L&L vs Cone Art Kilns

Does anyone have a preference for one or the other of these brands of electric kilns? I was looking for an ~7cuft electric kiln and the two that caught my interest the most were the L&L e23T-3 (https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/L-L-E23T-3-Easy-Fire-Kiln-Special-Package-p/lke23t3-cm.htm) and the Cone Art 2327D (https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/Cone-Art-GX2327D-Kiln-Package-p/tucgx2327dp.htm). Very similar but with slightly different features. Was wondering what you all thought would be the best choice between these two.

One other intriguing option is the L&L E23-JH. With the vent system added the price is similar to the above two. It would let me do cone 10 firings but has a smaller cuft: https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/L-L-CONE-12-KILN-E23S-JH-for-Crystalline-Glaze-p/lke23sjh.htm

Edited by HenryBurlingame

I love the L&Ls -not to famailar with Canadian cone arts to much. LL has the great element holders and has well thought out details like cooler held off controls.

Just a note about cone 10 in an electric-if thats the goal (cone 1 firings) then spring for the high cost elements or plan on replacing them a lot even with the high price ones they wear fast at cone 1O. Also consider the S thermocouples for better life . Neil here has the most experience with them and I'm sure will advise.-He is also a distributor in the east.

You can't go wrong with either one. They are very similar in construction aside from the element holders. Both have zone control, neither one requires element pins. The L&L will be easier to replace bricks, but if you're careful with your kiln you won't need to do that.

There's very little reason to fire to cone 10 in an electric kiln unless you're doing crystalline work. Glazes won't turn out the same as if fired in a gas kiln to cone 10, because most cone 10 glazes are made to fire in reduction. If your'e firing in oxidation, cone 6 is a much smarter way to go. Your kiln will last longer, your elements will last longer, and your firing and maintenance costs will be much lower. If you are going to do crystalline work, then the L&L JH model is the way to go. It's rated to cone 12, is built with K26 bricks, and has type S thermocouples, so it can handle the high temps much better.

Shop around for best pricing. 'Packages' aren't always the best deal. Since you're in Washington, I highly recommend calling Rob Battey at Northwest Potter's Supply if you go with the L&L. He's a great guy and has been providing tech support for L&L for years.

Thanks guys,

I was thinking about crystalline glazes and tenmoku oil spot glazes for needing to go above cone 6.  But I am not sure how much of that I would be doing.

I want to keep the kiln on a 60amp breaker which is why I don’t just go for the  JD230-JH. The smaller e23 crystalline kiln is enticing, but if I end up in the future just using the electric kiln for bisque firing and doing most of my glazes in a gas kiln I would regret getting anything significantly smaller than 7cuft electric I think.

Oh and I wasn’t planning to buy a bundle, just found some convenient links to the different kilns so everyone would know what I was thinking about... I will definitely give Rob a call if I decide on the L&L.

@HenryBurlingame  I live in Colorado and  all I have are accolades for Rob Battey.  He has been my "phone" support for 11 years.  When I call or email with panicked questions, he is there and walks me through everything.    I have 1000 firings on my L&L e23t.  It is a great piece of equipment.  A friend of mine has a Cone Art. Again, a great piece of equipment.  As far as I am concerned, the only drawback with a cone art kiln would be the extra element in the bottom.  It's another element to  replace.  

Roberta

I bought a  L&L  from  Neil a couple of years ago,  I  also purchase the longer lasting elements.    Few months before that I purchased a Paragon Caldera test kiln,  both kilns  have thicker bricks  and the same Barlett controller.   The paragon doesn't have the element holders,  it is a very small test kiln.   The thicker bricks gives a more accurate results.   Denice

love my L&L (and bob battey from 2002) but wish i had known about the kiln that is a little wider and less deep.    now that i cannot deny that i am a senior citizen, i find lifting the round shelves i have been using for over 20 years is getting to be too hard to do.   at 5ft5 inches, reaching the very bottom requires my standing on a 4 inch high stool.

many are so warped they could be used as pasta bowls.

they are the thick, heavy kind,   wish i had the $$$ for advancers.:unsure:

Edited by oldlady
correct

Old Lady I feel your pain.  I am in the process of getting rid of my kiln.  I'm approaching my 84th birthday and am 5 inches shorter than you.  It is too hard to get those old shelves into the kiln.  I will go back to getting my pieces fires at the Club studio that I belong to.  Love the idea of the old warped shelves as pasta bowls.  Big party eh?  Lin