No Swiping

I had a show this past weekend. For the very first time, I did not swipe a single credit card. All of the cards had chips. And for the very first time, people wanted to pay me with Apple Pay. One guy even did it with his watch. Mind blown. The times they are a-changin’.

From an email from Square regarding Square Tap-and-Pay: "If you swipe a chip credit card and the cardholder disputes the payment with their bank as fraudulent, the bank will immediately rule in the cardholder’s favor and the disputed funds will be automatically debited from your account. To avoid this situation altogether, you need to insert chip credit cards into a chip reader, like the Square Reader for contactless and chip."

I've emailed Square asking if the same policy applies to Apple Pay and other NFC-enabled smartphones and watches but haven't heard back from them yet, anybody know what the policy on this is? I've used the tap feature for lots of transactions before receiving this email but will be inserting the chip cards now. I don't know if this only applies in Canada.

I know that chips are far more secure than mag stripes, That’s why the US regulations forced us to buy chip readers, by putting liability on us if we continue to swipe mag stripes. I’m not sure where liability falls for Apple Pay and other contactless payments. I do know that my brother recently had his iPhone stolen. Once he got over the initial shock, he realized he had nothing to worry about, A current-day iPhone will pretty much self-destruct if someone other than the rightful owner tries to use it. 

And yet, I have folks online who insist on sending me a paper check and many vendors at farmers markets who will take cash only. Maybe it's a NH thing...we're a bit slow on the techno-uptake. 

I had 350 customers at a three day show this  past weekend with only a few non chip cards. My square chip dipper (wireless) is a bit slower than the small combo chip and swipe direct plug in unit.It takes both kinds of cards and is a bit faster which for me is important, I took one check as well. Those are almost gone along with the non chip cards.I have had mixed luck with Apple Pay  so I try to avoid it.My square chip dipper works with Apple Pay only some of the time it seems.

I really like cash-last weeks show was about  +1/3 rd cash. It still works everywhere pretty good.

Just to be clear folks-she said no swiping but she still had credit cards -just that they all are chipped cards.

Chip cards have been the norm everywhere else for a long time, so that part isn't new. The square tap/chip reader is super fast, and thank the heavens I can finally accept debit card payments, even if they are under $100. I eagerly await full debit capacity!

I have yet to have anyone use Apple Pay.

13 hours ago, Min said:

From an email from Square regarding Square Tap-and-Pay: "If you swipe a chip credit card and the cardholder disputes the payment with their bank as fraudulent, the bank will immediately rule in the cardholder’s favor and the disputed funds will be automatically debited from your account. To avoid this situation altogether, you need to insert chip credit cards into a chip reader, like the Square Reader for contactless and chip."

I've emailed Square asking if the same policy applies to Apple Pay and other NFC-enabled smartphones and watches but haven't heard back from them yet, anybody know what the policy on this is? I've used the tap feature for lots of transactions before receiving this email but will be inserting the chip cards now. I don't know if this only applies in Canada.

I think this is true in Canada regardless of the method of accepting cards. You can dispute the charge backs, but even working in the grocery store 15 years ago, the card issuer sided with the card holder for the most part. The onus was on the vendor to prove anything, and at the time it was done with video cameras and signed credit card slips. I suppose the assumption now is if you enter the pin rather than just tapping, you've "signed" for the transaction. The tap is akin to not checking the signature on the slip against the one on the credit card and potentially having it be a forged one.  Most of the time, you're ok. In the 5 years of working in a position where I was aware of chargeback disputes, I think there was only 2 in a grocery store that had million dollar days. As a pottery vendor, you're more likely at risk for the 5 finger discount than you are for credit card fraud.

If you as a customer let your pin into someone else's hands, then the security breach is on you, not the vendor. At which point the card issuer gets to eat the loss if you report the breach as soon as you're aware of it.

15 hours ago, LeeU said:

And yet, I have folks online who insist on sending me a paper check and many vendors at farmers markets who will take cash only. Maybe it's a NH thing...we're a bit slow on the techno-uptake. 

I don' think it's a NH thing or that you are slow on the uptake...you're just old school. I use a flip phone just to make phone calls, write checks when necessary, and prefer dealing in cash as much as possible. I just take cash at my summer veggie stand for the veggies as well as my ceramics. True there are some who do everything with a debit card, but not at my stand. I'd rather lose the occasional sale than have to deal with taking card payments. Just saying...

JohnnyK

I occasionally do the Spring Green, WI art fair, where there is very poor cell phone reception. Like you can't make a phone call from indoors. There's one cell tower and it's 3G. I don't even try to run credit cards- all ca$h! The folks who shop there all know it's an issue, so they don't even ask. And there's a bank with an ATM right on the show street.

I do a huge show in the pacific Northwest and the phone service is spotty at best-I do all the visa on store/ forward with square and take all the risk.Every night after show I drive to mountain top and  send off the sales. Been that way for many a decade.Royal pain in the butt.

Park City had really bad cell service 18 years ago as well.I bet they put in some more towers .

I heard back from Square re Apple and other contactless payments. Seems they are covered with Squares chargeback coverage unlike swiped chip cards.

"The Square contactless and chip card reader accepts chip cards (EMV) as well as contactless payments (NFC). Contactless is a term used to describe the act of paying without touching anything. NFC (near field communication) is a technology that allows for contactless payments. Apple Pay and Android Pay are examples of contactless payment platforms. NFC uses a specific radio frequency so devices, like smartphones, can wirelessly communicate at close range to do things like process payments. This means these payments are very secure, much like chip cards, and do not subject you to an EMV liability shift related dispute."

In regards to the theft of these digital transactions; Had a friend who made copper wind art who logged into a wifi network at the show. The title of the network was something he thought the show put up like "artintheparkfreewifi". He processed a few thousand dollars worth of transactions all weekend to only come home on Monday to find out NONE of it went to him. The network was fake (not a new tactic). PCI compliance requires you to use your own network when processing transactions.

Since it was also mentioned in this thread; the offline mode in square works well. When you dont have signal, it will try to process like normal, and after unsuccessfully processing it will ask to enter offline mode. Perform the rest of your day's transactions and then get to signal within 24 hours, because after that the data that was saved is erased and your out money.

I helped out on the ticket line today, at a country show.

I was amazed how many people used "contactless" and didn't even look at the screen to see how much I'd entered.  In the UK there is a £30 per transaction limit on contactless, but even so......

Not sure how many paid by cash, there were separate lines.  Last time I was on that gate was about 10 years ago and we only took cash.  Then we had to check for forged notes, now I've no idea how they deal with rogues.

I'd like to give a thumbs up for having a mobile hotspot to have your own network when your phone has no signel...just get a hotspot with a different carrier than what your phone uses  and then you will have a backup if your phone network is down. Processing credit cards take very little data so what i did was get a hotspot that i buy data on cards at my local walmart and add a small amount of data every month i was going to be doing shows...thats is about 6 months of the year for me...and the months i did not need a hotspot i just did not buy data cards. Just remember to charge that hotspot so its all ready to go if needed.

Archived