Haaaalp! I Think I Killed Fred! :'(

So, uh...

Ha.

Crap.

I was messing with Fred's plug into the wall, when, "POP POP SPARK POP!!"

Geh.

But! He worked! He was buzzing and his indicator light was shining a bright, healthy orange. So, I put his lowest switch on "low" to preheat my precious fox head sculpture and a few more things. Then, after a couple hours, I put the mid and top switches on "low." After waiting five hours, I switched 'em to "med." Finally, after six more hours, I went out to the garage to switch him up to "high..."

...buuuut...I noticed the snow wasn't cleared away from the exhaust vent. Ohhh crap. So, I tucked my hand into my sleeve and pulled out one of the spy hole plugs...

PITCH. BLACK.

OMG.

Fred was warm, but not so warm I couldn't touch his lid bare handed. The switches buzzed like they always do when I turn up the power, but the elements didn't heat up and glow at all!! HNNNGHHH and I can't get into the dang power box until tomorrow, because it's freaking midnight, 9F outside in the garage, and my stupid useless hands just can't work fine tools when it's that cold.

Do any of you have any idea what is happening to my poor Fred? He's an ooooold man, and I hope that power burst didn't break him!! I'll be devastated... my hunny's and mom's Xmas presents are in there! :'(

The power light doesn't mean anything other than there's power to the light. But it's no indicator of the rest of the kiln working. There's a lot of possibilities as to what's wrong, so you'll have to go through the system to find the problem. Could be a connection anywhere along the line, or a switch, or the sitter.

What is the model of the kiln? 240V or 120V?

What exactly were you doing when it sparked?

I didn't kill Fred!! ^_^ YAAAY!

...I DID kill the plug, though... >.>

One of the connectors inside the plug came loose and fried the ground wire. I got a new plug, but I gotta wait for my neighbor to help me feex.

I also opened up Fred's boxes and everything is aces! ♥

Yikes...So much for Xmas presents getting done on time. Aaaalways something!! >_<

Frank was right, btw. :)

Two forty volt systems will do this all the time. Was my first thought for older systems. Light works off of the one pole (120v 120v vand a common) one can get loose or burned off leaving the other pole to still drive the 120 components with in.

Still time for an Xmas firing. Ill be doing our last glaze firing on Thursday. Either way this is a good Christmas miracle for ending the year on.

Merry Christmas 

I'm happy to hear it all worked out.

In the future for those of you who may not know what to look for....

A spark, b-z-z-t-t-t, snap, crackle, pop any unusual visual display, abnormally high temperature, or noise is good indicator somethings not right.

A loose connection on a plug, breaker, ect. Shut The Power OFF and check it out immediately. If you can't find the cause it's best to call in a second pare of eyes to give it a second look.

If it's a loose connection, simply tightening the screw will save the day, the part, and possibly your building. 

Sometime the possible points of failure are in more that one spot and you'll want to check every screw and every mechanical contact point.

Screws sometimes work loose, breakers start to fail, things get hot because they are loose, then get exponentially worse and they short cause fires and ruin parts.

There are lots of people who hate working with anything electrical and may unknowingly overlook a potentially dangerous situation.

I'm very OCD when it comes to electrical.  While servicing and installing electrical devises I've seen lots of electrical things fail over the years and to me this is common sense. Double and triple check yourself if it's necessary, OCD can be a good thing when working with electricity. I hope this may help someone avoid problems in the future.

Archived