Doc says to stop throwing!

My doc says I have arthritis in my fingers and knuckles plus I have trigger finger in both hands.  She said I need to stop throwing clay.  I’m still a learner, but devastated…. Have you heard that throwing can make arthritis worse? 

Arthritis comes from wear and tear on the joints over the years.   If what you are doing causes pain, don't do it.  Figure out the movements which cause pain and avoid them.  You might have fewer problems doing hand building.  It is all a matter of where the  arthritis is and how you can work around it.

For trigger finger a shot of cortisone into the offending part can help.  If you do have this treatment be very kind to your hands after and give them a good chance to recover.

Lin

The cortisone may do it but if not its a simple staright froward surgery and I have seen many great outcomes .In terms of arthritis use warm water and keep using your hands to keep them strong. I think your doctor is taking the stay in bed thoght way to far. If you stay in bed life will not hurt you they say until the heart attack .

If you want a real opion go see a hand doctor not a GP

I have had two major hand surgies and have arthrites and large knuckles -no one has said stop throwing-maybe a bit less but move it or loose it is the theme in life. At least mine

Edited by Mark C.

1 hour ago, LinR said:

Arthritis comes from wear and tear on the joints over the years.   If what you are doing causes pain, don't do it.  Figure out the movements which cause pain and avoid them.  You might have fewer problems doing hand building.  It is all a matter of where the  arthritis is and how you can work around it.

For trigger finger a shot of cortisone into the offending part can help.  If you do have this treatment be very kind to your hands after and give them a good chance to recover.

Lin

Thank you! 

I have never asked a question or responded before, although I love this forum.  I retired from Physical Therapy after 43 years of being a clinician and started my pottery experience. My advice is that you visit a competent hand therapist who values your continuation of an active and vital life. There are ways to continue with some modifications - perhaps lessening the amount of clay that you throw or lessening the amount of time that you spend throwing.  Aftercare is also important - warm compresses, hot wax treatments, gentle massage, light supports and conservative use of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.  Gentle stretching and strengthening can be valuable.  Steroid injections can be helpful but often are temporary in benefit - and one doesn't want to do that often due to problems associated with them. Trigger finger often requires a fairly straight forward surgery, but any surgery comes with risk and, possibly, unintended results. Again, an orthopedist who specializes in hand function is vital.  I agree  with Mark C. and Russ that you might want to work with another physician who will not brush you off. Best of luck. As an older (elderly?) woman, I have had to make adjustments to accommodate my body and my mind. It is doable. And rewarding! Good luck.

1 hour ago, kaygeepotter said:

conservative use of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.  Gentle stretching and strengthening can be valuable.  Steroid injections can be helpful but often are temporary in benefit - and one doesn't want to do that often due to problems associated with them. Trigger finger often requires a fairly straight forward surgery, but any surgery comes with risk and, possibly, unintended results. Again, an orthopedist who specializes in hand function is vital.  I agree  with Mark C. and Russ that you might want to work with another physician who will not brush you off. Best of luck. As an older (elderly?) woman, I have had to make adjustments to accommodate my body and my mind. It is doable. And rewarding! Good luck.

This...

It sounds like your physician could be the but of an old joke...

Doc, it hurts when I do "this". Doc- then don't do "that".

I wish you luck and hope you can find a way!  - I like the idea of throwing small items, less clay is always easier on my bones.

Yes, I totally agree that soft clay (as Min and Mark C. have mentioned) is immensely helpful. Luckily I was able to purchase a pugger - quite expensive but it has been invaluable to me. I would never have been able to continue working a I do without the ability to manage my clay satisfactorily.  

Thanks to everyone on this forum - I have learned so much from so many people with lots of knowledge and experience. 

Depending on where the arthritis is surgery might be the best outcome. As with Mark, I've had both my thumbs operated on with great success and have had trigger fingers repaired on both hands, also with great success. My hands work better than they have for the 10 years prior to the surgeries. Full recovery on the thumbs took about 5 months each and the trigger fingers, about 2 months...A good hand orthopedist should be able to help you.

8 hours ago, kaygeepotter said:

I have never asked a question or responded before, although I love this forum.  I retired from Physical Therapy after 43 years of being a clinician and started my pottery experience. My advice is that you visit a competent hand therapist who values your continuation of an active and vital life. There are ways to continue with some modifications - perhaps lessening the amount of clay that you throw or lessening the amount of time that you spend throwing.  Aftercare is also important - warm compresses, hot wax treatments, gentle massage, light supports and conservative use of anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.  Gentle stretching and strengthening can be valuable.  Steroid injections can be helpful but often are temporary in benefit - and one doesn't want to do that often due to problems associated with them. Trigger finger often requires a fairly straight forward surgery, but any surgery comes with risk and, possibly, unintended results. Again, an orthopedist who specializes in hand function is vital.  I agree  with Mark C. and Russ that you might want to work with another physician who will not brush you off. Best of luck. As an older (elderly?) woman, I have had to make adjustments to accommodate my body and my mind. It is doable. And rewarding! Good luck.

Thank you so much for responding to my comment. 

I am overwhelmed by you all taking the time to read my comment and then responding.   Some background information - my great grandmother also suffered from arthritis in the hands and ended up being unable to use them to dress and wash.  The doctor and my mother scared me with stories, so I gave in and sold my wheel but…. I can’t stop thinking about throwing clay, there is something so special about the feel, creating a mug or bowl etc from a wet ball of clay.  I feel like my zest for life has gone. I’ve tried candle making and paying for lessons. But it really doesn’t do it for me - heat wax add fragrances and wick, pour done!  Since reading your comments I feel reenergised and want to have another go. Thank you all so much for your positivity. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Wilts I have been throwing since the early 70's, mostly as a Art teacher in a HS with course load mostly of Ceramics. I began having problems with arthritis around 2000. It has gotten worse over the years even though I am now mainly a hobby potter. I have found though that working with the clay does alleviate some of my pain, and keeps things nimble. I also use a hand exerciser daily as it seems to help. I limit my time now on the wheel, by throwing for a while, doing other things then go back to throwing.  Getting older with Ceramics can be challenging, but I would not want to be without.  I add this to comments from others, especially Johnny and Mark as they have great hands on experience with hand problems. I had surgery on my RT thumb about 12 years ago and had to make adjustments to my throwing style as a few years later the joint died, but I still throw well enough. Hope you can make your way back to the clay somehow.

best,

Pres

Maybe a high quality banding wheel and the fun of handbuilding wiould be worth exploring. For many reasons, hands not the least of it, I rarely throw anymore-but I love my heavy Shimpo for all kinds of rounding operations.