QotW: What piece of equipment that you do not have will be your next addition within the next year?

I realize that I have been thinking and posting a lot about equipment, but then we all go through phases. This week I was wondering what would be my next investment in the studio? I have often considered numerous additions to the studio and yet I have big problems with adding any more equipment to work with-SPACE! I really do not see myself cramming another table as in Slab roller, or some free standing piece of equipment like a spray booth. At the same time my wall space is relatively limited with shelving, tool racks, kiln space zones, doors and windows taking a majority of the space.  I often wonder what others would invest their money or effort into to add a new piece of equipment to their studio. What do they not have that they really feel they need?

So the Question for this week: QotW: What piece of equipment that you do not have will be your next addition within the next year?

For me it will be a fold up spray booth. I am working on ideas and plans right now in Corel Draw, following measurements and specs that I have been gathering the last few years. I will have a fan system, with a filter system the same size as my house filter in the whole house air/heat system. I will probably use it on the wedging table, with ducting out the window next to the table.  I have for years considered building a waterfall type spray booth, but do not believe I could build it well as easily as an fan alone ducted system.  I have also considered getting a Bailey extruder, but believe the spray booth to be more important.

best,

Pres

Well maybe just maybe a used Giel 18 cubic downdraft  front loader kiln. I always like these kilns. I have a 12 cubic footer and a 35 car kiln -the best size for me is a 24 to fill that gap. The other issue is shelve size its 14x28 so I would just leave the back of shelve up as its a ways back to them.

Its a bit late in my life but a friend died and got this kiln for him. I may buy it from his wife (I cleaned out his studio last year for her) He only fired it twice.I can close to getting myself but at the last I let him have it.

The moving it is a huge issue (I have to take his studio wall down and the logistics at each end are hard expecially his side. I need to pour a pad here for it and the overhead is tight and a small forklift is key. The 15 mile move is also an issue as I do not have a flatbed. Not sure at this age if any of this makes since for me

I'm on the fence about this whole thing.

Edited by Mark C.

I am debating a ring light and a second kiln. 

The first, well, it depends on what happens in the next few months. If I make a drift towards video on social media, it’ll be handy regardless of the platform I’d be using. If it turns out video is the latest dopamine fix, I don’t want to be into it for a whole bunch of equipment.

The second kiln is because I’m still having trust issues with my existing one. It’s fixed after the Great Meltdown of ‘21, but it doesn’t fire the same. But I lack the cash flow to do it until after summer. Which will translate to after Christmas between the busy season and kiln lead times.

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

I thought you were slowing down ????????

I was before covid hit and sales went thru the roof. I have not done an art show in 18 months and still, have a best year of my life sales wise.

slowing down got kicked out the studio door with orders thru the moon. I have said no to some lately.

The kiln buy has been in the  brain works for 3 years now and I still am on the fence-a smaller kiln sounds good at times

On 6/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, Mark C. said:

a smaller kiln sounds good at times

I can relate to that,  due to age and body issues & doing less production (which for me was not much in the first place/small hobby biz). However, gotta say that to obtain it as you have described sounds like a royal PITA--would it be worth it?  As far as the QotW, I have everything I need or want, other than someone to do my reclaim/wedging for me!

12 hours ago, Denice said:

I was looking at purchasing a good banding wheel this year, but I am starting on another mural.  It will probably be next year on the banding wheel, looks like I will only be purchasing clay.  Denice

If you're looking for something that can spin for a long time, get a Shimpo. But if you just need something that rotates smoothly, THESE work really well, for 1/3 the cost of a Shimpo. I've got both in my studio, and I have no complaints with either.

Aha! Neil's link (to Thetis home revolving cake stand, Amaz*n listed) includes an icing spatula!

I have one - picked it up at "the bins" (Goodwill) a few years ago; it's one of five most used tools (needle, metal rib, wood knife, bit o' chamois, uhm, aah, oh yeah, sponge, ok, so six, pfft) in my studio, for levering off bats, and smoothing just below the rim onna outside.

524881243_icingspat.JPG.ded24e49c495e8ca1a97b1a457c21b0b.JPG

On cups and mugs, smooths the edge of slip left by the chamois, and imparts the hint of recurve, the lip parking zone.
For bowls, much lighter touch, not looking to change the profile, just smooth the transition between chamois mark and ribbed outside...

It's an icing spatula! ...have been curious about the intended purpose for quite some time.

As for the QOW, no new equipment on the horizon, although a modern kiln may be out over the rim o' the world, somewhar...

Great product,  it has inspired me to try a  idea that has been rattling around in my head.   I have a electric rotating disc from a window display when I owned  a store.  It will spin at the pace you set it at for years.   I have  a old banding wheel that doesn't spin anymore,  I am going to try taping them together and see how it works.   If it works I will anchor them together permanently.   I love putting together old junky items and making them use able again.  The older I get the less I want to buy and the madder I get about companies making junk products that have to go directly in the landfill.   Old hippie venting!    Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic