Congrats on you sales! 

As far as masks go, I will say this, we have a gift shop in a small southern gun totin conservative town, and my wife kicks people out of our store every day, "my doctor said...." nope, sorry you cannot be in here without a mask. We are the only store with a sign and the only one requiring masks, and it has not hurt our sales, people tell us all the time they came in BECAUSE we are requiring them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, Smokey2 said:

My show yesterday and it was a success, perfect weather and over 100 pots sold with a median price of a little over $20.

you did 2 grand at an afternoon popup show in the middle of this pandemic, wow. Congratulations that's great. 

Also consider that I spent a little over $500 on a canopy, banners, spandex table coverings and fliers. Yes it was a big success.

It is/was my opinion that people just wanted to get out on a beautiful day and shop.

In the town where the event was doesn't have mail delivery, everyone needs to go to the Post Office. They have a bulletin board there that was practically empty where I place my flier in a prominent place, which I beleive added to the success.

Since my show there have been a few more pop-ups and a couple of food trucks (a first for our area). There are three pop-shows that I know of next weekend. I think I started something.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, shawnhar said:

As far as masks go, I will say this, we have a gift shop in a small southern gun totin conservative town

Around here there are an equal number of maskers and anti-maskers. My household is probably the only one that doesn't have any firearms in our politically diverse neighborhood.

I decided that it would be best not to confront either side. Live and Let Live

• 3 weeks later...

We had our second pop-up show this past Saturday. The weather forecast called for a slight chance of rain until 8am then partly cloudy/sunny for the rest of the day.

At 8:30am when we started to setup it was 63 degrees. By 10am it was 50 and started to rain with a strong breeze. By noon it was 42... at least the rain finally stopped.

I'm not complaining, people still came. We did a little better than 70% of the sales we did a month before. Despite the lousy weather it was still a success.

I just got approved with our county health Dept for my usual outside (open 3 sides) xmas pottery sale )

I think this year I will do a shorter version at 12 days before xmas-do the Friday -Saturday Sunday then close two days reopen every day till xmas . I am lining top my saales staff now

You submit your plan and they decide (pretty easy )You print up signage they send you about wearing masks and hand sanitizer . Its the thing tyhats common around here for business.

This booth is in front of a pet store and the manager told me since the pandemic started the buisiness is through the roof wilh everyone working at home with their pets. 

I'm working on stocking up inventory now as my usual outlets have been buring thru theirs as well

I thi9nk this is my 41st year in this shopping center. When the ppandemic started I thought this sale  was the only covid safe one I could do as we only have one ot two customers at a time and its outsdie in covered area open 3 sides.. I'm going to use a large sales table to push out the sales area and hang plexiglass with a gap below so pots can land on the table to get wrapped up.I bought all the stuff some time back thinking I may do this sale. Now its on .We have a huge campaign here -and its working well-the slogan is.

Please Wear your mask don't make us ask

My summer farmer's market turned out to be a lucrative and safe shopping environment.  Because it was outdoors and the roadways were unpaved (oil on gravel), it wasn't really possible for vendors to put out the ubiquitous 6' spacing lineup stickers. But the event organizers kept the capacity numbers under a certain point, so there were never any heavy duty crowds, and since the venue is huge and outdoors, it was easy to keep spaced out properly. Most were good about waiting their turn to approach the booth while those outside their bubble shopped. Vendors were required to keep a table or some other equivalent barrier between ourselves and customers. We had to submit a self-screening form to the health inspector every week, saying that we were symptom free and hadn't travelled in the past week. Plexiglass shields were recommended, but not required. Masks were recommended but not required. I should note here that the number of active cases in the region were under about 300 all summer, and now that numbers are going through a more serious spike, those last 2 recommendations are becoming requirements. Yes, I and most of my booth neighbours wore masks. There were no health alerts linked to this market at all.

It has been the most lucrative year I've ever had at that venue!

For better or worse the authorities by me don't seem as fussy. There was a craft - food truck show at a local community park that to me seemed haphazard at best organized chaos at worst . It was packed and we left after 5-10 minutes once we got the feel for what was being sold.

It has been the most lucrative year I've ever had at that venue

Each of my two shows in the last few weeks have been way way way better than the group shows I attended last year. My best friend pointed out that people who come  my show are there to look at and buy pottery with no other buying distractions around. I can't help but wondering if once the pandemic is over will doing a one person show work as well?  I guess time will tell.

If you can have a good location where you are the attraction it will usually be better. Thats what My xmas sale is  for the past 41 years. I'm the only thing there and folks either look or buy and there are zero distractions . It will not matter pandemic wise. Most potters never get thier own location or never develop one but if you start early its gets really good over time.I suggest sticking with that  idea as well as shows with others.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my 3rd and last pop sale this past weekend and it was a success. I ran out of pots to sell :D

Looking to find a sweet spot, each show I trickled my prices up a bit and I'm still had people tell me "Is that all?"

But the highlight of the day was when a woman told me  her family are potters in Japan and my work is exceptional and that I should be proud of my work. She bought a few pieces and said she will be shipping them there.

Archived