Community Challenge #4

Joseph and Benzine: Thank you for the encouragement.

Miss B: Thank you for your recommendations.

Chilly: I could not agree with you more on the handles. Most used tool by this potter...... HAMMMER!!!

Paul: This design is great. Can't wait to see Wednesday.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul, how did you create the texture on the horns?

Update on my entry:  Came out of the bisque this morning.  Everything looks good.  No structural concerns, as far as I can tell.  It had some small separation cracks, along, where the handles attach.  I smoothed them prior to loading it, I haven't see if they returned or  not.  

Now, it's time to think on glazes...

Chilly: I could not agree with you more on the handles. Most used tool by this potter...... HAMMMER!!!

I think you need curved handles - more like the one below.  Throw away the hammer, it's much better than the one I haven't done - lol 

19-p136medium.jpg

A hooved foot. I couldn't help myself.

It behoved someone to say it.. :)

I am just 'toeing the line' here, I'd be a heel otherwise...'digit'ally speaking, of course. (hey, I' didn't start this...but a hydria needs to have 'sole')

Just adding a pun-ny twist to "nailing it",

-Paul

We're just a few weeks away from the end of this challenge...how is everyone doing?

Curiously,

-Paul

I haven't made one ... I would never use it, I'm not sure it would sell, and I can't think of anybody who would like it as a gift. So I think I'm going to wait till the next challenge to participate. 

We're just a few weeks away from the end of this challenge...how is everyone doing?

Curiously,

-Paul

I haven't made one ... I would never use it, I'm not sure it would sell, and I can't think of anybody who would like it as a gift. So I think I'm going to wait till the next challenge to participate.

I feel the same way. This challenge didn't really interest me but I'm looking forward to the next one.

This was my attempt number 2. I ended up scrapping it because it flew off the wheel.. OOPS. It was from about 8# of clay, which wasn't enough to get it as big as I wanted. I threw another one with 15# and it wore my butt out. I finally got it pulled then when I started forming it, the top part was to heavy and sagged in the middle. I keep running into this problem. I am not sure how I can throw the pot in the picture I posted. It is so hard to have all that weight on the shoulder from the big collared neck. I think I need to throw a big bowl, then throw a dome lid, then apply them together. I will do attempt 4 later tonight.

I recorded all of these attempts I am going to compile them into a really fast video.

post-63346-0-88481700-1452890006_thumb.jpg

post-63346-0-88481700-1452890006_thumb.jpg

So I just threw one from a 15# block of clay. I put a fan on it and turned on my wheel slowly turning so that I could throw it more once it dried. Well. Needless to say I hit the wheel to fullspeed fumbling around. Attempt 3 coming up. I am having fun though woo woo. I am going to speed x4 post a video of all my attempts. 

Joseph, I did what you had suggested about throwing in 1lb increments and it was so much easier to go up in size. I was very focused on learning to throw pie plates. I did two three pound plates successfully (they could be a matched set) and when I got to the four pound plate, I spent extra extra time working on the bottom. It was the flattest, smoothest plate ever. I then made these beautiful, perfectly tapered sides. When it was all done, I went to sponge off the excess water and accidentally stepped on the pedal to full speed. I turned it off two seconds later but it had already spun out almost flat before my horrified eyes. It was like watching a sweater unravel. It's a really nice platter now, and I laugh every time I think of it, but I was done for the night after that. 

So I just threw one from a 15# block of clay. I put a fan on it and turned on my wheel slowly turning so that I could throw it more once it dried. Well. Needless to say I hit the wheel to fullspeed fumbling around. Attempt 3 coming up. I am having fun though woo woo. I am going to speed x4 post a video of all my attempts. 

Joseph, I did what you had suggested about throwing in 1lb increments and it was so much easier to go up in size. I was very focused on learning to throw pie plates. I did two three pound plates successfully (they could be a matched set) and when I got to the four pound plate, I spent extra extra time working on the bottom. It was the flattest, smoothest plate ever. I then made these beautiful, perfectly tapered sides. When it was all done, I went to sponge off the excess water and accidentally stepped on the pedal to full speed. I turned it off two seconds later but it had already spun out almost flat before my horrified eyes. It was like watching a sweater unravel. It's a really nice platter now, and I laugh every time I think of it, but I was done for the night after that. 

That is awesome. Glad it worked for you. It takes a while to get it down, but keep doing that every day and you will be able to throw 5# super easy. 

So just for kicks here is my video of me failing to make this form. I am bringing my shoulders in too flat. I collapsed all 3 pots. The last pot I was just tinkering with to see what I could get away with as far as a blow dryer, never did that before so i wanted to push it as far as i could for experience. The first 2 hunks of clay were about 7-8 pounds the last one was 15. I figured recording myself making this would show me exactly where it went wrong. I think it worked pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYNuPLTafE&feature=youtu.be

Video is about 4 minutes. The form is a lot harder to make than I thought it would be. That shoulder gets me because you need to have enough clay to shoulder in and bring up a collar and then make a rim. I think I have how to do it in my head now. I will try more tomorrow.

I have never made this form before, or ever tried to throw this much clay on a tall cylinder, only bowls.

EDIT:

I finally got the form on attempt 4. The neck isn't as tall as I would like, but what ever. I am not spending any more time on throwing another.

I will attach handles tomorrow probably. No idea how I am going to glaze this thing.

post-63346-0-02118400-1452914915_thumb.jpg

post-63346-0-02118400-1452914915_thumb.jpg

Archived