2 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

As I said earlier, in this county, there is a large contingent that feels that mask wearing is not necessary.

As do I that's why I asked. I liked your idea of a 10% discount idea and  thinking how I will deal with those  wearing a chin guard. Maybe I'll post a sign reading "10% discount for those wearing a mask that covers their nose and mouth"

We went to an outdoor wedding on July 4th and there were only the two of us out of 80 wearing a mask. We left within 15mins. Its not a political thing, its a smart thing at our age.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Smokey2 said:

Maybe I'll post a sign reading "10% discount for those wearing a mask that covers their nose and mouth"

Why slip & slide & provide people with the implication that not wearing it properly (i.e. rendering it useless) will "only" mean they don't get 10% off?  If you haven't yet had the experience of watching a previously healthy younger person be dying of covid, source of transmission unknown, please understand that's where I'm coming from and I am not being snarky.

Make it a requirement--nose to chin, properly fitted-- or they do not get to enter your area. People need to stop messing around with other people's health when the consequences can be so severe--at any age, as we are beginning to find out. Nothing is guaranteed to reveal if an asymptomatic carrier is among the crowd-not taking temperatures, not asking 6 questions, not being tested negative, not -not -not any guarantee of safety.  Masks,  gloves, sanitizer, physical distance, etc. at least help a bit to prevent the invisible spread to you/your family.

Sadly I wish it was that easy @LeeU. FWIW I had two relatives that passed during this pandemic. Young or old this isn't a thing I would wish on anybody.

Lately major chains have announced that wearing masks is mandatory only to find it is impossible to enforce.  A few days ago I went to Lowes to pickup something I needed for a home repair. Right in front of the only entrance was a sign stating that is mandatory to wear a mask to enter the store and to check out at the register. As I was entering there was a couple behind me going in as well, neither were wearing a mask. I stepped aside giving them social distance and let them pass. The guy turns and stares at me and angrily says, "Yeah, what are to going to do about it?"  This is in front of a store employee supposedly asking customers to wear a mask. I looked at the worker and he shrugged his shoulders and he was a big burly guy which I am not.  I was a bit shaken and said nothing knowing that was the safest course of action.

People are motivated by money which is why I liked Roberta's idea. I avoided using the word "proper" because there are those that look for reasons to be offended. I don't want confrontation I want to sell some pots.

If I were to get push back on the mask wearing at my personal retail space, I would no longer be having a retail space.  There has been nothing my husband or I have been able to say that will change people's minds. I am saddened and heartsick about choices some are making, but I have to take care of me and mine.   Selling my pots in public, is not important enough to me  to risk my health.  Trying to fine tune the online experience.  I have been able to hang on to some small wholesale accounts, some online sales, some custom work.  I am fine.  I did find out this morning that people were respectful of my request and were appreciative of the 10% discount, I saw a friend in the early morning shopping hours at the market this morning  and she commented on how she never wears a mask.  But she did at my sale last week.  I guess I have to take that as a win.

Roberta

Please know I was not looking to stir up controversy.  We do a great job here of steering way clear of  assertive arguments or "discomfort" within the forums as a whole and the topic threads. I know that is important and valued--so I don't speak to the mask situation without careful thought.

An individual booth/tent sale is a defined space, such that the owner has control over their signage at the threshold or outer boundaries.  My point was this is not a situation in which to be wishy-washy about it. In the current environment it is real OK to be firm, clear & upfront with the signage.  How potters do--or do not--take care of themselves & others in their selling space is important.  There is no guarantee of total compliance, and I'm not suggesting anybody call "security" if some boorish fool gives you lip---yeah-let it go-and then decide if it's worth exposing yourself any further...it only takes one. 

That said, I had a secondary reason for posting what I did, in this particular forum. I was also thinking of the hundreds of readers, most of whom are likely active in the clay world one way or another. I assume a large portion of silent viewers are looking to the active regular commenters (especially our "resident experts", so to speak)  for a bit of guidance or input for their own needs.  What kind of message is being sent? Do we back off from the hard aspects of the discussion of masks at tent sales/craft shows? Is it a message that says it's more important to avoid "offending" some anti-masker than it is to decisively require (to the extent reasonably possible) health-protective behavior in our own space,  seeing as how we are immersed in a potentially deadly, rapid and easily spread virus? 

New Hampshire may be an outlier, but our general population is embracing masking and not defying the businesses that are either requesting or requiring their use to enter and move about among others.  All the places where I've gone (very limited, for sure!), on the same clear sign that masks are required is the statement that masks are provided for free if the customer doesn't have one.  That seems to make a difference--I watch some guys (sorry--it is never the women!) look at the sign kind of scowley faced, then look a little twitchy, and then look at the person  holding the sealed packages of masks, and  instead of barging past, take the mask and put it on.  @Roberta12  Yes, that IS a win--and that friend's respectful capitulation may end up with her spreading her new "environmental education" in mask-wearing  to others!  

14 hours ago, LeeU said:

Please know I was not looking to stir up controversy.  We do a great job here of steering way clear of  assertive arguments or "discomfort" within the forums as a whole and the topic threads. I know that is important and valued--so I don't speak to the mask situation without careful thought.

An individual booth/tent sale is a defined space, such that the owner has control over their signage at the threshold or outer boundaries.  My point was this is not a situation in which to be wishy-washy about it. In the current environment it is real OK to be firm, clear & upfront with the signage.  How potters do--or do not--take care of themselves & others in their selling space is important.  There is no guarantee of total compliance, and I'm not suggesting anybody call "security" if some boorish fool gives you lip---yeah-let it go-and then decide if it's worth exposing yourself any further...it only takes one. 

That said, I had a secondary reason for posting what I did, in this particular forum. I was also thinking of the hundreds of readers, most of whom are likely active in the clay world one way or another. I assume a large portion of silent viewers are looking to the active regular commenters (especially our "resident experts", so to speak)  for a bit of guidance or input for their own needs.  What kind of message is being sent? Do we back off from the hard aspects of the discussion of masks at tent sales/craft shows? Is it a message that says it's more important to avoid "offending" some anti-masker than it is to decisively require (to the extent reasonably possible) health-protective behavior in our own space,  seeing as how we are immersed in a potentially deadly, rapid and easily spread virus? 

New Hampshire may be an outlier, but our general population is embracing masking and not defying the businesses that are either requesting or requiring their use to enter and move about among others.  All the places where I've gone (very limited, for sure!), on the same clear sign that masks are required is the statement that masks are provided for free if the customer doesn't have one.  That seems to make a difference--I watch some guys (sorry--it is never the women!) look at the sign kind of scowley faced, then look a little twitchy, and then look at the person  holding the sealed packages of masks, and  instead of barging past, take the mask and put it on.  @Roberta12  Yes, that IS a win--and that friend's respectful capitulation may end up with her spreading her new "environmental education" in mask-wearing  to others!  

@LeeU speaking for myself, I did not take your comments as controversial whatsoever.  My husband and I were talking about this thread last night over dinner.  And maybe it's because a number of us are in the over 60 demographic and have learned through many events, that caution and science will help us make another trip around the sun.  The requirements and thinking seem to vary a great deal all over this nation of ours.  I think this is a healthy discussion to have.  Thanks for your comments, @LeeU

Roberta

16 hours ago, LeeU said:

@LeeU, I didn't find your posts regarding safety while selling pots to be controversial. We have (many) threads on the hazards of breathing in silica dust etc, firing of manganese containing clay and glaze, if contamination with the covid virus is possible with wet clay and so forth. How to go about selling pots in a safe manner follows along those threads on keeping people safe. It's a worthwhile discussion to have. 

I agree fully with Min. Discussions of matters of occupational health and safety are fully valid here, and it's one that affects people globally at this point. As far as I can tell, the group here is pro-science, which means we look at facts from credible sources, and we acknowledge that conditions change and and new information emerges all the time.  Within this particular section of the forum, that means discussing how these realities affect us and how to deal with them. I think conversations on how to approach customers regarding masks in YOUR place of business are a perfectly germane topic. Discussing how a given policy affects your business or needs to be implemented is valid.  Sharing ideas on how to work under these conditions is what community is about, IMO. No one has mentioned anything involving a political party or any member thereof anything regarding this topic, no one's endorsing any weird conspiracy theories and everyone has been respectful of each other. As far as I can tell, there has been no reason to interrupt a good conversation.

16 hours ago, LeeU said:

Please know I was not looking to stir up controversy

I too didn't find your comments controversial, its always a good thing to have a conversation on how to accomplish different ways to be safe.

While it seems that you and I are on the same page about safety, our situations differ on how people around us behave. Now if we can hash out a way to get the rest of this continent to agree with us we'd get through this problem a lot quicker

Thanks--I am glad not to be misunderstood. Last night I was going to come back and add that I view being clear/firm, even directive, about masks etc. in one's own space to be just the same as using safety glasses, welding gloves, respirators, wet vacs etc., and that includes some parameters for visitors--ex. people are not allowed in bare feet in my studio-I just know there's some almost invisible Dremel splinters on the floor somewhere! But I fell asleep.  

On 8/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, Smokey2 said:

Lately major chains have announced that wearing masks is mandatory only to find it is impossible to enforce. 

put me down for thinking its a great discussion as well. We all want our lives back and our shows happening again.  Ya know while it is disheartening that there are those who still refuse to help us all out by wearing a mask I will say the mandate has made a huge difference in my area. Before my city passed the ordinance I would go to Lowes and I mean there were a handful of old people wearing mask, including the clerks and managers.  That was particularly annoying because I had to deal with them. Now I go to Lowes and 99% if not 100% are all wearing them. Sure there's the burly tough guy without one but man what a difference.

I get that its no guarantee but they are saying if everyone has a mask on the chances go way down and even that one guy whose holding out doesn't come close to negating the positive effect the new mandates are having. Most people will comply and before it seemed to me anyway that almost no one did it on their on (at least here). 

Normally side walls I think are a must but thats to make you and your neighbor separate . The sale you are speaking about is near solo ,so I think side panels are not needed-maybe one side to stop wind or sun. If you are thinking using this later after covid at shows then yes you will need them if nothing else but to close up at night in a 3-or two day show. For a one off show no need.

Get 4 sides so you can wrap booth at night.

smokey, you will be happy to have those sides, especially if you are sited next to a "fragrant soap" maker.  or someone who is burning something to make wood art.  or an unsightly background you would rather not have your customers see behind your beautiful work.

remember all the photos you have seen with some innocent tourist standing in front of a smokestack or something coming out of that little tourist head.

23 hours ago, Smokey2 said:

How important would you consider side walls?

Side walls are incredibly important. Buy all 4 sides. They can separate you from the neighbors, which can be a big deal sometimes, but they also protect you and your customers from sun and wind and rain. I often raise or lower mine to allow air flow or to block the sun or rain. I've been in many shows where I've had to close up all 4 walls and sit inside waiting for a storm to pass. You can't always get packed up before the storm hits, and you have to wait it out.

Another thing that I find essential for a canopy is an awning on the back so I can get out of the sun or light rain. I can fit myself within the walls of my booth with my display if I need to, but it's a lot nicer to have the extra room in the back. If the brand of canopy you buy doesn't have an awning available, you can make your own or buy brackets from other manufacturers that use the same size tubing.

I bought a used one from a person I know who said they only used it twice. Its not as good as the one Neil pointed out but it cost the same as renting so it was a no brainer.  It has all the much standard stuff, along with 3 sides, and a 4th with a door that rolls up, I guess that not unusual. Like how else do you get in!

An awning is a good idea, I'll look into that

smokey, practice putting up your tent before your first event.  there might be some small thing you could overlook on the big day.   you must have weights!   super important to have something heavy on each leg to prevent wind from getting under your tent and turning it into a four letter word, kite.  

think about your setup and where you will be standing or sitting.  remember you will need to bring along water and maybe something to munch on since you may not be able to leave the booth to buy food.    try to find out where you will set up the tent for the show.  it will matter if you have to face the sun when it is the hottest part of the day.  that side might be the best place for an awning.

1 hour ago, Smokey2 said:

I bought a used one from a person I know who said they only used it twice. Its not as good as the one Neil pointed out but it cost the same as renting so it was a no brainer.  It has all the much standard stuff, along with 3 sides, and a 4th with a door that rolls up, I guess that not unusual. Like how else do you get in!

An awning is a good idea, I'll look into that

I use my back wall as the awning rather than a separate piece of material. It's one less thing to carry, and I can let it hang down below the frame to block more weather. You can do that if you have the right type of awning frame, pretty much any that has two arms and a cross bar.

I'm happy to see that folks are getting back to sales. Busy roads with off areas are ideal, and when a large enough parking area is available, big +! I am also glad to see that folks are wary of not weighting canopies. I can't imagine the trouble if a canopy landed on that busy highway, always remembering the drafts from something like an 18 wheeler going by. Lots of good information here.

Folks need to add Tags to posts like this to help the search engines find relevant information easily.

best,

Pres

I always use my 1/2 zippered wall (enrty door withg zip down center) in rear of both and use some 6 foot small wood sticks to clip inside canopy to hang the 1/2 panel for shade outside back corner where I sit. Two sticks and 6 clips hold it all in place. I also carry some fabric to hang sideshade walls to that back rear overhang. I have had melanoma revoved and stay in shade as much as possiable.

You cannot do this if booths are back to back. Only when back space is there. For me thats most of my shows.

I had 6 side panels custom made about 20 plus years ago they are extra wide and have extra long velcro on them with super duty zippers so when I inclose a double or single booth (I have done many doubles in my fair career ) it leaves a bit extra to zip it all together at close up time.They cost about 500$ back then and have really been worth it.

@oldlady Good advice all around. I did five shows last year and always had a friend help me, we always had supplies like coffee and such. She is the person that encouraged me to get started and to do this one-person pop-up show next month and is ecstatic and eager to help me again.

@neilestrick Good idea

@Mark C. I was thinking along the same idea. I have a tent that has a door flap that is held up by two poles. I'm considering installing two grommets in the canopy door and use those tent poles to do the same thing.

That will work but then you need some rope and two stacks to hold out the poles. I'm on the street alot and asphalt and stakes are a bad mix.

The wood or small conduit clamp in the upper crosses very well as stick out as much or as little as you need (very adjustable)I use pony clamps . Then fold whatever fabric you need over the exxtensions and clip up the excess .

• 1 month later...

My show yesterday and it was a success, perfect weather and over 100 pots sold with a median price of a little over $20. A few times there were 5-6 people at one time holding pots waiting to pay me. Everyone was polite, excited, friendly and happy to get out and buy something. It was great.

I had a sign saying "Masks Please", above that there was a graphic of a person wearing a mask and below the words "Thank You."

We had decided not to confront people for not wearing a mask nor did we give them a discount for wearing one. Only one person didn't have one on even though we had ours. She was at the end of the day just as we started to pack up. She was by herself and the wind (5-10mph) was at our backs so we didn't worry.

We're talking about doing it again next month.

Archived