Pulling A "fancy" Handle

I have been able to learn to pull a handle.  A plain, simple, handle.  I would like to be able to make them with ridges and lines in them.  I talk to an instructor, watched you tube, etc.  "Just stick your thumb down as you run your hand down," isn't working for me.  Does anyone have some suggestions to offer?  I'm throwing mugs today and hoping to put some zing in my handles.

-chantay

For the center ridge, When making a pull I run the outside corner of my thumb in the center and the pulling motion creates a ridge down the center. If you slowly try, it will not work, it must be a confident pull.

After doing the initial pulling, I use my pointer finger to make the groove. My thumb is a little too big for a groove, the size I like.

I start by making my lug look like a trapezoid in the cross section-narrower at top, then wider at base. pull with thumb over top first, then next pull on left side with thumb, then on right side. This starts to build the ridges needed for the linear accents in the handle. Continuing in this manner will get you what you want with one other thing-practice.  When I first learned, it was with a triangle for a center ridge, with either a lft or rt thumb accent. When I figured out the trapezoid instead of the triangle the handles seemed to fit my style better. Look to my blog site, As I have a good picture in one of the pages of leather hard mugs with the trapezoidal pulled handle.

best,

Preston

Archived