QotW: What is your latest background "noise" in the studio?

Hi folks, no new questions in the pool so once again I'll post one.

Periodically we seem to ask the same question about how you keep your company. Some folks have a pet they talk to, others listen to music, and some watch a little TV or have some other background noise. I  have been watching old movies mostly, as I don't have to watch them as I know them, but if interested in a particular scene I do watch for a few minutes. What is your preference?

QotW: What is your latest background "noise" in the studio?

Interesting Selection @Chilly I read a lot of the same! Mostly on a tablet, Ever read L.E. Modesitt? Social Science fiction/fantasy.

@Mark C.any particular genres, are there some with more play times, 60's, 70.s, Surf Rock, Country??? 

@oldladygenres? Mystery, scifi, fantasy, thriller?

My tastes in music and books runs all over the place, one minute it is Hard Rock and the nest it may be Classical Guitar, books may run from Sci-Fi to Thrillers and anywhere in between with a lot of the Classics thrown in. 

best,

Pres

Elderly MacBook connected to Studio's surround sound makes selecting locally produced KCBX* shows simple/easy; when not listening to "live" radio, I'll pick a favorite to stream. Sometimes I'll play music from my library, but not often - I listened to familiar music in my working life and have stopped collecting music since retiring.

When the weather's nice, I'll roll up the door halfway or so and listen to the birds, breezes, waves...

*Evening Blues, The Road Home, Across the Tracks, Morning Cup, The Club McKenzie, the Saturday afternoon folk music show (I like everything about it, except the Name - negative associations with broken spokes, see?), and several others.

The nationally syndicated shows can be streamed as well, however, I'll usually catch them when broadcast, else skip it, e.g. Democracy Now, TED Radio, Fresh Air, Bioneers, Latino USA, Counterspin, Hidden Brain...

The radio stations have gone down hill in our town so I have started listening to Sirrus music on my television.    Sometimes I listen to a movie or television show I have already seen.    When I designed my studio I put some nice big windows in it for light and the view.   I enjoy the light but I rarely look out the window,  I am usually so focused on what I am working on I don't look up.   Denice

@Denice I understand being in the zone! For years it was detrimental to my health as I would go to the shop at 6, and think I was going in at 10. . . . when it was really 2am. Even setting an alarm didn't work as I would turn it off and have to finish what I started, and then find something new!

@HulkSounds like a round of news snaps and social issues and I enjoy much of those also along with the Natl. Geographic, and history channels. Much ado about the next vacation trip or weekend getaway.

best,

Pres

@Mark C.good choice in Rock, but I do like some country, mostly ballads. . . Ghost Riders, Battle for New Orleans, some of that heel kicking stuff. However, rock is my biggest call, loved the golden oldies stuff, and the rock instrumental guitar as in the Ventures, all the way out to Hendrix and back.

best,

Pres

I have a number of playlists I made just for various studio vibes. My current addiction is music from the soundtracks of Korea according to Netflix. I loved the series Itaewon Class - here's my favorite track: https://youtu.be/U1Fxt5wCqAg    If you have a short attention span  after a bit of the beginning, pick it up again around 2:30 .   The song is known as Stone Block and is also known as Diamond (there is no literal translation from the Korean).STONE BLOCK.pdf

Edited by LeeU

And just for fun, you really should check this out, which, astounding to me,  is the SAME vocalist Ha Hyun Woo https://youtu.be/xgkDAEdSVeg  Also a great series (Stranger 2).  I made this bowl a bit ago, listening to Korean rap & hip hop, & glazed it w/Coyote's Aries.  This last piece fills my kiln, literally my first firing in a year--finally broke through the morass.  For some odd reason the K-films & music has been significantly instrumental in lifting my spirits. Update-just for fun, here is the finished bowl. It too is lifting my spirit! 

Aries-.jpg.cd33ee20da5c850679e7869efd633af8.jpg

Edited by LeeU

I've found as I get older that I do not want to hear music at all anymore. I can't stand the earworms that follow me all day long. Today it's Lizzo... 

I listen to a streaming local NPR station for a few hours, until it starts repeating itself. I've learned things about human sweat, the new Webb telescope, the color of Greenland's melting ice sheets, John Waters' latest novel and other random things I'd never know otherwise. They also have a bunch of youngster reporters talking about the things that youngsters like these days and I've got no idea what they're talking about!! :P

Audiobooks from the library: knowing that people are trying to ban Toni Morrison's books got me to read and reread some of her works, especially The Bluest Eye. Luckily, I live in a county where they are doubling down on providing more access as opposed to reducing it. Also went through a few Anne Tyler audiobooks recently: French Braid, A Spool of Blue Thread, Noah's Compass. Historical fiction is good too.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:31 PM, Pres said:

@Denice I understand being in the zone! For years it was detrimental to my health as I would go to the shop at 6, and think I was going in at 10. . . . when it was really 2am. Even setting an alarm didn't work as I would turn it off and have to finish what I started, and then find something new!

@HulkSounds like a round of news snaps and social issues and I enjoy much of those also along with the Natl. Geographic, and history channels. Much ado about the next vacation trip or weekend getaway.

best,

Pres

I did the same thing,   my studio was in the back yard and my husband would throw rocks at it at 2 in the morning.   I had been wanting a telephone installed  (before cell phone),   he finally decided that was  a good idea.     Denice

I tend to like abject brain candy when I’m working. I listen to NOTHING that threatens to edify me in any way while I’m in the studio. 

Just finished off the latest Patricia Briggs audiobook in her Mercy Thompson series. Been waiting for a year to figure out who the heck Sherwood Post really was, and it delivered! I will not spoiler if you are also a fan.

Spent most of the summer going through all 4 of Annette Marie’s Guild Codex series in reading order. Sounds like a lot, but they’re only 8 hours each, and they’re like potato chips. You go through them quickly. I love that they’re set in Vancouver, but I do cringe at the reader’s pronunciation of the word toque, and a couple of place names. (The place names I get. But it’s “took” as in the hobbit! Not toke, as in.. nevermind.)

Currently looking to trade urban fantasy recommendations. I need a new series.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:16 PM, Pres said:

@Mark C.good choice in Rock, but I do like some country, mostly ballads. . . Ghost Riders, Battle for New Orleans, some of that heel kicking stuff. However, rock is my biggest call, loved the golden oldies stuff, and the rock instrumental guitar as in the Ventures, all the way out to Hendrix and back.

best,

Pres

Pres My family made surfboards in the 50s before foam boards (balsa and redwood stringers) so of course I have the ventures etc in that mix-also saw Hendrix back in the day, light his guitar on fire so yes have some of him as well, The diversity is huge in my mixes of cds-as I have more than the 2 x400 cd players can hold. I also have a huge mix goin g with pandora thru the iPod as well pumped into our stereo system in house with 7 sets of speakers around like a pair in kitchen,living room ,office ,salt kiln area, studio ,Kiln loading area,BBQ backyard area.

I like music when working so I wired it in in the 80s everywhere. My friends family owned Cerwin Vega speaker Company so all my speakers are Cerwin Vega's

Music is a big part of life around here.

Fabulous history there Mark, I only got so close to surf boards, living at Hikam field in the late 50's early 60's. Closest I got to surfing was body surfing at Bellows beach, HA. Often thought I would have liked to surf. Pandora we play through the Alexa, and the new one is pretty good in the sound department. Wife has it on all the time for her "noise".

best,

Pres

We toured all over the island, and saw much of what was left from the attack. . .bullet holes still in administration building, Pearl Harbor naturally, the army base in the valley that the Japanese missed, and the cross that marked the first aircraft over the island. I would be at Punchbowl every Memorial Day putting leis on graves of the fallen as I was a Boy Scout at the time. We left after my 6th grade.

best,

Pres