Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

Last week I watched The Captain's Paradise starring Alec Guinness and
they showed a cup that was being used for hot chocolate. Even though it was
cast in a mold, it had a double trimmed foot, like mine, but double.
The form was elegant, like it was made by rayaldridge with the subtle
changes in form. It was used twice though out the movie.

Another movie watched last week was The Ladykillers starring
Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers. Not much on pottery but very funny.

I think if you liked Dial M for Murder, you'd really like
Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt with Joseph Cotton. There
is the typical 1950s tea set used at the table but not much in the way
of pottery.

I gave away my Reefer Madness movie to my little brother, so I
can't review it again for pottery. My brother has "bad movie" night
where he and friends try to find the worst movies to play, comment on
as they are the Sci-Fi 3000 theater channel and throw stuff at the
screen,(mostly popcorn). I have a copy of VideoHounds Golden Movie
Retriever so when I finish a movie dvd, I highlight it in the book
and usually give the movie away.

Any emblems or designs from movies and youtube videos are freeze framed
and sketched to be incorporated on the side of a pottery vessel later.

See ya,

#22 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I have paused movies to look at pottery on shelves and end tables too! I don't recall which ones but my husband gets annoyed when I tell him "quick pause that" and when he realizes it's for a pot instead of me getting me up to pee or fill a glass of wine he will push play again hahahaaha

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#23 Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:31 AM

he will push play again hahahaaha

That's why I'm in charge of the remote.

#24 alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

I'm probably the last person on earth to know this, at least find this
out, but my DVD remote control has a magnified button. It ranges from
1/2 size, 2x, 3x, and 4x the size. So I can freeze the frame, and
bring an image of pottery from the background to the foreground.
Its pretty helpful looking at the credits as well.
See ya,

#25 Mina Tanaka

Mina Tanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

It might be a bit late to reply to this topic but anyway!

If you like korean dramas, dramas about ancient Asia or korean ceramics... this one is definitely for you!

Search online for "The goddess of fire". 

It is in its original language but english subtitles are included. It is the story of a child who aspire to become the best ceramist in Korea. Because it is a korean drama, friendships, betrayal and intense plot are to be revealed. And of course... Thousands of sublime ceramics. Hard to imagine but almost all characters are potters. Evil potters, potter heroes and potter friends in a beautiful, yet very dangerous adventure to become at any cost the #1 elite ceramist at Bunwon, the Joseon dynasty royal kiln.

Attached Files

#26 Joseph F

Joseph F

covered in glaze splatter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

Oh man gotta watch that

#27 Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

Me too if it's a really great movie I get so involved I forget it's subtitled.  Denice

#28 terrim8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

I just watched The Magnificent Seven on Netflicks. Eligh Wallack is the bad Mexican with 40 raiders.

Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner get together 7 gunslingers to save the town.

Lots of terra cotta pottery. Even in the bar, they are drinking out of terra cotta mugs. Some coloured slip application.

2.In the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly," there is a great scene at the beginning of the movie, where the "bad" is staring down the farmer over a big plate of salad and squash. Looks delish. They are eating with hand-carved wooden spoons. You know that the farmer is going to;"bite the farm", as it were, and he does.

Nice big platters though.

Eligh Wallack is the ugly in this one. Can we say; "type cast"

Love that movie. A bit long though.

That's funny, must have been about a week ago? my husband was watching it too and noticed the terra cotta. All I could think of was "how many times have you watched this?"Now I'll have that theme song playing in my head for awhile- again.

#29 AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

I know what you mean Lucille I've a habit of looking at pottery in most films and television programs too.

#30 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

I'm surprised the Netflix series Marco Polo got no mentions on this thread yet. Tile work and porcelain!!! Eeeee!

#31 Rae Reich

Rae Reich

Rae - Unusual Clay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Not the pots, but the potter's tool featured in two different mysteries I saw lately (reruns), both featured garrotting by cut-off wire!

p.s. Loved "The Goddess of Fire"!

#32 preeta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

till i touched clay an occasional pot would catch my eyes. nowadays....

there are usually some nice pots around interviews. esp. in political campaigns. everytime i watch my favourite news shows i always wish they'd use handmade cups with logos instead of the generic cup. 

netflix Grace and Frankie series has some really nice pots and cups. in fact sometimes i'd lose the story line watching what Frankie was drinking out of. in fact tomorrow i am about to copy a cup Frankie was using (handbuilding) because i think our fake shino ^5 would look great on it. 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

#33 PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

I am always looking for pottery in movies and tv shows. Madam Secretary is one of my favorite shows and many pieces are displayed in the background of the sets. My wife and I had the chance to go to a "talk" last December with the main characters played by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly, producer Morgan Freeman, another producer and the show's creator. After the talk questions from the audience were permitted and I jumped up first, got the microphone and said that I was a local potter in NYC and noticed all the great pottery in the main characters' home. They all laughed and the audience went wild. It wasn't your typical " I love your show and your character is great and what is going to happen to them?" question that they were expecting. When the room quieted down I asked how would I be able to get some of my pottery on the show? The crowd went wild again. The producer said to call them but I walked up to the stage and handed them my business cards. The show is produced right here in Brooklyn and it would be easy to drop off a few pieces. I didn't even want money. I did call them after not having heard from them for a week but never received a return call.

#34 alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Noticing pottery on the screen works both ways... The last time I watched an episode of Dr. Quinn,medicine woman was because of a piece of pottery. I put up time after time the steotypes, clich├ęs, rewriting history, etc...but there was one scene that showed a San Illdelfonso pot from the 1990s on a cooking fire!!! I reached over and turned the TV off. It was a terrible show to begin with!.

#35 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:05 AM

that is funny, Alabama. I think by the time of Medicine woman, the NA were cooking in iron pots. I have friends in Montana who go to rendezvous and everything has to be authentic and accurate. 1840s were the peak trading days for trappers and tribes in the Upper Rockies.

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,
Montana State University-Billings

Marcia Selsor Studio in Brownsville, Texas.

#36 Cline Campbell Pottery

Cline Campbell Pottery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey near Philadelphia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

I used to stare at the casserole in the middle of the kitchen table on Downton Abbey.

(apologies for bringing in TV.  But it is PBS)

#37 oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

thanks, cync, i found that the thing everyone wants us to watch (and i do!) Goddess of Fire, is a tv show in korea.  have to look into getting all the episodes and some popcorn.  a big bag of popcorn!

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#38 Joseph F

Joseph F

covered in glaze splatter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

I have been watching Marco Polo on netflix. In the first season there are tons of scenes of the Chinese royalty drinking tea from awesome cups.

#39 No Longer Member

No Longer Member

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:34 PM

And here I thought this thread was about Cheech and Chong... :lol:

"Dave's not here man......." :P

Either I'm getting better looking with age....or my vision is getting worse... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users