Air trapped and exploding

Hello fellow potters!!! I have a quick question for you. Yesterday I made 2 female sculptures out of clay and the air was free from base to the head so no problem exploding. The second sculpture though at some point I had the head nearly cut off from the neck so I put it back together with slip and I used a bamboo skewer to hold it so it won't come off again. Now that is half dried, I cannot remove the skewer as it stuck to the neck of the sculpture.. my question is, if i put it in the kiln when it's all dried and ready to be fired, will the head explode because of the air trapped, or the skewer will burn out first so the air can escape from the neck down to the base?

Thanks in advance!!!

Trapped air doesn't cause explosions. What causes explosions is moisture in the clay. It can take a long time for all the moisture to leave the clay so oftentimes people leave a vent hole, not for the moisture to escape but for the air circulation to allow moisture to facilitate moisture escape. Air trapped inside work can rarely cause clay cracking, but not exploding,  as the air expands when heated.

I would do whatever you need to do to get that wood  skewer out of there. As the clay continues to shrink it can crack as the skewer won't shrink. 

Welcome to the forum :)

Guys thank you very much for the information! Explosion due to air myth was busted... I will let my work dry very slowly and hopefully it won't break the neck as the skewer won't come off and i dont want to put more pressure to it. I will let it dry completely before firing as usual. To be honest I never had experienced an explosion probably because I leave my work dry for another couple of days from the time I'm sure its bone dry. Hopefully it will come out in one piece. I will let you guys know when its fired! Thanks for all the comments and your time!!!

Try putting the piece on your cheek then take another piece that you absolutely know for sure is dry and put it on the other cheek. If one feels cooler than the other it isn't dry enough to put in the kiln. As Callie said go slow with the firing, soak (aka candle) the kiln at about 90C/200F  overnight to ensure it's dry all the way through.

I'm not too worried about the shrink cause a crack, because I didnt go through clay with the skewer. There was a hole at the neck that was a bit bigger than the skewer. I dont know why I used the the skewer, I just had it next to me and it was a fast solution to put the head back together. Normally I use nikrothal wire at different widths to keep joints together. I get cracks some times with thick wire when I go through clay with it. Hopefully this won't happen this time as there was a bigger hole there. I'll cross fingers and pray.

It's a good trick load my works fire and stay at 100°C for a few hours to evaporate water. I do that when I want to make sure they are fully dried!!!received_3255325551377636.jpeg.bf462dc399140e4104a34f37a7b2f28f.jpeg

3 hours ago, oldlady said:

i applaud your skill in balancing such a large top on such a slender base.

Thank very much old lady! I wanted to emphasize what she wears on her head. Clay shows you where to bend or put weight so it won't fall and I make the bottom part just a little bit thicker than the top at her head. The other sculpture is similar with a large top but even taller.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:09 AM, Spiros said:

skewer won't come off

Can you burn it out?  This will obviously happen in the kiln, but it might be worth experimenting with a lump of clay and another skewer beforehand to see if setting fire to the skewer will let it burn out and not crack the clay.

6 hours ago, Chilly said:

Can you burn it out?  This will obviously happen in the kiln, but it might be worth experimenting with a lump of clay and another skewer beforehand to see if setting fire to the skewer will let it burn out and not crack the clay.

I dont think it would burn because of the lack of oxygen. I thought soaking the skewer with a flammable liquid like alcohol or petrol and then set it on fire but I didnt do it because even then it probably wouldn't burn where the clay was round the skewer.. well it's in the kiln cooling down at the moment. It's about 220°C so in about 8 hrs I'll know if cracked.. 

Some basic rules apply here-wood will burn out at bisques temps. No matter what . Air ii clay does not explode its the moisture in the clay blowing up.from going up to fast in temp. The cure is to dry it more and fire it slower. That will always fixs blowing up and most cracking issues.

glaze time sounds fun 

nice looking work

Edited by Mark C.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:42 AM, Min said:

@Spiros, they look lovely just like they are!

Are you concerned that the one on the left might tip during the glaze fire?

I'm not concerned about that. They stand really well on their own. Actually when fired previously they were layed down. This time they stand as they are in the kiln because of glaze on their dresses.