Community Challenge #2

gallery_23281_871_4656.png

Welcome to the community challenge #2

This is a place where we can challenge ourselves alongside other community members to create ceramic works within the constraints set out in each challenge.

The Challenge

This challenge is to make a plant pot that has been influenced from your research into the season of spring. Your research can include anything that fits into the topic.
Pick an area within the topic that interests you and would like to explore. 
Try to be creative with your research and how you translate that into an idea for your ceramic work. 

The Rules

• Everybody can enter the challenge, all you need is a registered account on the forum.
  • Work in progress (WIP) images are encouraged. It can help to talk through your research and ideas but please don't spam the topic. Keep the updates informative and succinct.
  • One final entry per community member, images no larger than 1024 pixels wide/high.
  • Attach images to your final entry post along with the text Final Entry - Forum Name
  • This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread. Also make sure you post your final entry in this thread to be entered into the challenge.
  • The challenge will run quarterly and will be
    • 1st February to 29th April, 
    • 1st May to 30st July, 
    • 1st August to 30st October, 
    • 1st November to 30st January.
  • The results thread will be posted on the last day of the ending month. It will be a collection of all the entries into one post for condensed viewing and some post challenge discussion.

The Rest
Remember you are entering for your own enjoyment and there could be a risk that your work develops into something new and exciting.
Be considerate of others and don't post opinions without good reasons to back them up. We are all here to improve and progress with our ceramics.
Some dates may vary slightly as this is a community run project and it will depend on members having access to the forum.

Have any ideas for a challenge? Post them in the ideas thread http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/7794-submit-your-challenge-ideas/

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does not take much to confuse me...and I am now officially confused! Where and when was the thread and discussion about what the next (#2) challenge might be? Who decides-how is that done?

I like the "spring plant pot" idea...I am just not understanding the process of selection or where to look to find which board/message to be following. Wish this had it's own forum, if that is even possible. 

high bridge thought the whole thing up and it is his idea.  no discussion is necessary, just an idea that several people responded to and like.  i like the pieces in the first go-round and hope some really great pots emerge for the next one.

I have added the topic where you can post ideas for the challenge into my signature so hopefully it is easier to find. Right now it is me deciding on the final idea but I do look through all the suggestions posted. Most ideas will probably get picked up along the way. If you have a great idea you can always private message me too.

I'll file this under, "I'll do almost anything for a @BeckyH brownie" *grin*

OK... I'll fire a round across the bow with a WIP/Concept & sketch.  We live in an area where Spring brings a number of unwanted visitors that we call twisters or tornadoes.  One of those was featured on the evening news last night and I couldn't help but notice the bowl shaped debris cloud at the base, an undulating column that stretched skyward, and a billowing cloud structure at the top. When I began transforming that metaphor into a sketch, I realized quickly that the form lacks originality in the world of ceramics (there are probably similar forms one can find at Wal-Mart)...however, I saw the form as a framework to loosen-up my normally tight throwing style to allow more things to happen...to embrace a little slump, a little off-centered-ness, a more organic place for fun glaze things to happen.  So, here is my totally-unoriginal form concept with a twist (pun intended) in technique:

Tornado Metaphor Planter

Hey, this might be a dumb question, but can we make more than one piece? I have two I can't decide between, haha... :D

EDIT:

OWAIT

Derp

I thought this was just spring-related and not a specific plant pot. Phooey! That kills both my pieces. One was a tea vessel and another a fatboy mug...hnngh! Ah, well. Better get throwing. :D

And LeeU has the right idea!! Crusty-edge chewy brownies? YES. With pecans and caramel, hurrrr.... *gains ten pounds*

Hey, this might be a dumb question, but can we make more than one piece? I have two I can't decide between, haha... :D

EDIT:

OWAIT

Derp

I thought this was just spring-related and not a specific plant pot. Phooey! That kills both my pieces. One was a tea vessel and another a fatboy mug...hnngh! Ah, well. Better get throwing. :D

And LeeU has the right idea!! Crusty-edge chewy brownies? YES. With pecans and caramel, hurrrr.... *gains ten pounds*

Just make the mug wider and omit the handle - ta-dah - a plant pot

Waaaah, I can't--I already made the piece with the illustration. Phooey! Man, something funny...I think plant pots are my hardest item to sell. I think most people just want those crappy Walmart terracotta things...or, maybe the idea of putting dirt in my work is icky for them. :D

Plant pots are made so cheap and people dont handle them every day like they do pottery that is functional ware. I think thats one of the main reasons people will spend 20-30 on a mug, but wont spend 20 on 3x the amount of clay and glaze for a planter. I was in walmart yesterday and they had some stoneware mugs that had some beautiful glazes on them for like 2.49 each. It made me laugh. 

Do those of us in the southern hemisphere get to make a plant pot inspired by autumn?

I was going to put a (sorry if you live in the southern hemisphere) but I must have forgotten  :ph34r:

I'm no corporation, but I'll send a batch of brownies to anyone who finishes an entry!

That's a big promise :D free postage ?  ;)

Sorry Guinea, it's a plant pot. But a plant pot can be many things/shapes

I can make them with nuts or without, and caramel isn't a problem. I can see I'll need a database to keep track! No frosting, though, it does not ship well. Not sure about mailing food overseas, customs can get very wierd about it. If you try to send booze from the outside world through the New Zealand mails to Antarctica, they pour out the booze and send on the empty bottle! It was a very sad day.....

The thing about baking-you take a powdery substance, add liquids, manipulate the result, put it in a hot oven and get something totally different out. There's something familiar about that process......

Archived