Here we go again, a New Year, a new router (the old one burned through after a lightning bolt hit the telephone mast) and a new QOTW. Thank you Marcia for taking over the QOTW last week!

Is everybody here having a bucket list? And what I am most curious to know: what's next on your list?

A new kiln? A journey to the moon and back? Giving to the poor? Trying something totaly crazy? Or????

Have a great week everybody!

Evelyne

Try to stick to the same style of work and work faster.  Go on a national cruise (Power tour) in a muscle car from the 60's this summer.  Try to be available for any exciting opportunities that come up.   I don't have a bucket list I just try to live each day the best I can.     Denice

At 60, I have yet to make a bucket list. Been sitting here thinking what items/things/places they might be. The problem is I am content; having done what I sat out to accomplish, gone to the places I cared to see, and have already lived larger than I had dreamed. At this point in life, I find more joy in helping others reach their dreams. I have always drawn waters from the well, buckets tend to be limited.

Nerd

Edit: it's a day later, and still have not thought of anything to put on my list.

Evelyne:

After thinking about this for two days, I remembered the only thing on my bucket list that I had taken off years back. I have long loved history and ancient culture; so touring through the Middle East was the one thing on my list. To see the Pyramids, the ancient ruins at Palmyra- that ISIS has blown up-- TY fools. To walk the ancient ruins in Jerusalem, or tour the ancient ruins in Mosul (Nineveh back then). To walk through Damascus- the oldest, continuously-inhabited city in the world. To go through the ancient city of Ur, Joppa, or Haran. The museum in Cairo, or perhaps the caves in Sinai. Sadly, the unrest and terrorism has taken that off my list. I do not expect it to calm down in my lifetime, so I will continue to read about it. I could however go to Berlin, Germany where many of the ancient artifacts from Babylon and Mesopotamia were taken back in the 1920's. There are still pieces of pottery around from those days. If you type in a search "Ishtaar Gate," the museum in Germany will come up. You can look at some "glazed" tiles from 575 BC.

Nerd

A couple of months ago I found my old dive certification card. Which allows the purchase of air for my air tanks. So the plan is to do some blackwater diving under the rapids of the Coosa river, alone, to see what's there. It will take some time and money to get ready since I bought most of the equipment in 1978.

See ya,

Alabama

glazenerd: you just made me cry. I really appreciate that there are people who sit down and think about a question I posted in the QOTW. What made me cry is your list of countries, towns, historic sites etc. that we can't go and visit anymore, either because there is war in those countries, or because the sites doesn't exist any more because of people who destroyed them. A few years ago I have been in the Louvre in Paris to see an Assyrian exhibition of doors and archs. Last year I have been in the Met for the Egyptian pyramid. Isn't it sick that we have to go to museums to see objects that should still be in their original countries (but can't because of the very bad people that populate this earth)?!

Alabama: I know how much you like diving, but is it a good idea to dive alone under rapids? Please take care! 

Isn't it sick that we have to go to museums to see objects that should still be in their original countries (but can't because of the very bad people that populate this earth)?

And it is equally sad that a number of antiquities are in museums (public and private) outside their original countries under some rather dubious reasons. 

Marcia: thank you for the beautiful pictures! I too hope that Nerd can go to Germany one day.

bciske: yes, agreed, but there is the discussion going whether to still have the antiquities, (no matter the dubious reasons why they are in the museum), is better than to loose everything for ever...

Evelyne:

Ah- the Assyrians- who used "clay" cuniform tablets to record the earliest notes in history.

Marcia:

Ty for the pics- very familiar with them. The 3rd one is Murdak- the false god of the Babylonians. The Ishtaar Gate/ the eight gate into the city of Babylon built by Nebuchadnezzar in the mid 560BC, before he conquered Israel. Murdak in the Semitic tongue was Baal- for you bible historians. The Philistines also had an image of Murdak, whom they called Murdoch.- on which they sacrificed their children in fire. ( lovely tradition- not).  Look closely at his feet: one is a lion, one a bear, one a leopard, and one like a man. Hmm..and the dude is a great red dragon. Ever notice that the dragon is in every culture around the world? Odd.

Nerd

My bucket list keep overflowing always!! i should stop the cravings of the mind?

Though the river is vast,a little sip quenches your thirst.

Though the earth has somuch food,just a small bite satisfies your hunger...All that you need are tiny bits.

Accept a tiny bit of everything in life---that will bring you fulfillment....

Vinks!

Archived