Looking For An Artist To Re-Make A Piece For A Christmas Gift

Hi there!

I hope someone can help... My mother has had this pie plate for years, her favorite. It broke a few months ago but she has kept the broken piece with the horse because she loves it so much.The original artist has passed, otherwise I would have them do the piece. I've had no luck with an artist taking this on for some reason, thought it would be easier to find someone than I thought! I've attached a photo below...

So, my question is -Would anyone be open to the opportunity of remaking this pie dish? also is it at all possible to make something like this by Christmas, It would need to be sent to Williamstown, MA? Or - sent to Raleigh, NC by Dec. 21st. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you, 

Sarah

post-73360-0-78839800-1450200781_thumb.png

post-73360-0-78839800-1450200781_thumb.png

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.

I can understand your wish to replace this dish for your Mom but ... and this is a big BUT ... Nothing will replace this dish. No one can reproduce the feelings attached to it ... To say nothing of the shape, the weight, the glazes, the design.

There is also about zero chance of it being done in your time frame as well ... Hand made pottery takes time.

I would suggest you go to a nice pottery place and choose a lovely replacement. If you are in Raleigh, you can find good pottery locally ... Or better yet take your Mom to Seagrove and let her visit potters and choose a replacement.

I say this from the point of view of a potter who has tried to duplicate cherished pieces ... it has never worked out well in my experience.

chris is right, there is no way to duplicate that pot.  trying will only frustrate you and the potter, even if you could find one at this extremely late date.  

give her something completely different or do the seagrove trip.  that would offer you an opportunity to spend time with her and form an entirely different pleasant memory for both of you.  that associated memory will warm her each time she sees or uses  the pot.

There is a potter on this forum who makes a ton of horse stuff that looks very similar to that. I am sure they will chime in if they can do it.

EDIT: didn't see you wanted it by Christmas. That's near impossible.

Ron is in the neighbourhood of Merrit, British Columbia, Canada. Freight will be a bear.

I was asked two days ago if I could make dinnerware set (6) settings by xmas for a gift

I laughed and said no way but I do have the flatware to build that set at my holiday pottery sale booth

They have yet to show up

People these days do not follow thru like the last generation or that has been my experience.

Mark, I believe that is because people are so accustomed to having things "Now".  People do not have patience, because they have never had to learn it.  We are CONSTANTLY connected with each other via phones, computers, etc.  You can get a hold of someone nearly any time you want.  Contrast this to a couple decades ago, and you could call someone, but generally just from your home, to their home.  Then go back even further, and people just sent letters.  So you had to wait days, weeks to hear from someone.

The same is true with goods.  It used to be that people were used to waiting for quality goods.  They had to be made, and shipped.  Now, a person can order something, from the comfort of their home, without every talking to an actual person and have it arrive a day or two later.

As a society, we have expected near everything to be immediate.  That is unfortunate, because I feel that being patient, makes you appreciate things a whole lot more.

Yes I get the need it now thing

But come on not all things in life are that way and the public seems just a bit more clueless than they used to be.

Since I,m doing retail everyday for 17 days this month my exposure to idiots is higher than normal and my toll prance is way thinner.

So custom by Xmas orders after 40 years is not a new idea to throw my way at the last moment.

I keep a few sandwich bags with small amounts of clay to give out to just such a requester so they can do it themselves in time.

Until I started working with clay, I had no idea of the time involved in making an item from block of clay to unloaded from glaze kiln. So, let's be not too quick to chortle when we get the short turnaround question or comment. Nor do I think asking to make a replacement is not too much. Yes, it will not have the personal attachment/sentiment of the original; but, it will carry a lot of new attachment/sentiment that someone thought enough to go to the trouble to have a replacement made. It may not be the object, but the thought behind it that counts more. (Okay, back to being the hardened, all business potter.)

I tried to be nice and explain why it was impossible... but honestly, this is not the craziest request I've got. This one... person... thought I could make her a custom illustrated mug by the end of a single weekend (even though I was 300 miles from my equipment, ANYWAY). I mean... that's pretty bad. This poor lady probably thinks we're all attacking her. :(

I promise, I'm not! D:

Archived