Check Your Tools

When I first started throwing I didn't understand how to recycle clay.  So It piled up.  After two years and about 200 lbs. of clay to recycle, I tackled it.  I have recycling down.  When I unloaded the kiln last week several pieces had tiny pieces of metal sticking out of them.  I decided to re sieve my glazes.  They are in the garage, something must of fallen in.  Then on Monday I was trimming.  I usually trim very soft, leather hard at the hardest.  Well, by the time I got to the last pot in the stack it was pretty dry.  While trimming my tool broke.  Now I don't have very good eye sight, even with glasses.  I'm looking closely at my tool and can see it had worn down to paper thin before it broke.  It was a cheap tool, but my favorite.  This morning, I am throwing with some of my recycled clay.  Every ball had bits of metal in it.  I am near tears.  I have about 50 lbs of clay I just recycled, wedged, weighed and balled for throwing.  I think I need to throw it all away.  I don't mind picking the bits out if I cross them when throwing.  But if I miss a piece and it shows through the glaze it won't look good.  If your still reading, thanks for listening to my rant.

-chantay

Ya know, I would say try and think of recycled clay as a bonus and just go with the flow when it does not work out. At the end of the day you're reclaiming all that can be reclaimed and keeping waste to a minimum and that's really what its all about, right?

Maybe just hold it to the side and use it when you are experimenting with a new form or use it up making a round of new garden pots for your personal use.

I am learning to just go with it when things go wrong as issues just seem to pop up at the most inopportune times, don't let it take away your Zen :-)

Sorry your clay got contaminated Chantay

Metal in recycled clay is a problem. My sad story is that I do metalworking in the same studio as where I throw clay. I was noticing ugly dark spots in some of my finished pieces and they turned out to be metal particles that were thrown out when I was cleaning up welds with a grinder. You would be surprised how far the grinder shaving fly... some right into my slop bucket!

I am more careful now and never aim the grinder anywhere near where the clay is being worked. I also have a fine mesh screen over the slop bucket. It slows down drying time but Keeps, at least the big chunks out. I also put a garbage bag over my wheel to keep stuff from getting into the wast tray.

What a pain after all the effort! To be on the safe side, I'd use it for test pieces - either construction, decorative techniques and glazes or for making chucks for turning or wadges of clay for securing pots to the wheel when turning, then it won't matter so much & you won't feel so bad if these bits come through after firing.

Guest JBaymore

Mix the clay with lots of water to a slurry.  Pour it thru a screen.  Metal stays on screen.

Plan B........ Mix the clay with lots of water to slurry.  Get a honkin big magnet (assuming the metal is ferrous type)... and hang it in the bucket of slurry.  Stir it up. 

Dry out the slurry in an old pillowcase hanging up ove the ground letting the water drip out.  Wedge when stiff.

best,

....................john

Try a wedding ring! Handbuilding was my excuse, not so much feel for me.

Nice effect..

but I don't think the understanding stretches to no.3 ring!!  Now I just leave the rings on.

Also some lead pellets for an air rifle, that was prob worth pursuing but had to show the right amount of  disturbance to my son. No pellets in my part of the shed.

I went and bought another batch of clay. I had been thinking of switching to a red.a good time to do it. Meanwhile I am trimming more bowls. Taking forever for them to dry with steady rain for two days. Wore through another trimming tool. Have some heavy duty ones ordered.

Have you thought about making your own trim tools, like the hacksaw blade trimmers Hsin Chuen Lin makes and uses? Might end up less expensive and more durable in the long run...

Anyone use these straight on wheel head i.e. no bat?  Or are they just used as feet trimmers?

Anyone use these straight on wheel head i.e. no bat?  Or are they just used as feet trimmers?

I make my own trimming tools from metal banding strap (it's used to tie stuff together on pallets - and becoming harder to obtain as often replaced now with plastic) but I don't run them on the wheel head.

If there's any preliminary trimming to do just after throwing (which will be down to the wheel head)  I use wooden tools, I make those too.  ^_^

Simon leach has a couple of vids of him makeing trim tools out of banding material.

Ive made several out of both.   Note that the banding material comes in several thickness and the thinner stuff doesnt work as well as some of the thick stuff.

With my wood working shop I've also made some plate ribs as well as other wooden trim tools.

Yeah, I use wooden tools to cut excess away from the bat or wheelhead, too. For a while I used my pointed stainless trim tool, but quickly realized that I was dulling the crap out of it, and quite pointlessly at that. The wooden knife cleans and undercuts just fine.

I need to figure out something.  ANOTHER tool broke today.  This time the metal loop at the end of the handle just came flying off.  It left a divot in the bottom of a foot ring.  I have some better quality tools but the are larger.  I have been doing some detailed foot rings and like the small cheap tools.  I ordered some new ones but it is hard to tell what they look like on the web site.  I was packing a box of stuff today that I am selling and came across another mug with a bit of metal poking through the glaze.  So frustrating.

chantay

I saw this same hacksaw tool video quite a while back and have to admit that I am a huge fan!  These make terrific trim tools and great tools for 'chattering' effects.  Last Christmas, these were the best received gifts to clay-art-potter friends.  The wood handle may be extra work and not completely necessary, but it sure makes for a more comfortable fit.

trim-tool-small.jpg

...and yes, I can't help myself from sketching on just about anything.

Years ago I had access to a free outlet of new band-saw blades. These were in different tooth count, so I could have some with small fine teeth, and some with courser teeth. I used a vise, and a mallet to cut them into lengths, used a pair of pliers and a belt sander to remove the burrs and shape the edges of the flat lengths, and used a torch with the mallet and a vise to bend 90's and 45s in them for trimming. These were some of the very best tools I had, and with a wooden handle, I saved broken fettling knife handles, they worrked very well. At the same time for very little cash I had a whole series of tools for the handbuilders for scraping, and scoring.

Hack saw blades are my favorite tool for leveling of a plate form before trimming in the foot. They also work very well to smooth the inside of the foot ring. I buy bulk packs from Harbor freight.

Metal can melt though kiln wash. Check your kiln shleves. If the metal touches and permeates the kiln shelf, it will leave a metal scar that remelts with every firing and can ruin the bottom of any pot that touches it. (Words from experience when the metal wire a student decided to experiment with on a piece ended up as a puddle that melted through the wash and onto the kiln shelf. It was impossible to chisel or grind off and still active years later.)

Also, I don't think the metal came from your tools...most likely from other work with metal in the vicinity. What you're describing and what your picture shows would require losing a piece of metal from your tool that you would notice at once. Clay is abrasive (some more than others); metal tools wear down over time.

Archived