Is this a stupid idea?

Lbegley

5 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

Bill: I have a ten page article on sanitary ware I am trying to find. Read it about 5-6 years ago: although the article was mainly based in the reduction of failures on the assembly line. They did get into firing temps however: as I recall it was around cone 1-2....But it has been too long.  Next time I get up to the warehouse, going to cut up a few tank lids and take them on a test drive. 

Denice: back in the 40-60's, absorption test were done in autoclaves with 100 psi of 350F steam injected. There are numerous journals from those days on atmospheric moisture causing delayed crazing. They autoclaved glazed pieces as well, in an effort to pinpoint that problem.

Tom

Sounds right, I remember 2400 F pretty clearly (I Think) so that ties in with cone 12 nicely

lots of articles in ceramic monthly years ago about kohler.   they have such a huge factory that a car kiln runs continuously taking those nice, new toilets from dry to finished over a very long time.   same time that kohler had potters come in and do exactly what lbegley wants to have.  i am not the only one who remembers the urinals with tongues hanging out of them, am i?  they were hoping for new ideas and they got them.

and the pipe company that let potters come in and work got some really interesting designs, too.    anybody doing this kind of thing today?  i haven't gotten the magazine in years, they can not program a computer to use different addresses in different months so they piled up for 5 months waiting for me to get home.    this was back when vcrs could do everything but start your coffee but nobody could just record a program and play it back.

FYI...The Great Pottery Showdown was a series that was filmed at Stokes on Trent for at least 2 seasons and I believe it was during the second season that the participants had to make a functioning toilet. I just don't remember which episode it was, but it was one of the later ones. I found the series to be original, fascinating , and inspirational. It was cancelled for apparent political reasons. It was the type of show that you could easily binge watch. Check it out and enjoy!

JohnnyK

• 2 weeks later...

Tom

Thats going to be hard to use in there with that low head room.

Is this one of those New composting toilets that use electricty to burn upo the waste??

One last note-be carefull when going number# 1 if the power is on those elements-I have seen a goat go #1 on an electric fence and its not pretty. That billy took off with fire in his eyes along with some painfull parts.

Just now, glazenerd said:

Mark:

The auto sanitizer model: when you flush the kiln door closes and fires to 1000F automatically. 

Man that makes my toto model obsolete, I'll miss the hot water rinse.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTO-SW573-01-Electronic-Cleansing/dp/B009IJ2LM4/ref=sr_1_11?hvadid=177781869105&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032386&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10221997487006215624&hvtargid=kwd-349929984&keywords=toto+washlet&qid=1554690331&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Archived