Potters Seat

We been down for a couple weeks.. Home repairs had to be done, "not fun"... So we went and bought 500 lbs of clay as we were itching to throw some pots and get back in the swing of things... We sat down in our wooden chairs and threw for about 1 hour and we got up and looked at each other and said " my butt hurts'" LOL.. those chairs have to go so we ordered 2 new potters seats that are adjustable up/down with /front/back tilt.. I am so eager to sit and throw in 1 its not funny... I am getting into ergonomics and fixing anything I can to keep from getting sore, even my butt.. Ha ha, I know it sounds funny, but man I know I was hurting and a pillow wasn't working...

Also we want to thank you guys for the Kiln wash recipe's that were posted.. Doing them as I type, rolling the wash on is the only way to go.. They look good so far... no cracks at all, the other wash would be all cracked up by now and even worse after a bisque...

Good luck with the new chair/ stool.

Did you get the SpeedBall ST-1?

I just bought it and was disappointed the seat did not extend any higher than it did. I have bought a bar stool height gas cylinder that extends to 28 inches. Waiting for it to come in. Because of an arthtitic hip I can't sit low with my upper legs parallel to the flow.

Marcia , there is a good lower back stretch I like.. The Cobra, I love it... I really enjoyed your last Obvara firing.. im getting my raku kiln parts together.. It will happen this summer.. I will probably PM you with a few questions when I get the dragon ready to blow fire...

Stephen , im sorry man but I could only find a handful for sale. . Ruled out the bar stool type and it left 3, adjustability , left 2, 1 was over budget as we need 2, left 1, made it rather easy..

DhPotter no we didn't get that one, we got 2 of the ST-2 .. I like the adjustable seat forward/back tilt with up/down.. heck ya never know, they might not be worth a nickel when we sit in them... No local shops carry them... All they have are the regular adjustable stool with a hard top, im over hard seats already...

I have the Speedball chair and I love it, price not withstanding--I have a healed broken hip and some spinal issues and this chair is the only seating for the wheel that I have been able to use without pain coming on way too soon. 

That is brilliant! I might have to figure out how to build myself that set up. How did you figure out how high to build it? Oh and what are the white upside down cup looking things? PVC of some kind?

T

I first set my wheel up on some of my studio stools for a few days to test it and determine what height would work best. Lots of people just use cinder blocks to raise it up, but I don't like to crack my shins into cement.

Well, mine is a cautionary note from a woman with wider hips. I got the ST1 a while ago, sat down expecting nirvana, and found that it was like sitting on a poorly fitting bicycle seat with a lunky back support that was essentially unusable in it's bulk and position. The problem is, a woman's sitz bones (literally your ischial tuberosities) are inches wider than that seat, so the ST1 ends up supporting all of your weight on your perineum, rather than on your bones as it should. I understand that this might be a comfortable seat for a man with more narrow sitz bones, but no one in the community studio that sat on that chair (male and female) could imagine spending more than 15 minutes on that chair. Back it went.

I was subsequently gifted the Shimpo tiltable chair. It is flat, cushioned, yet wide enough for most people's bones. It is tiltable--frankly endlessly adjustable. It does not have a base that sticks out so far you stub your foot on it in small spaces. It's very light-weight, so easy to tuck away when not needed. It adjusts very, very high. If there was any complaint, (which I search a bit for) it's adjustability should include lower setings as well, for those who like to squat a bit and rest their backs while trimming or decorating (knees allowing). I raised my wheel rather than lowering the chair. It's light, it's affordable, and if standing or leaning is your preferred option, just raise it up such that it's your ledge to prop yourself on. I suspect that as my bones ache more over time, I'll adjust everything up, and keep my stool rising up with me.

I am not a paid spokesperson for Shimpo, and would be happy to review any product someone wants to send me!!! ;>

No question the st-1 is narrow and not for everyone-its not a seat one sets in for relaxing. Its only a throwing seat period.

I could see its not for wide hips and as noted above it a bit like a bicycle seat in the fact its narrow.

Mark

No qusetion the st-1 is narrow and not for everyone-its not a seat one sets in for relaxing. Its only a throwing seat period.

I could see its not for wide hips and as noted above it a bit like a bicycle seat in the fact its narrow.

Mark

There is a joke in here about wide hips, but I don't think I am going to attempt it without a smoke bomb to get away.

Anonymous.

Archived