Glaze Spraying With A

Crusty

Wagner power paint sprayer? anyone tried this? I have a guy at work said he would sell me his as it is just sitting in the box after he painted the top floor of his house with it... He says it will also spray stain, so that made me think it may spray glaze as well. I really don't want a air compressor set-up as I don't have room for it just yet.. I have to clean out the shed and have a yard sell or something LOL, its packed full of stuff...

Spend you money on something that works well for glazes and slips

This unit works great is self contained-a bit noisy but easy to clean-I have used one for over 15 years-I spray outside with it.

It often is on sale for under 100$

The wagner may work but this one really works fine.

Mark

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

The key is high volume low pressure

I didn't like that one from Harbor Freight because I use an air brush sometimes and this is only one setting for the air pressure and no way to change to a different spray gun. I have a Geil gravity feed spray gun plus an EZ spray gun with 4 plastic jars.. So I replaced my compressor with a used Powerful from Sears which is whay I had been using for decades. I needed to replace the Powerful because it was noisy and overheating.

If I only used the HVLP from Harbor Freight for glazing it would have been fine. It all depends on what you need to do with it.

Marcia

I was trying to keep it simple for Crusty as he did not want a air compressor

I to have a small compressor and an airbrush and a Giel gun and two other guns as well

I will add I use them all over time and usually at the same time as each has a different mix in it when sraying but the harbor freight one is self contained all in one

easy to use and clean-my biggest beef is its noisy and as mentioned only one setting.

It sprays slip to glaze just fine but it will not do any detail.

I still like my small compressor and guns if I had to choose .

Mark

The HVLP looks pretty good to me.. Thanks Mark, I watched the video on it..

You 2 had to mention air brushes, O boy I hope Cindy doesn't see this .. Ill be buying both if she does...

I used to spray commercial epoxy back in  my younger days, we usually ran our hog pumps around 60 PSI .. our guns had recoil LOL...

We have the harbor freight HVLP my husband bought it for shooting primer on cars that he is restores.  He didn't like it for that, he couldn't get the spray pattern fine enough.  I was glazing a 4' fountain with my critter sprayer and small sears hobby compressor, he said it was going to take forever and wanted to try the HVLP.  It worked pretty well but I was also worried  about the spray pattern, the piece had a lot of texture on it.  If I hadn't sprayed it with the critter sprayer first I would have been worried about small bare spots.  But that could just be our sprayer, you could always get one and try it and it you don't like it resell it.     Denice

There are some past posts on this forum that list some really good sprayer's.

The handheld Wagner is the worst painter that I have ever used and extreemly noisy.

If this is the airless wagner that sits in a 1 gallon or 5 gallon bucket of paint and is used to paint a house, I would say probably not, it's overkill. They work great, are prety quiet, have very little overspray, but they are realy made for super sonic speed and large projects.They can be so fast that it takes longer to set up than it does to paint. If you have to switch colors, you will get a lot of waste.

It would probably be really hard to dial down, but with the right spray tip this may be possible.

I would dip them over spraying, but if you have your heart set on spraying you probably want to get a small compressor. I'm not a big fan of Harbor frieght but thier 8 gal. 2 HP 125 PSI Oil Lube Air Compressor is small and will do a lot of other things around the house. I bought one for an extra compressor and eneded up using the snott out of it. They have smaller oiless ones but they are more for nail guns or small air brushes.

Ok I will explain my intentions and or need of a sprayer... I am sorry , I should have already done this...

I am going into my artsy "Organic" mode soon... I will be making large planters roughly 18'' tall , they will be textured in some way for sure... not sure just yet on the finale dimensions but I cant dip them.. I was thinking of a base coat then doing some layering with a brush and some with the gun...

I think the Wagner is the hand held model.. ill pass on it..

sounds like some good and bad both on the HVLP, ugh...As long as its not "fingering- 2 or more little streams coming out instead of a full fan" when it sprays it should be ok..

Mark does that unit have a metal handle or plastic?

If I absolutely have to get a compressor/gun combo for best results.. I will ...

If you already have a compressor, are there any major drawbacks to using the critter gun?  I like the idea of storing glaze and slip in Mason jars, and being able to switch quickly between them.  I'm currently using a mouth atomizer, which kind of blows for complex patterns, because you have to empty the reservoir and clean it between different slips and glazes.

i have the EZ sprayer and use my compressor turned pretty high.  the bottles that come with it are usually bad.  i cannot imagine why they have not fixed the problem.  the threads do not fit with the height of the shoulder and the glaze leaks out.  i keep glazes in the 20 or so bottles i have and use them but REALLY do not like them.  if i were starting out, i would go with the critter.  glass bottles have no appeal for me and mason jar lids rust but they have to be better than the ez ones.  spraying glazes is not hard, it takes practice like anything else.  i spray greenware and fire only once.  love the freedom to scrape off anything i don't like and respray it.  it is fast and easy to do outside with a fan behind me if the wind is not right.

thanks!!  i just looked at both sprayers and the bailey sprayer.  i realized why i like the eze one, its handle is not just a tiny finger pull but a large one that is more comfortable to use.  i have a call in to the manufacturer about the bottles.  i use mine outside and have made a holster for it out of a plastic rain gutter part.  it hangs on the corner of my glaze "table"  which is really a metal stand for a glass top.  the top is long gone and i use the table frame to hold refrigerator shelves full of pots during the glazing process.

The great thing about spraying glaze is that you can spray greenware and once fire. Since the spray doesn't wet the clay such as dipping I found the pieces won't crack. I use to have a large commercial pottery and we sprayed everything and single fired, save lots of money on fuel for the kiln. For that operation I had a Binks, commercial gun with a special tip for particle size. It helps to ball mill the glaze so the particle size is very small. If you use commercial gazes they are already ball milled. Just thin them out. You'll  also need several coats since each coat is very thin. Now I use a Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a 2 pint cup. Works well But you do need a compressor, even a small one will do. It's a good idea to build a small spray booth outside, just a box with a cheap fan in the back to exhaust the fine overspray, and always ware a simple face mask too.post-66316-0-21348000-1424277758_thumb.jpgpost-66316-0-43936900-1424277767_thumb.jpg

post-66316-0-21348000-1424277758_thumb.jpg

post-66316-0-43936900-1424277767_thumb.jpg

I recommend the compressor and HVLP route, and in this instance endorse cheeping with a harbor freight gun. Harbor freight paint guns will work well for what you need and when they inevitably wear out due to the nature of glaze (abrasive particulate) running through them you won't feel it in your wallet as bad. Do make sure you get a big enough compressor, lack of air volume and low psi will give you fits if you are spraying a lot. I have two HF paint guns one detail size and the other a standard size, both gravity feed, which I would recommend over a syphon style gun. You may have to play with thinning out a glaze or adjusting to a higher psi on your compressor to have good results. You should think about running your glaze through a screen or mesh too, even body shops run their paint through strainers and adjust viscosity with thinners to achieve desired results, not that you are painting a hot rod.  No matter what you do if you adjust the glaze test and take notes, you will be glad you did, but above all else enjoy the journey.

i cannot understand why anyone would want to use a sprayer with lots of tiny parts and that requires dissassembly to clean it.  the simple eze and critter have holes big enough to fit glaze through without getting stopped up except by lumps. lumpy glaze should not be used at any time or with any method.  keeping glaze in condition is the potter's responsibility.  cleaning these siphon sprayers involves spraying water through them until the water runs clear, a simple wipe with a sponge if necessary and you are done.  no tiny parts that fall into the drain and get lost the day before the big push.

Yes you do have to break down the gun to clean, but you are only looking an half a dozen parts at most and none so small that they are unmanageable. Additionally spraying them off with a hose or the sprayer in your sink makes clean up easy enough. The buy in for a cheap gun is 20 bucks or less, half the price of the critter, and if you are just learning or not a regular sprayer, then the price is right. I have never had an issue with leaking from a poor seal on any of these guns, however they have only seen light use. I have used a sprayer similar to the critter at a community center with a spray booth, and found that the balance less then desirable for me as well. 

• 5 years later...

I still use it when doing salt slips-the biggest drawback is the noise level.This thing is like a vacuum cleaner-really loud. Those small 1-2 gallon oilless compressors are much quieter  and cost about the same.-the drawback is you then need a spray gun as well as a hose So if cost sensitive that may factor in.

I tend to use it outside only-so if you are in a winter climate that may be harder.

I like these  smaller  units (traditional commporessors) or you can upgrade to a better brand name than say a harbor frieght.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-Gallon-135-PSI-Ultra-Quiet-Hand-Carry-Jobsite-Air-Compressor-64596.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiOTUyMDE5NjUiLCJza3UiOiI2NDU5NiIsImlzIjoiMTI5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6IjEyODcyIn0%3D &cid=paid_google|||64596&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4jE1qyR6gIVTNbACh1HZAr7EAQYASABEgKv-fD_BwE

You will need some ear protection with the noisy unit .These other ones are much easier on the noise.

The other factor is with the other unit(a normnal compressor)  is you use a air brush or spray gun and its more versital. They each have their place

Archived