QotW: What 5 tools are essential for throwers? For handbuilders?

I have been thinking about getting back into the shop. . . . that is really hard to get into now as the garage door had a large snow pile in front of it, that was soaked with ice that melted under the door and refroze all over the floor. No damage, as everything is on shelves, but really not good to walk on yet. However, I was thinking of what tools to get together for working in the house. This brings me to ask, , , ,what tools are essential?

So QotW: What 5 tools are essential for throwers? For handbuilders?

I'm not going to put my two cents in yet, why spoil the fun, besides it will be interesting to see what folks think are "essential".

best,

Pres

We're having some unusually warm weather here this week; a typical year may see a few days over 80F, however, typically in August to October.
I've been watering some in the yard (gray water system), wearing summer clothes, and enjoying shorter cycles in the studio.

Throwing, hrrrm, needle tool, sponges (I'm a count that as one*), metal rib, wooden knife, wooden rib.

Trimming, hrrrm II, needle tool, small two ended loop, bladed tool*, metal rib, chattering tool(s).
     Forgot calipers - use them a lot, to determine where the clay ends when trimming feet; I'd trade the loop tool for the calipers to keep it at five...

*From one large sponge, I've cut two small purpose-shapes for wetting and drying, leaving a large (large!!) chunk for clean ups.
I'll credit Bill van Gilder for sponge cutting idea; later, had seen that several folk do the same thing...
**repurposed hack saw blade

A towel-y rag is handy as well, for drying hands, cradling work to be handled, etc.  - change out if/when any clay gets on there, afore it starts puffing dust.

Edited by Hulk
calipser

Lets see a wooden pointed stick either from Kemper or a beach find  via a grinder for a point-a pro needle tool, sponge (I do not use ribs much anymore)

water bucket(mine is a bowl) I'm now down to simple basics-then of couse one trim tool (for me its custom Bison double ender thats small)

For throwing it would be sponge (piece of firm upholstery foam), Xiem BatMate (to hold the batts down with no pins or clay), metric ruler (instead of callipers),  turning tool (instead of wood knife) and ribs.

For handbuilding it would be rolling pins, ribs, templates,  weights and bendable hair rollers.

Only 5 tools? That's rough!

OK-for hand-building: a Kemper fettling knife; an  XIEM mini-double-ended fettling/smoothing tool; a double-sided paddle (smooth/texture); a pony roller; and a Kemper hole cutter-the pointed kind that can ream out various sizes.

Most everything else can be scrounged from around the house & modified if needed.

For throwing: an MKM wooden rib with a straight edge & a curved edge; a  piece of sea sponge; a medium Kemper loop tool;  a cut off wire with handles, and; a music play list that will motivate me into giving it another go.

wish you had asked this before i came down here with a box of hand tools and totally forgot my pastry roller.   like a pony roller but more comfortable and a better grade of wood.   two of them are hanging off the slab roller in wv, one with a note in sharpie "leave in Fl".

can't get down to just 5.  will think some more.

for throwing, a bat, a yellow rib, a wooden rib, a needle tool, sponge.    Handbuilding....wareboard, slab roller, red rib, needle tool, templates

When I cleaned out a studio for a long time potter's family after he had passed, he had 5 tools.  That was it.  There wasn't endless choices of ribs and knives and sponges and stuff.  A wooden handmade caliper, one wooden rib, one handmade needle tool, one small chunk of chamois and a wire.  That was it.  He had worked for years and years with only those tools..

r

• 2 months later...

Who needs 5 tools?!

I need a wheel to throw and some water; to hand build I need a flat surface and a stick.  

use the equipment you have at hand; and make stuff.  pots were made long before throwing wheels were invented.  First day in class we were handed a lump of clay about the size of a softball and given 10 minutes to make something from the clay.   easy to make a cup.  

LT

• Pres unpinned this topic