QotW: Have you have opted for digital scales, or anything digital of late because of the convenience or because you grew up with digital?

Hi folks, not much new in the pool for QotW so I will pose one.  

Most of you can tell that I am basically an oldy, not used to a whole lot of later technologies. I still like my camera, use hand made tools, fix things when needed, build my own contraptions when needed. I however, fired my kiln by hand for years until it finally bit the dust and I replaced it with a digitally controlled L&L kiln. . .love it!  When it comes to working with glaze materials I still use scoops and spoons to parse out the goodies. I also use a triple beam balance with a large fitted plastic pan for the materials with additional weights for large amounts. I have often looked at the digital scales, but figured what I have works, why change at this late date. However, I am curious. .  . how many of you have opted for digital scales, or anything digital of late because of the convenience or because you grew up with digital?

QotW: Have you have opted for digital scales, or anything digital of late because of the convenience or because you grew up with digital?

best,

Pres

I mixed glazes for years with 2 triple beam scales, one for the large amounts and a smaller one for test glazes. Went over to using a digital scale about 10 years ago and will never go back to triple beam scales. So much easier and faster! I have 2 digital scales, one for larger glaze and slip materials that go from 1 gram to 5kg and small one for down to one hundredths of a gram. If anyone is looking for a digital scale one feature I really like is having the screen backlit, makes seeing the screen easier. 

For clay amounts I use an old school mechanical dial scale that is set to ounces and pounds.

Yes Min I use the same type of dial scale for clay. I find always weighing and noting sizes for new pots helps to replicate. However, much of my work is off the hump and ball sizes are more important there.

best,

Pres

Digital, one for small measure, one for large, one very portable. All super inexpensive, even with a calibrating weight. Will use anything available though so triple beam if only option. Use a small old analog to weigh out clay if I am making repetitive stuff or to see what size I can make 12 oz stretch to, just for practice / challenge / instruction / fun.

love my Ohaus triple beam.   tried a digital but could not see the numbers under the container holding ingredientd.    watched Mea's video on mixing glazes and realized i could do that much faster with my Ohaus.    btw, if you need to add or subtract a tiny amount, the kemper tool with a flat arrowhead at one end and a curved point at the other is great for just lifting a tiny amount with the curve.

Have logged many hours on a triple beam, but didn't own one when fitting the studio - inexpensive 2000g digital works fine for me, for glaze batches and up to 4.4 pound clay balls.

I've an analog multimeter; it shows variation better than a digi, and although there's an argument for accuracy, at the range I'm working in (cheap instrument and basic electrical stuff), it's more than fine and what I'm used to. I have my Dad's Simpson, but never use it.

We have digital bath scales, inexpensive and easy to read, just remember to calibrate Every Time it's moved, and replace batteries, hmm, that it's quiet puts it over a spring scale, just.

What we have that's still analog likely a shorter list!
Floor pump for bike tires, integrated analog pressure gauge. Repeatability is what matters, meh.
Car tire pressure gauges, all analog.
Everyday calipers, analog/vernier over cheap dial indicator types, whether mech or digi. I have a large vernier, very high quality, and a few small quality dial indicator types, also analog micrometer set. I don't mind vernier or mech dial indicators for thousandths o' inch, nor analog micrometers, having worked with all for hours countless.
Thermometers, all we have are liquid bulb and capillary type, excepting the cars' displays are numeric.

No doubt there's more, not remembering just now.
Digital doesn't always mean better, nor necessarily mean the sensing strategy is any different, more accurate, or better.
That said, some new stuff is cool.
Some old stuff is still cool too.

Who would like to share the name/brand of their digital scale and how much it cost? I bought a second digital scale a couple of weeks ago and it looked much bigger in the picture. It works well, but I need one with a bigger weighing platform.

Thank you,

Betty

Hi Betty,
I'm using this US Balance, which has a small platform, and maxes out at 2000g (not pounds, heh).

I have a few different aluminum pie plates for when I need more space, like glaze materials. Seems like as long as the load is squared up/stable and not moving, the weights are repeatable ok.

479306108_USBalance.JPG.98a1290413a8a488deff5ab52223bb71.JPG

16 hours ago, Bam2015 said:

Who would like to share the name/brand of their digital scale and how much it cost? I bought a second digital scale a couple of weeks ago and it looked much bigger in the picture. It works well, but I need one with a bigger weighing platform.

Thank you,

Betty

I have this one. Platform is 6" X 8" so not huge but it's big enough with a plastic tub on top.

My  Ohaus went crazy one day when I was doing a bunch of glaze testing.   Every time I tried to adjust it the arm would start bouncing up and down,  I called Ohaus to see what was going on.   The technician said I either had a ghost in my house or my scale was having problems with the magnets.   My house was haunted  so I thought his comment that was funny,  I also have trouble with excessive magnetism in my body.  I can kill a watch in 30 minutes.    Still not sure what my problem was I ordered a digital scale,  it would work good and then start to act up.   I  decided to buy a more expensive  scale and the same thing happen  so I order a larger scale.   Same problem with it,  I decided my magnetism must be the problem.   After some testing I found that If I limited the amount of time  I can use a digital scale.   I  just switch scales  when I am making up tests,  I needed all of those scales after all.   Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic