QotW: What is your need for the forum. Do you come for simple answers to your immediate problems or do you wish to have complex answers that include theory/formulae/graphs and numbers?

Over the years, there have been many times that I would look at a post, and ponder. .. .What is the poster telling us? I can't believe that all of the readers here want an extended dialogue that delves deeply into electrical theory or fluid dynamics or heat distribution theories, but then I am a simple person and could be wrong. I started off using the forum in the later days of my teaching career, after all I started teaching before there was the internet. When I finally found the forum it was such a blessing! I could finally get answers from folks like me that were almost instantaneous! It was so refreshing to hear how to repair a kiln setter or how to check elements when the kiln was not firing properly. I even found out more about storing clay over the summer months and so much more. Simple things, but at the time BIG answers.  Makes me wonder, how many here are interested in the deep dive of theory and how many really want the simple answer?

QotW: What is your need for the forum. Do you come for simple answers to your immediate problems or do you wish to have complex answers that include theory/formulae/graphs and numbers?

I don't belong to the forum for help but I do learn something new now and then,  I also like to help people learn.    I am not a theory/formulae/graphs and numbers potter,  I am a simple potter who loves clay.   I like to fill in the missing areas of answers with common sense knowledge that I had gained over the last  52 years as a potter.    All of my new studio equipment I have purchased has been recommended by potters on the forum.   Twenty five years ago I was wanting to purchase a slab roller.   Marcia Selsor  and several other potters recommended a Bailey,   my new L&L kiln was purchased from Neil after all the raving reviews.   Even my electric pottery wheel was found by Mark,  I have always had a kick wheel.  He thought I was getting to old to still be kicking.   He found one on Ebay  for sale.  a 15 minute drive and close to the area I grew up in.  The owner was so excited that I was a long time potter and I from the area he took my offer that Mark recommended immediately.   Amazing people on the forum,  a potter in California finding a wheel for  a potter in  Kansas.   Denice

If the answer is simple then I am happy with the simple answer but as the great John Baymore said "it depends" and things can start to get complicated quickly.

I really come to the forum because I like the single thread and continuous conversation. I have tried facebook groups but they drive me crazy with all the different comments and repeat information that is not easy to follow.

It definitely depends some questions have very simple answers and simple answers to more complex questions can be very incorrect and have consequences in life safety, as well as have lesser consequences in quality of resolution.  

As a former teacher, my observation was: marginally correct (rule of thumb stuff) travels fastest and is hardest for the student to formally correct. So from that perspective, most folks who come here probably would prefer the rule of thumb or easiest resolution ……marginal, perfect or barely functional.

I came here because it was an interesting open sharing of knowledge from folks with varying backgrounds and degrees of experience similar to those available in other professional boards and generally follow the single thread format as a built in form of peer review where folks are committed to working through issues.

I would venture to say as characterized, "deep dive of theory" just sounds miserable to me, although as glaze knowledge has progressed the explanations in general have more content than past. I would caution omission does not necessarily simplify. The overwhelming vote I think you would receive as asked ……….. is give me just the simplest, I think it is human nature.

I came to this forum long ago as I was recoving from a  seroius  wrist sugery called a PCR( Proximal row carpectomy). I wanted to know if any  funtional profesional potters has recovered  from this and been able to keep potting. I had one response in the postitive . I stayed on as I like the single line continuous threads. I had some to give and have learned some as well along the way. I check in now and then . I feel a bit of a loaner in the cone 10 reduction area with so many electric kiln cone 6 users here. I have had a fabulous run in clay after 5o years and still have a finger in the pie..Down to 8 outlets now and one art show. I have had many contact me from threads posted here long ago on subjects they are now working with.Its been a positive experience. Done some mentoring along the way as well with that  long ago program that was here. I worked with those who wanted to be professionals via Skype  Mostly in other countries. I have tried to share my mistakes a bit so others need not step in those potholes..

Edited by Mark C.

The forum is a place I like to visit precisely because of the variety of questions, answers, and discussions. Even though it's "just" ceramics, the range of topics is huge. And it's a great mix of people from beginners to experts. I really appreciate both the welcoming community spirit and the efforts made to answer questions in a way that's helpful to whoever is asking.

Some threads are open and shut quickly, others evolve into more complex explanations and discussions, and a few more develop in creative or philosophical directions. Things always have the potential to turn interesting, you just never know. I think that keeps me coming back. I do like to be helpful when I can and I have certainly learned a lot here over the years. 

I like "it depends."
Simple is good.
Eventually, everything is simple, heh.

I like the idea of supporting a wide variety of interests.
A great skill is "telescoping" to the level of detail appropriate to the audience, situation, context, etc. - zoom in where more detail is necessary (or even, of interest! :o), zoom out to the big picture. Zooming in/out some is appropriate in some Forum threads, my opinion.
Ah, the big picture, what's the point if there isn't a "big picture?*"

Ahem, some questions, could be lots of room between simplest and most complex responses - lots of gray.
Some questions involve detail, aren't simple ...at first.

When there is a problem statement (question), it's ok, my considered opinion, for the statement to evolve, to become more specific, or more general, to change as the problem becomes clearer.

Looking for info on pottery wheels a few years ago, found The Forum! ...and then read some archived threads and input from Forum regulars ...and became a "regular" myself.

Certainly, readers find the Forum for answers/information.
Looks like the overwhelming majority of "Online Users" are "Guest" - my guess is most of the Guests are reading, and some looking for specifics, however simple/complex.

Those that post, my next guess (that's two...) is that there are several reasons for participating, for example, I like/learned/made/destroyed/broke/invented... something and want to share it.

*Is there a mission statement, statement of purpose or somewhat like that here?
What are we trying to do here, exactly.

Added (from Wild Clay Pottery FB post):

"Simplicity does not mean ease and complexity does not mean difficulty [sic]
To do things with ease and simplicity one must inevitably go through challenging stages of complexity"

Edited by Hulk
insert missing "are"; + quote

29 minutes ago, Hulk said:

*Is there a mission statement, statement of purpose or somewhat like that here?
What are we trying to do here, exactly.

Terms of Use has it down pretty well.

"The spirit and intention of this forum is to facilitate the free exchange of information."

Quick simple answers or in depth when called for, I think the forum has built up a large wealth of  info that is freely given and shared.

As above, both! And the conversations and diversity in problems posted and processes followed.

Reading much and putting in a little over  the years have taken me to different depths of understanding of why working with clay is never boring.

So please keep the forum as it is.

I joined this forum about 12 years ago...I don't remember how I found it but was and am happy I did. I guess being new to the world of clay, I was looking for information about my new hobby. Here I found a place where participants freely give of themselves, their experiences, and their knowledge. I have learned much and have been able to provide what knowledge and experience I have in my world outside of clay that is helpful in the world of clay and will continue for a long while to come...