The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Was catching up on foot polishing, washing, and inspection this week, then took a few new pictures.
    I like this teapot. It pours well too!

DSCN2051.JPG

4. Yesterday
  5. Last week
  6. Earlier
  7. A woman is selling this kiln for $750 I was wondering if that would be something worth buying or if that price a bit too high? 

IMG_1220.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

1. davidh4976

davidh4976

If you want to fire to cone 6, you may find that this kiln has trouble getting to cone 6, and you would be better getting a kiln rated for 8 or higher.

2. Denice

Denice

This kiln won't work for 5/6 glazes,  when you do find a kiln to buy find out how many firings are on the elements.   When I buy a used kiln I always figure the least amount of work that will need to be done to it is having it rewired.   The last time I bought wires for a Skutt kiln that size it was $300.   My husband changed them out for me so I didn t have to pay for installation.  I sold my Cone 10 1027 Skutt kiln two years ago with fresh wires for 600 dollars.    Denice

8. Hi all, any and all questions posted by me will be related to an ongoing research I am currently conducting on the possible applications of biophilic design in creating sound generating pottery. I came across a captivating story on ancient sounds being recorded on pottery only to realize that it was all a hoax. Anyway, it led me to exploring other ways in which we could probably include mechanisms that could create sound through clay/ceramics/pottery. I am exploring an indirect implication of biophilic or natural elements such as the imitation of the sound of wind, water, bird sounds etc. through pottery all while figuring out if there is a niche for this.

It would be extremely great if I get responses and any help of the sort would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

9. Hyn Patty

Hyn Patty LLC

Equine artist working in 3D fine art sculpture. I both sculpt, mold, and cast my own pieces in earthenware and am working towards producing my own sculpture also in English fine bone china here in the USA. Since 2003 I have been custom glazing equine ceramics sculpted by other artists and produced in various ceramic media. See more of my work at hynpatty.com. English fine bone china 'Crusher' sculpted by Kitty Cantrell and produced by the Horse Gallery of Horsing Around of England. Claybody customized to add mane, braid, stud bridle and shoes myself, then under glazed to a dappled grey. Finished in satin glaze with low fired yellow gold buckles and white gold bit and shoes by Hyn Patty, 2006. Piece measures approximately 8 inches tall by 10 inches long - Private collection, sold for just under $4k at public auction. 2007 Realistic Equine Sculpture Society Best Custom Glazed Ceramic and People's Choice Awards.
  10. There's a skip full of IFB for free. Now to work out how many I can fit in my car/garden.

1. Chilly

Chilly

I had a load you could have had.  Essex tho'.  

2. High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Thank you for the offer but it is a bit of a drive from here :D They are rebuilding a hydrogen kiln at work that has about 6 brick thick walls so there's plenty for me to sort through and find the good ones.

11. dropped my bison trimming tool that I have had and used for 9 years. :(

1. Show previous comments  1 more
    2. Joseph Fireborn

Joseph Fireborn

I know! I emailed him immediately, but it looks like his etsy shop is closed and his facebook hasn't been updated in a while. I am guessing maybe he is out of the business or has moved on?

I saw a lot of people on Etsy are now selling the same type of tool, but his craft was so good. Hard to accept moving on! :(

3. Roberta12

Roberta12

The handle fits my hand so very well.

4. JohnnyK

JohnnyK

I'm guessing that the carbide broke when you dropped it...how many pieces? If you have any welding experience, you may be able to silver solder the pieces back together and grind the joints to the original cross-section. Otherwise consider taking it to someone that does have such experience...

12. Joseph Fireborn

Dreams 2024

Woke up at 3AM, have had this cup in my head since then. Finally sketched it just to get it out of my thoughts. Top part is unglazed with my black crackle slip, sprayed with wood ash mixture lightly to sheen versus too rough of dry feeling to the lips, but still will be tactile so that you know what you are drinking from. Inside glaze is a high iron glaze like an oilspot, but slightly oversaturated and crystallized as it cools, sheen but satin not to take or distract the eyes from the eruption of the cylinder. Bottom half of the cup is a cracking pinholing glaze, sort of like my surface experiments but safe in the hands, tactile but not sharp coning into the surface of the black cylinder. raw clay foot allowing the pinholes and cracks in the white glaze to match so that it isn't flawless design but purpose.
  13. I recently purchased a used "Duncan - The Teacher" kiln and cannot get it to work.   I am powering it with a NEMA plug and 8/3 wire to a 40 amp breaker [unit is rated at 2700 amps].  It is only 8' from the breaker panel.  I have tested the outlet and it has power.  Can anyone advise me with this problem?

Thank you,

Fred Y.

1. neilestrick

neilestrick

Hi Fred,

Please re-post this in the Equipment section of the forum.

2. Fred Y

Fred Y

Thank you.  I'm new to the forumv - how do I do that?

Fred

3. neilestrick

neilestrick

Go to the Equipment Use and Repair section and click Start A New Topic.

14. Looking for objects to use as large saggars

1. Min

Min

Are you asking for suggestions?

2. JohnnyK

JohnnyK

Try large flowerpots and their saucers (as toppers)...

15. Has anyone tried using a ceramic fibre kiln for soda firing by coating the fibre with a high-zirconia coating to protect it from erosion. The coating would still erode, but it might do so sufficiently slowly to prtoct the fibre, though it would need to be reapplied from time to time. Any comments, especially any actual experience?

1. Min

Min

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is the Status Updates section, it is more for general things people have going on rather than specific questions. It's hard to search this section so it's better to post your question in one of sections of the forum, for this question Equipment Use would be a good place. Just click on the link and follow the prompts to post.

16. gunars

My first vase

17. Looking for plastic jars that will fit on my Critter Spray Gun.  Anyone know where to find?  Thanks!

1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK

Harbor Freight? Fuhgeddaboudit...

I just looked at pictures of the Critter gun and it looks like a Mason jar ring that holds the jar in place. So basically any jar that will accept that lid would work. Marshmallow cream, Marie's salad dressings, Best Foods or Helman's Mayo might be considerations...

2. Denice

Denice

I don't know if it would be a strong enough plastic but a peanut butter jar might work.   The other day I was making a sandwich and I accidently switched lids with the mason jar the jelly was in.  It worked!  The peanut butter was store brand the same size as a mason jar.    Denice

18. This is superb. What did you use to get that orange?
  19. In the late 60's my ceramics class did a Japanese Raku tea ceremony.   We didn't have a charcoal fire,  we used a small kiln.   The cups were made by hand with Raku clay just as they were in the ceremony in the 1500's.  They were taken out of the kiln red hot.   They sat and cooled down  to the point they could be dunked in  a bucket of water.  We didn't glaze them with a lead  glaze like the original ceremony.  They all survived even though everything was rushed,  it was only a hour class.  Denice

1. Kelly in AK

Kelly in AK

The REAL thing. Wonderful. 

20. “The quickest firing I’ve done is a wet pot off the wheel into a red hot kiln. Bisque ware in 30 minutes.“

Hi Kelly,

I came across this in a post of yours, from 2022, in the “Fast Firing” discussion. 

It’s not that I want to do this, it’s just that I would love to hear more of the whys and hows of the situation that allowed this to be successful!  

Thanks,

Karen

1. Kelly in AK

Kelly in AK

Someone told me it was possible, I figured I'd try. I had a little test kiln. Just had to see it, no good reason why. It's completely impractical.

So I got the kiln hot, threw a little cup and set it on a chunk of kiln shelf. I set that on another shelf, so I could slide it into the kiln, pushed it in with a stick. 

2. KB3d

KB3d

Thanks!

21. Hello,

As an advanced amateur potter, I'm looking to improve my technique for turning large porcelain pieces.
    Ideally, by learning from a master in Korea. Do you have any contacts or experience to share?

Many thanks in advance!
    Claire (Geneva, Switzerland)

22. Still to cold to work in my studio,  by the time I got it warmed up the day would be over.   Our second cold blast in the last three weeks.  This one is colder but shorter, it suppose to get up to freezing temp by Sunday.   Denice

23. Does anyone have the mold where I can get the bisque of Tampa Bay train through mountains?

Thanks for your help

24. Thought I would let you know I found a doctor in my town,  only one doctor in a town of half of million that does SRT-IG radiation treatment.   All the other doctors want to slice open a flap and then do facial repair later.   I am to old for that and I don't heal well.  Insurance won't cover it but we can afford to pay for it.  Right now stuck at home too cold and icy to go out,  it is suppose to get down to -3 later this week.  Denice

1. Joseph Fireborn

Joseph Fireborn

Glad you found someone to do the treatment you want to be done. I wish you all the best! Keep in touch.

25. image.jpeg.d17a9c0ee5a44f56736e0de70eede819.jpeg

1. Gpw

Gpw

Hopefully this image will clarify the question of strange blow outs.   My 35 years of throwing the best I can come up with is junk in the clay.  When it first happened the blow out piece was still attached to the bottom.   This is on the side and does not extend onto the bottom.   

26. The inside of the cup is full of pits, what ever you are drinking will have residue that will build up in the pits. Impossible to get it totally clean, you can get food poisoning drinking from it. Same thing can happen with crackle glazes and glazes that aren't a good fit to the clay. Some ancient societies ate off of pottery that wasn't vitrified or glazed, they would get food poisoning and break the plate to prevent someone else from using it. Some people say they broke the plate to release the evil spirit, I have had food poisoning it does feel like a evil spirit. Denice
  1. Load more activity
  • Recent Status Updates

• Hulk

Was catching up on foot polishing, washing, and inspection this week, then took a few new pictures.
      I like this teapot. It pours well too!

· 0 replies
    • SWalker

A woman is selling this kiln for $750 I was wondering if that would be something worth buying or if that price a bit too high? 

· 2 replies
    • pottery007

Hi all, any and all questions posted by me will be related to an ongoing research I am currently conducting on the possible applications of biophilic design in creating sound generating pottery. I came across a captivating story on ancient sounds being recorded on pottery only to realize that it was all a hoax. Anyway, it led me to exploring other ways in which we could probably include mechanisms that could create sound through clay/ceramics/pottery. I am exploring an indirect implication of biophilic or natural elements such as the imitation of the sound of wind, water, bird sounds etc. through pottery all while figuring out if there is a niche for this.
      It would be extremely great if I get responses and any help of the sort would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
      · 0 replies
    • High Bridge Pottery

There's a skip full of IFB for free. Now to work out how many I can fit in my car/garden.
      · 2 replies
    • Joseph Fireborn

dropped my bison trimming tool that I have had and used for 9 years.
      · 4 replies

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.