Community Challenge Idea

What do people think about a monthly/two month challenge?

I have seen it done on other art forums and want to bring it here. The general idea is you have a subject matter or influence and we all go off and make a piece using the topic set out. After a month or two the entries would be voted on and a winners decided. Not sure if the forum allows for votes but I seem to remember voting on something.

Much more information would be decided for the actual thing but would you think about entering? If nobody joins in there is not much point.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There doesn't have to be a vote. I didn't really see the voting making it a competition. Using the term winners was probably the wrong word, there would be winners but only from everybody in the forum voting for their top three entries. 

Do you think having a vote would change who entered and what they decided on for an idea?

I think the term winners will detract from the challenge. I think just everyone posting what they came up with and created would inspire more people to post their work. Just my opinion, could be wrong, been wrong before. 

The idea of a challenge of creating something based on an idea is a great way for everyone to work and talk together though. Good idea.

I think it's a good idea. Might make my work progress. i am always up for a challenge.

I once entered a show where you had to make an Italian theme. I did Majolica nudes.

The next year it was candle-holders.  I made a gigantic one.

The following year was the theme of"love". I made a gigantic handbuilt heart that I was going to drive nails and bolts into, and glaze red. i was trying to work out how I could make it pump black sludge. I thought I better seek counseling instead. I'm O.K. now. No...really.o..k.. yeah. Laughs maniacally. :):rolleyes::o:mellow:

TJR.

still have the bolts.

Maybe a top 3? My problem is without an end how do you end it. I know it could have a time limit but that doesn't feel right.

In the vote it would be open to a lot of discussion about why you are voting for each and general blabbery about other works. Anybody can vote for any reason they would like to, no boxes to tick or criteria to fill.

I understand the point that people could get put off but I think we are enough of an open and welcoming community for it to be a fun challenge that new people would join in. Not afraid of the vote but enjoying the journey.

I look forward to your first entry TJR, some good ideas there for challenges. It is hard to know how specific to be with the brief.

A big read heart pumping black sludge. You would have won that one for sure..

I guess I could still make one since I still have a bucket of rusty bolts. Been happily married lo these past 17 years. I haven't had the urge to make something so cynical.

Glad the forum is back. Very therapeutic.

TJR.

I really like the idea of a two-month challenge.  I'm not crazy about the competition aspect, but I think that's a gender issue.  'Without a winner how would you end it' ?????  It would end on the date that was predetermined.  Ideally, everyone would post their images within a 3-4 day period on a "Let's see what you've come up with" thread. Or maybe there is even a smoother way to do that -- create a special album or something?

Just my thoughts.... Competition isn't a deal breaker, just possibly less of a harmony-creator.

Jayne 

I really like the idea of some sort of pop-up gallery...and the theme idea works for me.  If any of you follow Mugshot Mondays on Facebook, it is very popular and does include a weekly winner although I would go there even if the winner wasn't part of the project.  More recently, the Nashville Creative group on Facebook asked members of the group to take a picture of what they were working on at a particular moment...that was pretty interesting as well (and didn't require anything to be fired to display).

All I would ask... let's see if we can pull together some accompanying training on the different ways forum members can get images online...from camera or cellphone or other mobile device.  I could do some of the leg work...maybe a Jing video demo if that might be helpful.   I know of at least one lurker here who would show more work if she felt more comfortable with the technology. 

-Paul

I'm just saying that judging will go downhill VERY fast .... For evidence please read any and all threads on the topic of offering any kind of critique ... Hmmmmm.

Ask for images of work and they pour in ... ask for contest entries and its a trickle.

What would make a two or three month theme fun would be the opportunity to collaborate cyber style ... 'Steal' from someone else's idea and watch someone take yours and go somewhere with it. Work together and see what happens.

So here is what I think might work with some adjustments.

The postings happen for 2 months, as soon as you feel you have made something worth posting about the topic, you post it. Everyone sees it and talks about it. Then others post their creations, and people have lots of fun talking about it and creating new ideas.

At the end of the 2 months, you just don't open another thread for a month or what ever, and everyone can keep posting or talking about stuff until the thread dies down. Then say another month or so later when everyone is ready to do it again, you could start another and repeat. Something like 3 to 4 a year would probably be about the right number. This way no one feels pressured and its a real place for creative ideas to brew. 

Worrying about it ending really isn't a problem, because as people lose interest the thread will die off, like every other thread does. If the thread keeps going for longer than 2 months, then is it really a bad thing? Obviously its something the community wants to talk about?

Just an idea. 

Edit: The hardest part will be finding a topic most people are interested in. lol that could be nearly impossible.

I see it as there is the main challenge thread, where work in progress, entries and a few other comments would be.

After the time is up another would be created as a one post collection of all the entries where the (maybe voting for your favourite 3) and other comments would be. There is no real critique of work but a small explanation of why you like the piece you are voting for. 

Image hosting is not the best even if you know how to do it. I hit the 500kb post limit quite a bit. The final entries photos would definitely have to be hosted off site. I will have a think about that.

If anybody is really struggling and they could send me the photo another way, by email or whatever, I would be happy to resize and post it.

I think if a tutorial was being set up you do not want to go into the different ways, pick one easy way and teach that. There are many ways to reformat an image.

I agree that the hardest part is going to be coming up with a topic. Four a year could be a good amount. 

I like this idea. If people's feelings would be hurt by voting, than we can not do the voting for a winner.  I think picking a topic and have everyone make their own interpetation of that topic would inspire a lot of different ideas. Sounds like fun to me.

Archived