I would like to share my latest experiments with colored clay ... I hope it will be a treat for all of you who love to throw.

I spent most of last year experimenting with throwing colored clay in a way I call ... "Intentional Color Placement".

In other words, instead of throwing randomly mixed colors like agateware, I wanted to get the colors exactly where I wanted them to be.

I also wanted to create my own stripes and patterns by planning, not accident.

So here are the results printed in the March/April 2017 issue of Pottery Making Illustrated.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-illustrated

I hope many of you try these techniques and post pictures of your results.

I would love to see what good throwers do with it!!

post-1585-0-71711900-1487694431_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-11187200-1487694449_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-27197600-1487694461_thumb.jpg

congratulations on making beautiful pots with spectacular colors!

love the softly swirly, yellow orange one, especially.  the one on the top of the stack in photo one and on top of the blue one in the last photo.

is this series of photos before glazing or are they finished?  if so, what is the glaze that looks so perfect?

congratulations on making beautiful pots with spectacular colors!

love the softly swirly, yellow orange one, especially.  the one on the top of the stack in photo one and on top of the blue one in the last photo.

is this series of photos before glazing or are they finished?  if so, what is the glaze that looks so perfect?

The glaze is a Cone 6 transparent matte that I got from Ceramics Monthly Summer issue of 2014.

It was offered by Kyla Toomey but I think it is a pretty common recipe.

Those are beautiful Chris! 

I had the chance to watch Les Manning throw a couple of his landscape coloured clay sculptures. Very precise and deliberate placement of colours. He built up a cone of clay on the wheel, one colour at a time by adding chunks and wodges of clay, no wedging the final mass, then just got the one shot of throwing the piece. Is that how you do it? (couldn't link to your article successfully)

I REALLY hope some of you good throwers will give it a try so I can see how it looks when somebody experienced throws color like this.

.... and no, I am not being modest.

Somebody who could execute thin forms with minimal pulls would get even more amazing results.

C'mon ... try it and post pix please. : - )

It didn't I had to dig through it. I found it now, guest can see: here: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-illustrated/full-archive/

Here is the actual link to your article : http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-illustrated/article/beyond-agateware/

Edit: So many beautiful pictures and colors. Well done. One day I plan to try this.

I couldn't see it at first, I just figured I needed a subscription to view it. Thanks to Joseph F I can read it now.

So many new things to learn, and yes I'll give this a go. Thanks Chris

aaah chris the traditional chinese inlay technique is looking wonderful in your hands. i love the intentionality of it. i remember i was blown away by a chinese vase form where the inlaid pot had tree rings. 

you inspire me again to try another technique. the thick black slip is a brilliant idea. 

thank you joseph for doing the digging around so we could all see the article and learn how. 

Archived