Sign in to follow this  
Stone Spiral

Attaching Dry Pieces To Each Other

Hey there,

A lady who uses my studio made a mug and handle, but did not attach them together. She didn't return before they both dried out.

She moistened them both, scored and slipped them, and adhered them together -  but then of course as they dried they began to form cracks along the join.

She's wondering if there is anything that can be done here?

I don't feel confident that there is - I have always added my handles while all clay is fresh or leather hard. I do have some bisque fix I could offer her to patch the little cracks around the handles... might that work?

Any advice would be great - I will pass it on to her when she comes in next.

Thanks!

Spooze

1/3 dried clay, the clay used to make the mug and handle

1/3 Karo syrup, or any cheap syrup

1/3 white vinegar

mix all up. Spritz the joining areas with vinegar prior to attaching. Smear the spooze on both pieces, attach. Hold for 30 seconds. Let dry. The area may need sanding, depending on how much spooze was slathered on and wehter it squirted out. Then bisque, or glaze if doing single fire.

I used this on a goblet that had dried too much before attaching the stem. Of course the goblet broke off at the join. Applied spooze and then handled the greenware goblet with gusto.  Pouring in/ out glaze for the liner then spraying glaze for a single fire. You cannot tell it was broke. 

Also. After you attach the handle with the spooze solution, put it in plastic and give it a week to dry slowly. The moisture needs to absorb slowly into both sides the handle and the cup to avoid the cracks. It still might crack or fall off during the firing though! Good luck!

Edited by Joseph F
preeta likes this

honestly so not worth the effort (unless lots of carving on the cup). she can easily pull off another cup and handle in the time she will use to fix everything. and this will be a second time around. 

just tell her to make another one. the second one always comes out better. more practice. this is a death defying activity. handle on the cup going against gravity. unless she props the handle against the cup.

she already learnt a huge lesson about drying from this cup anyways. 

The syrup makes the concoction very sticky. The handle will hold.

I had not heard that about drying slowly after using spooze. The goblet I used this on, I let open air dry overnight and glazed it the next day. I have also used this for a handle on a mug.

The 2 pieces MUST be bone dry. I tried fixing a mug when it was almost dry. The handle came off. Waited till bone dry and the handle stayed connected. 

Stone Spiral likes this

I have done 3 goblets and 1 mug handle. The join seems stronger then the clay itself. Try it.

Before I started single firing, some pieces were bisqued before glazing. Now that I am single firing 2 goblets were done like this and worked. In fact, after glazing the liner of a set of goblets, I realized 2 of them were the patched up ones. I was oblivious to any difference in handling.

I am sure one of our resident chemists could tell us why the vinegar is needed.