• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an urn that I made for my last cat which I need to cremate when its raining in my small gas kiln.

There is a large market for pets urns so consider that.

I have considered getting into that market as I wind down my Art show circuit  as I age.

And pet cremations too. Less hassle, only the owners are grieving, and few legal restrictions about it too. Visiting all the vets is all the advertising you need to do. Yup, if I wanted to make money, I would get into pet cremations.

• 3 months later...

She's done maybe six. My cousin needed one for her grandmother (not mine) and was complaining about how "expensive" it was ($150 and she makes a LOT more than we do).

I told her,

"Well,.... I have an ol' mayonnaise jar here you can put granny in...." :rolleyes:

I know that sounds callous but I was really mad at her (cousin-and still am; I've never have liked her). She didn't even visit our grandmother when she was dying and here she is going on-and-on about some woman who didn't care for her anything close to what our grandmother did...and then she's gonna cry about money....and then something about doing a "water burial" for her.

Stupid me, I guess I should offered to flush her too.... :lol:

• 1 month later...

My retired Veterinarian  friend always wanted me to make them for his clinic and I may some day put them in production as a wholesale item for vets around here-just have not needed to pursue another venture as I'm doing quite well with what I have going now.

I've made a couple of urns from wood over the years, both turned on a lathe and rectangular wooden boxes.

In reading this thread I've noticed that it wasn't mention on how to size an urn.

You might read on the web that for each pound of weight you should have 1 cubic in volume, sadly this is incorrect. .

After speaking to a funeral director (a couple actually) I learned that it doesn't matter if the person weighs 175lb or 350lb, the cremains are about the same at 200 cubic inches and the standard size container measures 6"W X 4.25" d X 8"H (inside dimensions).

Its easy to layout a rectangular box for the correct size, but throwing or turning an urn on a potters wheel or a wood lathe is not as simple.

The way I check the volume is to measure out 14.5 cups of rice for an adult human, 3 cups of rice for a good size adult dog and less for a cat.

1 cup of rice is 14.43 cubic inches so 14.5 cups = 209 cubic inches. Sorry to be blunt, I feel its better to have a little extra space than to not have enough space.

I'm not experienced enough with clay to give information on how to account for how much clay shrinks during firing but this is indeed something that should be considered.

Hope this helps.

Bones are what you have left when you cremate -what we refer to as ash is those crushed bones and glaze made from them is nothing New. I have heard and have friends who are in ash glazes for many many decades.

the fellow in that piece  in the above link has it sounds just stumbled onto this age old idea. I 1st heard of this in the 70's-my guess is its been going on across the pond for centuries.If you have been a potter for a while you will get asked to do just such a thing-its part of being a potter.

Not yet, and I do know what you mean. I have thought that it would be a good surface unglazed, but my feelings about something buried in the ground, if even in a vault is to be completely sealable.

On the other hand, I wonder about the exterior of bowls or such where the surface is left unglazed and the interior is glazed. I still wonder about absorption, cleaning and other things when working on functional ware.

best,

Pres

As a glass artist we can put a tiny bit of ashes into a pendant, marble or most anything.

I will not do it for profit but will do it free for people I have known personally in life. A pets ashes at normal rates as the art would cost without.

I'm a tender heart, its hard on me emotionally, I am more creative when im happy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I make dog and cat urns and once in a while, im asked to make an urn for a human.

I started and ran my own dog rescue, actively, for about 5 years. I brought up around 3000 dogs and puppies from  brutal, high kill shelters in the south.  When I had to cut back due to financial and emotional reasons, I started making custom urns and donating the profits,to other dog rescues.

I feel it is a sacred honor.  The hardest urn to make was for a 15 year old girl who,died from a lung illness. It said BREATHE on it. I was fine until I was packing it. Then I cried for hours. I hope that urn brings her Mom some solace.

nancy

This is one of my recent ones that was made for a man and his 3 hunting dogs. Most are still alive, but he says he is happier being prepared. The idea is as they go, they go in the urn, not putting any to sleep just because he died

.https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bG7Op5twmr0/WaLRBBOxdpI/AAAAAAAAAp0/DVhHKb70y4YIUhlAmYHgIx4jhYxHERmNQCLcBGAs/s1600/ButchesUrn1.JPG

best,

Pres

Archived