For Christmas.

I love the obviously photoshopped bacon!! 

For me (this will be my first holiday season selling pottery) I plan to make and sell a lot of beer steins.  I have a german stamp that I drew up and sent in, and a polish eagle stamp I had them make.  So hopefully it will fit about 85% of the population of Wisconsin Germans, polish, and beer drinkers. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my next show my records say bring 550 spoonrests-I threw the last one today. now its glaze 200 of them along with all the rest of the holiday pots._its arare day -no kiln going-just loading a bisque and some waxing and some throwing and trimming.Ha yes its the season of madness.

humbug

Yeah, the Photoshop on the bacon, is a little rough. Feather the brush and/ or selection!

So either that's a fake ad, that was made to mock the US obsession with bacon, or it's real, and the ad maker couldn't be bothered to do some proper editing, or just take the photo of the mug with actual bacon in it.

Babs, it's the standard brown sugar (sugar with the molasses still in it).  I mainly use it for baking, but I understand people put it on breakfast cereal too.

I do not use a sugar saver, and honestly, mine stays just fine in its sealed container.  

But the idea of making some, and giving them away as customer gifts, is a great idea!  How high/ low would you fire them; 05, 06, lower?

We just put a slice of apple in our sugar. Most of the time it's not necessary as the sugar doesn't dry out.

TJR.

We just put a slice of apple in our sugar. Most of the time it's not necessary as the sugar doesn't dry out.

TJR.

I'm feeling left out now, I don't have any sugar, I've got plenty of salt, and bacon, and cheese, always lots of cheese.

ok, you folks in the UK, what is caster sugar?  in the US, we use granulated in coffee, tea and on cereal, powdered on donuts and to make icing for cakes and dark or light brown in making cookies (biscuits to you).  is caster sugar what you put under the wheels on furniture? :huh:

Believe it or not it is a different spelling, castor and caster.

One of these is a soft small crystalled sugar used in baking fine cakes and biscuits.

Coffee.. Demerara brown sugar. Large chunky crystals.

Brown sugar for baking... soft, mushier than caster.

Dark Brown Sugar as above but used to be less refined, but now I think they just add back more molasses.

FOr Xmas.... D brown for Puddings, Brown for cake, caster for cookies, granulated for Tea. Demerara for coffee,

Must be a multitude of pots for these different needs.

We haven't even mentioned hone.

Does anyone have an ant proof honey pot design??

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_sugar

Caster (or castor[31]) (0.35 mm),[30] a very fine sugar in Britain, so-named because the grains are small enough to fit through a castor, a form of sieve. Commonly used in baking and mixed drinks, it is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States. Because of its fineness it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar and is thus especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. Castor sugar can be prepared at home by grinding granulated sugar for a couple of minutes in a food processor.

[31] The Oxford English Dictionary classifies both spellings as correct, but "castor" used to prevail.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, peter.  it sounds like our powdered sugar.

Oldlady,

Caster sugar is not a fine as our powdered sugar.  You can easily make caster sugar by putting the regular US sugar into a dry food processor with a chopping blade.  Pulse 10 times for few seconds each pulse (more or less depending on how much sugar you have and how powerful your food processor is)  until you get a finer sugar. There are many links on the internet and even some youtube videos which explain how to do this too. 

-SD

I made some ornaments which are wish keepers.  Hollow, pierced so light shines through with a lid.  You write your wish on paper and put inside each year.  I also made some jewelry bowls which I attached to a pedestal.  Never made either thing before so it was a good experiment!

The one with the tail is a "knob practice" ornament. The blue colour is a celadon glaze, the darker brown is what red art looks like as a cone 10 slip, and the toasty colour is a thinly applied shino. The silver and gold are acrylic paint.

They were a lot of fun to make! I'm totally doing more of these next year!

Lol. Spoon rests?!?

I made a bunch of these as kiln fillers, and my students were giving me a hard time. They asked "will you be disappointed if you don't sell any?" I cheekily replied "I'll be disappointed if I sell them all." Wouldn't you know it? I sold every one. The next class I wasn't asked how did your sale go, I was bombarded with "How many spoon rests did you sell?"

Those turkeys. I did have a moment of redemption, as I was loading their work in a bisque load I found a number of spoon rests squirelled away in all manners, inside lidded jars, inside a stack of bowls... I didn't say a word.

Gotta love the spoon rest-funny you mention them

I'm off to my big Tempe AZ show this week and my van has over 550 spoon rests in it. My notes last year said to take that many as I came home with 9 last year.

You have to like an extra few K for some spoon rests at a big show.

They sell like hot cakes at x-mss

I did a post just on making and selling them a few years back here.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/2407-spoonrests-or-top-ramen/

If your( anyone who reads this) in Tempe at the Tempe Festival of the Arts show this coming weekend stop by and give me a shout out.I'm on Mill ave between 4th and 5th.

Mark

Archived