QotW: How do you store your clay?

Hi folks, not new question in the pool, so I will pose one.

Recently we have had a lot of discussion of clay preparation, pugging, additives and other stuff. However, I don't remember very much about clay storage. I think it could be a good topic for discussion considering some folks have small amounts of clay to store at a time and others have tons to store.

QotW: How do you store your clay? How much do you usually store at a time, where do you store it, and how much care does it need when using it after storage?

Myself, I have a large kayak rack in front of the garage/shop. I built the kayak rack for our two 16 foot sea kayaks, and a 15 foot tandem recreational kayak. Under the kayak rack, I built a 2X6 high stand that is the width of a clay box, and 10 ft long. I can easily store 2000lb of  clay outside under the kayaks with a large tarp tied down all around with access points in front to lift out the boxes. I usually slam a bag on the wedging table on all sides to wake it up, then use it. The next year, I start doing a little slice and slam because the clay has frozen and thawed several times. If into a third year do the same.

best,

Pres

Thanks Pres, for the new QOTW. Last week I picked up 500# of clay which is a lot for me. I'm a hobby potter, so it will take quite some time for me to use all of this, but back orders and supply chain issues are still a problem. I had to wait several weeks for this order and did not want to run out again. I also purchased 500# amount so that I could get a price break.

Most of the clay will be stored in my unheated New England basement which gets just slightly chilly during winter and a few boxes in the garage, which is much colder. 

Betty

About quarterly I get 10 boxes of clay (20 kg each) and stack them outside my basement studio door. Most places in Canada do heated basements, if they have basements. 

I don’t have the space to keep larger amounts, and I seem to go through that amount in a reasonable time frame. I do try and call ahead to make sure they have it in stock if I’m shopping at the same time all the schools are restocking, but I haven’t had too many supply issues. Whenever possible, I try and use materials that are made or produced as close to home as I can.

I keep my clay in 5 gal buckets,  most of it is recycled clay in my studio.   I try to check them often to make sure they have enough water.   I was using some plant coasters under them to be able to move them around.   I recently found some heavy duty ones in  garage supplies,  they are much easier to roll around.   Denice

trying to do the math, callie.   so you buy 10 x44 pounds (approx 440) at a time.  my stuff comes in 50 pound boxes and i buy 500 pounds at a time, also for the price break at 500 pounds.  the guild ordered over 1000 pounds and shared the delivery charge among all of us who ordered anything. 

just moved the storage to under the bay window at the front of the studio.   not close to any radiators.  until last week,   it had been stored next to the boiler that heats the radiators and maintains a constant warmth so the radiators do not have to start up from room temperature in the winter, very cold matching the outdoor temp, adding a bit of warmth for sunshine each day.

a little worried about the cold of that location, the boxes stand 3 high and 4 stacks of 3.   a little was left over from last time i ordered.  floor is concrete with vinyl tile on top.   staying here during the winters now so i may be moving all of it back to the boiler area if it gets too cold.

I’m thankful for this question, to hear how others approach the storage issue. Still a work in progress for me. I make my own clay in the summer and use it over the winter. I learned to bag it a lot softer than workable consistency. I always double bag in thick plastic (polyethylene is waterproof but not vapor proof, the clay will dry out) then put in a plastic tote with a lid. Those can stack. I haven’t stored the clay outdoors, but when I get a pugmill I might try that. Sure would open up some studio space. 

In original boxes on top of an old tool chest in the garage - a spot that doesn't get sunshine - covered with a folded-up tarp, tucked in all around.
My theory being that temperature changes dry out the clay faster, and lower temperature is better.
In the Studio, I'm covering in progress bags with a folded-up towel, which keeps the sun off, slows down air movement, and may slow down temperature changes.
There's just under three hundred pounds waiting; will see how that goes over the months ahead, then go from there.

I have found that clay that has frozen, may come out little wet when thawed on the outside. I cut the clay in 3rds flipping the outside slices inward and slam the block squarer then do the same with the top and bottom of the block. 

Clay that has been slop in the winter and freezes will become quite good when thawing on a board in a warm shop. I usually put the board over a bucket and let the water from the thawing slop drain to the bucket. Leave it sit covered with a plastic till next morning and it will be wedgeable.

best,

Pres

@oldladymy supplier does price breaks by box rather than by round numbers of weight, so I am getting some bulk discounts with that number. The boxes are 20 kg, so yeah, 44 pounds each. 

I have done group orders in the past, but I don’t have the bandwidth at the moment for herding cats like that. Part of the reason I get quarterly amounts is because my supplier is in the city and the manufacturer is about a 3 hour drive. so it’s more convenient and I get clay at the right consistencyAll things considered, the cost of my clay is one of my more affordable business expenses. 

*edited to tag the right person. Sorry Babs!

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@Babs my supplier does price breaks by box rather than by round numbers of weight, so I am getting some bulk discounts with that number. I have done group orders in the past, but I don’t have the bandwidth at the moment for herding cats like that. Part of the reason I get quarterly amounts is because my supplier is in the city and the manufacturer is about a 3 hour drive. so it’s more convenient and I get clay at the right consistencyAll things considered, the cost of my clay is one of my more affordable business expenses. 

Not me Callie, maybe  @Bam2015 not a cat herder or kittens in basket keeper here either

I keep my clay in the basement, next to where I work.  It's stacked up.  I am a distance from my clay supplier, so I do tend to stock up when I can.  I keep some boxes out in the shop.  It's cool out there in the winter but doesn't freeze. That clay is more accessible if I am taking the clay to a workshop or giving it to others who are throwing for Empty bowls or something like that.  I am with the non cat herding people.  I have tried in the past to organize a shipment to our part of the world.  Never again.

r.

I order by the tonne. It comes on a pallet shrouded in ceram wrap, 100x 10kg plastic bags full.

I double bag and seal the lot.

Put half back on pallet, rewrap up, put in shaded side of shed. Cover the lot with thick plastic sheeting. The other half is put under the benches in my shed. Long hot sumers here.

If anything gets too dried out, I put cup of water in bag , reseal and submerge in a bucket of water.

I used to carry 3xbags full into the shed but now one at a time!

Are 10kgs getting heavier these days?

What's going on there??

@Babs I remember in the day that I would put a box of clay under one arm, and one under the other to carry them into the shop. Stopped doing that about 10 years ago, only carry one box at a time. My boxes are made up of two 25# bags. Seems like everything gets heavier lately, even my 15# bowling ball!

best,

Pres

7 hours ago, Pres said:

@Babs I remember in the day that I would put a box of clay under one arm, and one under the other to carry them into the shop. Stopped doing that about 10 years ago, only carry one box at a time. My boxes are made up of two 25# bags. Seems like everything gets heavier lately, even my 15# bowling ball!

best,

Pres

Keep doing those side planks!

yes, babs, everything is getting heavier.   there is such a thing as gravity now, i never really noticed it until lately.   just brought home 500 pounds, packed like pres gets his, 50 pounds to the box.

i hijacked 2 neighbors going by and asked them to just set the boxes inside the bay window and i would put them underneath the shelf right there.  i dropped two of them and the helpful neighbors asked me to just get out of the way while they did it.

@oldlady, you know how I was wedging and throwing at the workshop? I have a 15# planter that I just threw. Had to wedge the clay in two pieces as I did not have the energy to wedge the full weight. Since covid this Summer, I have not had energy to do much of anything. Doing more push ups now, and pull ups and the side plank dips, but it is rough. Still have covid cough too.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic