Dress Code Issues

I have been approached to run a small ceramic program for a small private school starting on April first. They have a strict dress code and all the young men must wear ties to class. I’m thinking that will be a safety hazard while using the power wheels and am going to suggest that while in the ceramic class they must wear Bow ties. Has anyone had to deal with this safety issue? I am expecting some blow back from the board. Any suggestions?

Mark

I had to wear a tie most of my career at the HS. Strict dress code for males, that was pretty loose for females. I got into the habit of tucking it into my shirt when I threw on the wheel.  Now there is a problem with wearing it on the outside beyond the usual dirt. I once doing a demo, for the 2 students on the wheel. I did not have a tuck the tie habit, and some way the tie got wrapped in the 10# ball of clay, and yanked my head down to the wheel faster than I could stop it. Instant stars I kid you not. The CI HP has lots of torque, and was going full bore. So I got into the habit of tucking. I also got a few Polyester ties for those days I knew I would be working on dirties.  For years I tried to get the administration to understand that it was a hazard with the wheels, pug mill, and other things I did, no avail. Even tried to get them to allow the polo shirts or lab coats like they had for Phys Ed and Science respectively, still no luck.

So tuck your ties, and tell your kids not to wear one at home when operating heavy machinery!

I must say Bruce I almost lost my mouthfull of food watching him roll up that platter.

I have never felt a need to make a video until watching this spoof-I enjoyed that more than any other video I have seen linked here.

Now thats informative-I loved the unicorn horn technique as well. I will try that in AM.

I'm thinking of my first video which will show how to turn an electric kiln into a warm salt water aquarium using the kiln elemnts to keep the fish warm. This will be a cutting edge stuff.

I'm working out the details of stopping any leaks with clay or maybe a plastic bag liner.

Mark

I have been approached to run a small ceramic program for a small private school starting on April first. They have a strict dress code and all the young men must wear ties to class. I’m thinking that will be a safety hazard while using the power wheels and am going to suggest that while in the ceramic class they must wear Bow ties. Has anyone had to deal with this safety issue? I am expecting some blow back from the board. Any suggestions?

Mark

I always wear a suit and tie when I'm throwing. Doesn't everybody?

Tom :huh:

It appears the job offer fell thru as the bow tie suggestion  as well as my suggesting we just use scissors and cut off the ties inraged the board. Looks like I'm not going to have a lucritive teaching job with the youngsters and will have to make pottery until I turn 100.

here was the school . This school is in Canada and I passed thier crew team coming home from my art show and thats the connection.They have a really good art program and you can see them throwing in ties here

http://www.stgeorges.bc.ca/Page/SENIOR-SCHOOL/Arts

It appears to be a top notch school only 45,000 per year or first grade. I'm sure I could have improved the ceramics program especially now that I know the unicorn technique.

Mark

I must say Bruce I almost lost my mouthfull of food watching him roll up that platter.

I have never felt a need to make a video until watching this spoof-I enjoyed that more than any other video I have seen linked here.

Now thats informative-I loved the unicorn horn technique as well. I will try that in AM.

I'm thinking of my first video which will show how to turn an electric kiln into a warm salt water aquarium using the kiln elemnts to keep the fish warm. This will be a cutting edge stuff.

I'm working out the details of stopping any leaks with clay or maybe a plastic bag liner.

Mark

And it could be further adapted to cook a tankfull on special occasions!!  Fish cooked in seawater is the best, or was that washed....

That platter video, was a spoof?....

Pres, I remember you saying you had to wear ties before.  I got upset, at the district that wouldn't let me wear jeans on Fridays.  

Ties just seem to be a poor idea, for Art teachers.  I see the girls struggling to keep their hair out of their work, so I can only imagine how annoying a tie would be.  (Note:  The girls aren't always successful, if the long hair I find in the slip are any indication.)

I worked at a grocery store bakery, in college.  They did require us to wear ties, despite the manager's protest.  We pointed out that operating the large mixers, with a tie hanging, was a *ahem* "recipe for disaster".  They didn't seem too concerned.

I was on a teacher exchange to Beacon Hills Collegiate in Melbourne, Australia for one year. In the exchange, an Australian art teacher came and lived in my house with her family and we went and lived in hers. I was told;"professional dress is required." I didn't know what that meant and had to ask. Sure enough- suit, or jacket and tie.

So, I always had my jacket on the back of the chair, shirt and tie on and an apron on top to keep my tie in place. My tie was always loose because of my large melon-like head.

It was pretty hot going. Everybody wore ties and jackets, even the girls.

TJR.

I wonder if there is any data, that proves that "professional dress" by students and staff, actually improves student learning?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to show up, wearing an old, beat up t-shirt, basketball shorts and flip flops.  But on Fridays, when we are allowed to wear jeans, I still look professional.  I still wear a nice shirt, tucked in, the jeans are in good shape, not tattered, or overly faded (though that would make me in style these days).

On a side note, I do randomly wear ties, and it confuses the students.  They think it's a special occasion, or some event they aren't aware of.

when I worked as a stocker/checker back in HS we had to wear ties and aprons seemed to work just fine. I worked 6-8 hour shifts moving constantly between the check stand and stocking and don't remember the ties being an issue at all and I did that for about 5 years.

Sounds like it would have been a good job that you would have like to have sorry it fell through.

I think the word for teaching art is to dress appropriately. I iron my shirt every morning. I often wear jeans but not faded or with holes in them. I have no visible piercings, and I am really glad that I didn't get that barbed wire tattoo on my arm.

Oh yeah! I always wear shoes.

TJR.

(I think the word for teaching art is to dress appropriately)

so flip flip flops/crocks hose the clay off easy-t-shirts wash easy-shorts (well long pants are best for clay)

The only holes I have in the old bod are ones that I was born with and that applies to ant markings-in fact I have less now than when young as various surgeon's have cut off a few moles (melanoma) and cut out 3 wrist bones so I'm less not more except for wieght which is not the same as I was in my younger daze.

Mark

Archived