Pots in Movies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched The Magnificent Seven on Netflicks. Eligh Wallack is the bad Mexican with 40 raiders.

Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner get together 7 gunslingers to save the town.

Lots of terra cotta pottery. Even in the bar, they are drinking out of terra cotta mugs. Some coloured slip application.

2.In the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly," there is a great scene at the beginning of the movie, where the "bad" is staring down the farmer over a big plate of salad and squash. Looks delish. They are eating with hand-carved wooden spoons. You know that the farmer is going to;"bite the farm", as it were, and he does.

Nice big platters though.

Eligh Wallack is the ugly in this one. Can we say; "type cast"

Love that movie. A bit long though.

TJR.

That's funny, must have been about a week ago? my husband was watching it too and noticed the terra cotta. All I could think of was "how many times have you watched this?"Now I'll have that theme song playing in my head for awhile- again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

till i touched clay an occasional pot would catch my eyes. nowadays....

there are usually some nice pots around interviews. esp. in political campaigns. everytime i watch my favourite news shows i always wish they'd use handmade cups with logos instead of the generic cup. 

netflix Grace and Frankie series has some really nice pots and cups. in fact sometimes i'd lose the story line watching what Frankie was drinking out of. in fact tomorrow i am about to copy a cup Frankie was using (handbuilding) because i think our fake shino ^5 would look great on it. 

I am always looking for pottery in movies and tv shows. Madam Secretary is one of my favorite shows and many pieces are displayed in the background of the sets. My wife and I had the chance to go to a "talk" last December with the main characters played by Tea Leoni and Tim Daly, producer Morgan Freeman, another producer and the show's creator. After the talk questions from the audience were permitted and I jumped up first, got the microphone and said that I was a local potter in NYC and noticed all the great pottery in the main characters' home. They all laughed and the audience went wild. It wasn't your typical " I love your show and your character is great and what is going to happen to them?" question that they were expecting. When the room quieted down I asked how would I be able to get some of my pottery on the show? The crowd went wild again. The producer said to call them but I walked up to the stage and handed them my business cards. The show is produced right here in Brooklyn and it would be easy to drop off a few pieces. I didn't even want money. I did call them after not having heard from them for a week but never received a return call.

Noticing pottery on the screen works both ways... The last time I watched an episode of Dr. Quinn,medicine woman was because of a piece of pottery. I put up time after time the steotypes, clichés, rewriting history, etc...but there was one scene that showed a San Illdelfonso pot from the 1990s on a cooking fire!!! I reached over and turned the TV off. It was a terrible show to begin with!.

that is funny, Alabama. I think by the time of Medicine woman, the NA were cooking in iron pots. I have friends in Montana who go to rendezvous and everything has to be authentic and accurate. 1840s were the peak trading days for trappers and tribes in the Upper Rockies.

Marcia

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Star Trek.

All the series but specifically the original Capn' Kirks which I've been reviewing on Netflix recently. Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager also. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Suddenly I'm noticing not only some great period mid-century ceramics in the way of figures and vessels scattered through many star trek rooms, courtyards, etc; but also the best and most varied collections of Brutalist (Brutalism? idk...) sculpture, esp wall pieces but a lot of free-standing sculpture also. Some episodes have a ton more than others, some not at all. I think I saw various Lisa Larson figures or things like them. Anyway I'll let you guys figure it out the actual artists, but I enjoy my hobby of Spot the Art while enjoying Sci fi.

The classic sci fi movie "Forbidden Planet" has a handful of beautiful sculpture by Sascha Brastoff, presumably metal and maybe a little concrete? They inspired some attempts at a ceramic fish wall sculpture series I'm trying to do; my skills aren't quite up to it yet but If I can ever figure out how to attach a photo...I can show a work in progress.

Anyway, several delicious  pieces of mid-century art inside a beautiful modern house, worth watching just for the art but a good movie too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It might be a bit late to reply to this topic but anyway!

If you like korean dramas, dramas about ancient Asia or korean ceramics... this one is definitely for you!

Search online for "The goddess of fire". 

It is in its original language but english subtitles are included. It is the story of a child who aspire to become the best ceramist in Korea. Because it is a korean drama, friendships, betrayal and intense plot are to be revealed. And of course... Thousands of sublime ceramics. Hard to imagine but almost all characters are potters. Evil potters, potter heroes and potter friends in a beautiful, yet very dangerous adventure to become at any cost the #1 elite ceramist at Bunwon, the Joseon dynasty royal kiln.

Enjoy!

Found it on eBay. Since it is a Korean drama I have hopes that my niece will watch it with me! :) 

there are usually some nice pots around interviews. esp. in political campaigns. everytime i watch my favourite news shows i always wish they'd use handmade cups with logos instead of the generic cup. 

netflix Grace and Frankie series has some really nice pots and cups. in fact sometimes i'd lose the story line watching what Frankie was drinking out of. in fact tomorrow i am about to copy a cup Frankie was using (handbuilding) because i think our fake shino ^5 would look great on it. 

You should send your favorite news anchors a handmade mug with their station logo on it. :) Then you'd get to see them using a handmade mug.

After reading Giselle's post I decided to lookup the Korean movie on Amazon Prime. No luck but I found a Documentary called "Cultural Trilogy - Ceramics" It compares Chinese, Japanese and Korean ceramics. 46m long

• 3 weeks later...

You should send your favorite news anchors a handmade mug with their station logo on it. :) Then you'd get to see them using a handmade mug.

i watch the news all the time and my fingers itch to send a cup. except i am not good enough yet. but when i can throw well enough i might just do that.  ;)

Archived