Community Challenge #5

gallery_23281_871_4656.png

Welcome to the community challenge #5

This is a place where we can challenge ourselves alongside other community members to create ceramic works within the constraints set out in each challenge.

The Challenge

This challenge is the 9 tile surface design challenge, as featured in the great pottery throw down. I thought it could be fun to try one :D

Your task is to make 9 tiles that fit and work together with your choice of surface design and theme

Examples

ACFmHne.jpg

tiles.png

The Rules

• Everybody can enter the challenge, all you need is a registered account on the forum.
  • Work in progress (WIP) images are encouraged. It can help to talk through your research and ideas but please don't spam the topic. Keep the updates informative and succinct.
  • One final entry per community member.
  • Attach images to your final entry post along with the text Final Entry - Forum Name
  • This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread. Also make sure you post your final entry in this thread to be entered into the challenge.
  • The challenge will run quarterly and will be
    • 1st February to 29th April, 
    • 1st May to 30st July, 
    • 1st August to 30st October, 
    • 1st November to 30st January.
  • The results thread will be posted on the last day of the ending month. It will be a collection of all the entries into one post for condensed viewing and some post challenge discussion.
  •  

The Rest
Remember you are entering for your own enjoyment and there could be a risk that your work develops into something new and exciting.
Be considerate of others and don't post opinions without good reasons to back them up. We are all here to improve and progress with our ceramics.
Some dates may vary slightly as this is a community run project and it will depend on members having access to the forum.

Have any ideas for a challenge? Post them in the ideas thread http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/7794-submit-your-challenge-ideas/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dammit! I don't have a slab roller. I don't even have a surface to roll on. This will be hard!

You don't need a roller, or an area to roll on. You can make patties by hand and cut them square on the smallest area or bat or plaster slab or ........

On ooh. I've made them already but left them on the "sale shelf" last week, either for anyone who wanted them or as an idea of something to do! And don't even take photo! Hope they'll still be there on Thursday.

Duh!

I did have fun making them tho.

For those who are thought challenged, like me, is this similar to a tic TAC toe board? I'm drawing a blank! Are there examples to view, like the hydria vase?

Thanks,

Alabama

I did try to find some reference but came up short. Exactly like a tictactoe board. Let me see if I can find something again.

EDIT - I obviously gave up too quick as that didn't take long :D

They don't actually have to be the same size if you so choose but that is up to you. 

Something like this?:

7bb4f04eb1d782baca3b154354c3a7a6.jpg

Margaret Boozer, "Black Pacific" (detail), 2011, Black stoneware and porcelain.

More about it: http://www.margaretboozer.com/commission%202011i.html

Man she does some awesome stuff. I love these murals.

Edit: I see you added pictures now. Yea this is what I thought you meant. I wish I got BBC I would like to watch that show just for the comedy.

Oh dammit! I don't have a slab roller. I don't even have a surface to roll on. This will be hard!

Kitchen table and rolling pin . . . but don't let mom (or kids) catch you. 

This is what I used to do. Now I just use the top of my multi level table. I just use two dowels I bought at a craft store for thickness.

Sounds like fun to me.  I'd love to hear tips/tricks from others who make tiles on a regular basis.  How about some advice on the following:

• Are there clay compositions that work better for tiles...perhaps those that might shrink less?
  • What range of thickness(es) seem to work best?
  • Are there steps to take to avoid warping/curling of edges?
  • If the tiles are intended for mounting/grouting, should the backs be scored for better adherence?
  • Does anyone have experience using a tile maker like this?

I'm a bit against the wall when it comes to tile making puns...so, for this challenge I have to ask "What's this agrout?" :rolleyes:

Peace,

-Paul

About a month ago I found Natalie Blake's site. She also has some great youtube videos of tile mural production. I will try something like this.

http://www.natalieblakestudios.com

Jed

Those are some excellent murals/ tiles.

The good news, for this challenge, is that there have been numerous topics on the boards about making slabs.  Paul, I think nearly every question you asked, has been discussed at length at some point.

This is unlike the last challenge where I had no idea what a Hydria was...

Paul: I was floored that you had some difficulty in the pun area with this challange. I dry tiles on or between drywall.

Yep. I must be slippin'. I must have a case of grout, for which there is no cure.  Its a travestine that I marble over...and take for granite.

I do like the drywall sandwich idea for drying.  I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

Peace,

-Paul

Posted Today, 04:58 AM

Sounds like fun to me.  I'd love to hear tips/tricks from others who make tiles on a regular basis.  How about some advice on the following:

• Are there clay compositions that work better for tiles...perhaps those that might shrink less?
  • What range of thickness(es) seem to work best?
  • Are there steps to take to avoid warping/curling of edges?
  • If the tiles are intended for mounting/grouting, should the backs be scored for better adherence?
  • Does anyone have experience using a tile maker like this?

Several clays will work: Cone 6 earthernware will work if you want to do some sculpting. B-mix stoneware for heavier pieces, or 50/50 porcelain/stoneware if you want to do a combination of thick and thin. Or reg porcelain if you need it for a particular glaze. Frank uses plain ole terra cotta and builds/makes detail-decos.

Slab thickness depends on glaze thickness: for my crystalline I roll out 1/2", but for cone 6 standard I roll out 3/8. The thinner they get the more susceptible to curling they become.

I know drywall is the most popular because it is the cheapest, but it is also the worst drying board because it sucks out moisture too quickly. Tiles dried on drywall are prone to cracking from too rapid drying time. I use 1/2" brazilian birch, but it is too expensive for just one use. So try some cheap ole 1/4" luan. Just slab roll on top a piece of luan, cut your tile size right on top of it. Allow a minimum of 1" gap between tiles, so as they dry they do not pull on tiles next to time. This also allows complete circulation of air around each tile. Allow them to sit open/uncovered from 4-10 hours pending on the temp and humidity in your work space. Just prior to reaching a leather hard state- cover and weight and let them finish drying. My clay is custom mixed and formulated, so I do not cover them at all.

Scoring the back has less to do with adhesion of mortar than it does allowing heat to pass under them while sitting on your kiln shelf during firing/cooling. If you are making a larger format tile ( greater than 6 x 6(, scoring the back would be advisable. If you do score the back then increase slab thickness to 1/2"

The two big factors you deal with in tile verses throwing are: plasticity and shrinkage. Plasticity is great for throwing, sucks for tile. An ovoid pot will shrink uniformly, a large format tile will not.

If you do not have a slab roller: lay out two pieces of 1/2 thick plywood spaced 4-6-8" apart and 12" long. Take your clay wire cutter and cut off a 3/4" thick slab off a clay pug across the length. Lay it between the 1/2" strips and roll it out with a rolling pin. Would not worry about using your regular rolling pin- clay cleans off easy enough.

I will take some pics of alternate solutions and post them later. Someone shoot me- I am helping the competition!!!!

Nerd

I don't have a slab roller. I don't even have a surface to roll on. This will be hard!

I don't either, I use two square dowels and a large rolling pin. Figure out what size you want to do and do them one or two at a time because the more clay you roll this way the harder it is to deal with. YOU CAN DO IT! :) I'm going to do it too. Let me know if you want a picture/video of what I'm doing and I'll post it for you. 

Oh dear there must be something wrong in my head.  I went to the centre today, and there were my 9 tiles, but only 6 of them on the shelf.  Then I remembered.  I only made 6.  So I have to make another 4.  Yes, I can count, but one of them will not suit the arrangement I now need for 9.

Happy days, I can really join in the challenge now.  And, I make make another set too.

Thanks Joel, looking forward to this one.

Archived