Scrape The Glaze Bucket, Or Not?

Not glaze firing very often, dried crud accumulates around the sides of the glaze buckets. I read that if this happens then need to sieve the glaze and place into a clean bucket before using the glaze. 

Should the dried stuff be scraped off the sides of the bucket and put into the glaze slurry then sieved? Or should the dried stuff be discarded?

I vote for scraping everything off the sides and bottom, let it all dry, grind it as finely as possible, re-hydrate the batch, and run it all through a sieve before applying it.  If the stuff on the sides of the bucket isn't just bone dry, I scrape it off into the liquid below and spend a little extra time with the mixing blades...I sieve everything anyway before spraying.

Definitely interested in hearing what the pros recommend,

-Paul

I scrap my bucket sides every few months. I use a power a mixer on a drill and do not sieve them but doing so will not hurt anything.I do spend some time power mixing with alarge jiffu mixer si it all get blended.

When I mix up a new bucket thats when I scrap it all down and start over by adding this to the new dry mix and sieve it all into a clean bucket.

One last note -some glazes really build up on sides and if I'm low and just want to get by I scrap this off into buckey and mix it well so I do not have to make a new bucket that week.I mix glaze about every two weeks in production and it seeems thats about 2-5 buckets per month.I'm working with about 12- 15 glazes currently.

Mark

tom, sponges waste glaze, just wipe with a rubbermaid spatula every time you use the bucket to keep it clean.  if it gets away from you just mix it all together and sieve with a normal 60 mesh.  i do sieve because i spray.

evelyne,  want to revise that 800 mesh screen?????

You should never have dried stuff along the inside of the glaze bucket. Wipe with a sponge.

Tom.

I always have dryed stuff in inner bucket edges- it gets wetter towards the glaze level Its never been an issue.

HAHAHA

TJR, you would have a coronary episode if you saw my clear glaze bucket...the sides kinda look like a few miles of Death Valley fire trails. :D I'm a very bad guinea when it comes to stuff like that. I guess I'll scrape that bugger tomorrow; I'll probably get a lot more glaze, lol! Just a bit rough on the back, that sieving, so I tend to avoid it in favor of doing other things. :D I also only glaze maybe three times a year, so I tend to forget about my splashies in the bukkit. #rodentbrain

Jiffy mixer blade. It's basically a mixer drill attachment.

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-15-181-Stainless-5-Gallon-Container/dp/B008BFVLBS/ref=pd_sim_201_2/184-6657078-3294433?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WXKW10ZPH6CRH78XTS1

thats just an example, the one i have has a much longer handle.

I also use toilet brushes after I have re-jiffied my mix inbetween every dip. I am kinda OCD about it. I open the glaze bucket up for glazing then I jiffy it for like 1-2 minutes. then I usually mix with toilet brush between every dip.

Archived