes, but I have reusable cassettes, that I fill with a bulk roll.  So I don't even have many of the canisters.

Depends on the type of synthetic...I have been using a piece of super absorbent material that I got at the CA State Fair more than 30 years ago. I have been using the same piece now in my throwing for more than 10 years and it is in the same shape as it was when I started using it. It's not fibrous...no threads to come apart. I usually set it on the rim of my water bucket when I throw so I don't lose it,,,The big piece that it came from I use to dry my cars after washing. I've tried the real stuff on my cars and my pots and definitely prefer the synthetic...but that's what makes the world go round...the choices we make...

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Depends on the type of synthetic...I have been using a piece of super absorbent material that I got at the CA State Fair more than 30 years ago. I have been using the same piece now in my throwing for more than 10 years and it is in the same shape as it was when I started using it. It's not fibrous...no threads to come apart. I usually set it on the rim of my water bucket when I throw so I don't lose it,,,The big piece that it came from I use to dry my cars after washing. I've tried the real stuff on my cars and my pots and definitely prefer the synthetic...but that's what makes the world go round...the choices we make...

You gotta love State Fairs, for all the "Life Improving" products they sell.

My guess is, that when they were showing the million and one uses for your chamois, clay work wasn't one of them.

The float is an imperative - for both of us. You don't want to lose your chamois in the throwing slurry, and I don't want to have to take the pugmill apart to pull out your lost chamois, or just as bad, find your chamois in reclaim as I am throwing. Another easy float is a common fishing bobber. A small one is enough. Poke a tiny hole using your needle tool in the end of the strip of chamois, and put the spring-loaded line clamping wire hook through the hole.

1 hour ago, CactusPots said:

The chamois is good for smoothing only.  I use a piece of heavy plastic, actually a pool inner material.  It leaves a smooth surface, but also shapes and compresses.  I hate rim cracks.

I shape and compress with chamois too, what makes it bad at that?

Archived