7 replies to this topic

#1 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Strange as it sounds, I was just wondering how many of you out there take the time to level the potters wheel in the studio? I have just moved my wheel and re-leveled it. Many years back, I noticed a student had moved a wheel from one area to another, and seemed to be having a problem with a tall narrow cylinder. Close inspection of the area showed that the floor dipped nearly a 1/2" on the one side. This set the wheel off level by a few degrees, not much for many throwing tasks. However, if you looked at throwing a tall cylinder, the pot would be going around off center 18" up nearly 2" off. Strange little thing, but can mean a lot.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I never have- with any of my wheels might be a mythbusters question?
My stool is wonky but thats a another issue
I may be an off center guy anyway.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 cracked pot

cracked pot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Strange as it sounds, I was just wondering how many of you out there take the time to level the potters wheel in the studio? I have just moved my wheel and re-leveled it. Many years back, I noticed a student had moved a wheel from one area to another, and seemed to be having a problem with a tall narrow cylinder. Close inspection of the area showed that the floor dipped nearly a 1/2" on the one side. This set the wheel off level by a few degrees, not much for many throwing tasks. However, if you looked at throwing a tall cylinder, the pot would be going around off center 18" up nearly 2" off. Strange little thing, but can mean a lot.

After moving my wheel, I started to notice that the foot ring on my bowls was not the same height all around. My husband suggested checking the level. It was only out about 1/4 inch but once corrected, my foot rings were even again.

#4 Kabe

Kabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMo.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I level my wheel. I worked as a finish carpenter for a lot of years. You learn to really like level things. Ain't clay fun Kabe

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

With 11 wheels that get moved almost daily, it's just not possible. But my floor is pretty good, and I've never noticed a problem.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Dear All,

I too have worked on a wheel that was not level. It drove me crazy. It was, as has been mentioned, the foot ring problem that made me nuts!!! Everyone said "just shim the leg." While shimming would be okay for once in a while you really need a level to ensure it is correct.

In my new studio, I insisted in the pouring of the concrete that the floor was level. I actually made a big deal about it. Last week, my contractor had his big level out and we checked my wheel head and lo and behold it was perfect. The bubble was in the center of the guage.

I think part of my decision to get a Soldner wheel was based on the fact you can adjust the feet. When and if I move my clay studio, at least I will have these feet ready to make the throwing and trimming surface level.

I do think, testing the level of your wheel from time to time is good studio practice. It can prevent a melt down when you repeatedly throw pieces you think are solid only to have them ruined by an uneven foot ring.

Nellie

#7 SShirley

SShirley

Cow Creek Pottery

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPittsburg, Kansas

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yes, I do level my wheels. I even tried to make a leveling system out of pvc parts that fits on the legs of the wheel but it didn't work too well. Maybe that is something wheel manufacturers should consider adding.

Sylvia

#8 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hey,guys and gals;
Too many great answers here to name all of you. Some of you know that I moved my studio over Christmas. I hurt my back. Been going to physio for two months. It turns out that my right leg is longer than my left by half an inch. I noticed that when I write on the board, it always slants up toward the right. So, the question is;If I am not level, how can I expect my wheel to be level?
You don't need to answer.
TJR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users