Periscope

You can watch Periscope broadcasts on a PC if someone shares the link with you, but otherwise everything about Periscope is done on a tablet or phone. 

Does anybody here use it? I'm curious. It's all over Instagram and it's around a year old, but I had never heard of it until maybe two months ago. 

@GiselleNo5, We have used it on campus for some live broadcast at special events (i.e. the pep band used it when they traveled to the NIT basketball tourney).  It is simple to use...just a matter of sending people a link to view/access the video.  There is a LOT of chatter about how this has taken sexting (texting nude/explicit images) to a whole new level, so be careful of invitations that you don't know or don't say what their content might be.  Naked raku might be OK.  Naked potter...not so much :wacko:

Paul

Paul:

Following this topic just affirms my willful choice to be a technotard. I have a dumb phone, nor do I Facebook, Skype, or Twitter: although I do twitch occasionally. Think I will just walk a wide circle around this one: my opinion might inflame.

Nerd

Paul:

Following this topic just affirms my willful choice to be a technotard. I have a dumb phone, nor do I Facebook, Skype, or Twitter: although I do twitch occasionally. Think I will just walk a wide circle around this one: my opinion might inflame.

Nerd

You mean you actually use your phone to call people and talk to them?  There are kids on our campus who might find that outrageous :)

By the way, there is probably an app for "Twitching"...so watch out :huh:

Paul

I have been really enjoying periscope. It allows me to watch in real time how potters work. I live in the middle of nowhere so haven't been able to take classes etc. The feed is only viewable for about 24hrs so you are not cluttering up you tube with "how I painted glaze on this particular piece" but people can watch what you do.

Also you do have to check your followers regularly and block the unwanted ones.

I caught a few 'scopes from Didem Mert, and others that are considerably more east than I am, or in the States, that I would not have been able to see work otherwise. Didem spent half her time blocking weirdos that kept asking her for sex, or to use the word toilet in a sentence >.<.

I was hoping the media would be better, frankly, because it does have potential for things like long distance workshops, but the content wasn't what I'd hoped, and the spammers are just creepy. You could probably find some people that put together some quality scopes, but I don't have time to be searching for elusive content on yet another social media platform. I spend too much time online as it is.

GiselleNo5, I love watching potters on periscope. I watch it a lot. I am just a hobby potter and i have learned so much from periscope. I love the broadcasts that you do. By the way, broadcasts can be saved for more than 24 hours on www.katch.me. i dont know how it works but it is great to go back and review the scopes (hint, hint wish you were on katch)

LOL Thanks, Laurarose. I've really loved doing the little tutorials. I tend to think I know nothing so to have people tell me that after watching a demo they are dying to try slip trailing just ... makes my heart sing. :) I haven't heard of katch, I'll check it out. Honestly I don't really want to save all the Periscopes. Too much odd chatter that gets captured and is annoying to watch more than once. I'd prefer to make proper, edited YouTube videos that stay posted. 

And thank you too, Paul, for the warning. I have been dipping my toes in Periscope and I have been extremely careful. I don't need to see "naked potters" to know what some people instantly started using this service for. I don't like watching potters who use a lot of bad language either, for my own self and also because that means I won't watch their scope around my child. So each new potter I watch I approach with caution, prepared to hit the "off" button. It does help that I know quite a few after years on Etsy and Instagram. 

It has been very interesting to see other potters at work in real time. Often we post time lapse videos editing out the "boring" bits. We know this about our own work, of course, but I know I tend to forget that about other artists. 

Paul:

Nerd

Nerd, my husband says "Periscope is to potters what Twitch is to gamers."  :)

Naked raku might be OK.  Naked potter...not so much :wacko:

Paul

Paul Soldner may (okay, absolutely would) disagree with that.

Well that may have changed!! After watching the video of htat Aussie with his flame throwing methods of drying big platters.......

• 2 weeks later...

Giselle,

I've watched a couple of scopes @ABPottery and I've caught some of your comments. I find all the scopes I follow fascinating and I'm learning so much.  The problem is that it's addictive. I find I'm up a 3 in the morning to catch Adam Fied live or Neil Celani, Michael Kline. So you could probably say that periscope is a bit of an addiction. I watch that more than I go to YouTube.

Folks, what potters do you follow on Periscope? I just downloaded it. Thanks!

I follow Adam Field, Neil Celani, Michael Kline, Brandon Schwartz and you can also select Pottersofperiscope. Have a look at those members and see who they follow.  Happy viewing

I,m a real sub mariner fan and the best periscope book is written by a German fellow,title is Iron coffins

Best sub book from the 100 or so I have read.

I think you will have to find the book as its not out on E books yet.

Current news on HLC that an arrest was made of a rape suspect after a periscope video showed the rape. Interesting way that anything you do, may become public. It also means that things could become safer for individuals, but then that safety may come-after the fact or act. Anyone want to say 1984!

best,

Pres

Archived