I have been using a Thomas Stuart with the removable large pan, which I really like, puts my water bucket close to me,for about a year now, and I'm thinking it is too large for me to comfortably throw smaller things that require me to work at the center of the wheel, like mugs.  I am having back trouble when I make smaller things, but not when I throw over 4 lbs and work closer to my body.  Would you please measure your wheel from center to outside edge of pan or base?  I may need to change wheels.  Even when I put the chair slap against the base of the front of the wheel, I'm really stretching to reach the center.

First, it may be a height issue, not just a diameter issue. You are probably bending over farther when doing the small pieces. So be very aware of how you bend. Try to keep your back straight and bend at the waist. You could also try raising your wheel up into a seated/standing position. Then you wouldn't have to invest in a new wheel. You should be able to buy longer legs for your wheel.

I'm thinking any other brand of wheel is only going to gain you about an inch or two unless you go to something with a smaller wheel head.

I have a Bailey with the large permanent splash pan. It is 9.5 inches from the center of the wheel to the front edge of the splash pan. I am 5'5" and have no problem throwing smaller things. Is the Thomas Stuart considerably bigger than this? Agree with Neil that most wheels will be within an inch or so of each other, but then I haven't looked around in a while.

would leg extensions made with pvc pipe work to raise your wheel just to try standing?  i am picturing long legs with a pair of holes drilled through 3 inch diameter PVC pipe at about 6 inches down and a bolt run through the holes to support and  hold the wheel"s legs.  could it work?

Thanks for the input, guys.  I am very long waisted and to be able to brace my elbows on my thighs for stability, I end up bending over a good bit.  Right now I have my seat level with the bat height.

It is my left hip-low back that is the problem.  I use a mirror to diminish leaning over to one side. I get up and move around often, keep the next ball of clay out of reach to make sure I do.  I'm thinking it is how folded my knees, hips are that is what is bothering me?

I have tried standing at some other potter's wheels, but can get over the clay enough to get it centered.

I am thinking about the CI chair with the slanted seat.  Would the slanted seat make me able to open the hip angle some and still be seated and get forward?  It's about $100, but that's better than hurting, IF IT HELPS.  Do you have one, did it make a difference in you physical comfort?

Marcia, do you stand, with the legs added to?

I opted for the CI wheel ST-4. they now have one S-4 with an adjustable seat angle. John Baymore swears by his ST-1. All of them will help with your back problem, and with the adjustable height options you may be able to put you wheel up a bit, and use different seat heights to help you work with different sizes of pottery.  I love my ST-4, and purchased many for school when teachiing, and they held up quite well to student abuse. At the price I could not go wrong.

With the large splash pan, the TS I have, the Legend, I think, measures 11 1/2" from center of wheel head to outer edge of splash pan.  Pan puts me almost 2" farther than if the pan was removed.  I will work on that and see what happens.  The OLD Brent I used before is only9" same measurement, I did not have the problem.  I bought the TS because the old Brent was noisy and the foot pedal was jerky.

I use a Bailey with a big splash pan. It is just plain uncomfortable. It's fatiguing to sit down and throw for an hour or so since it is  too low relative to the proper height relationship between my pelvis and my knees/feet. The peddle is so tall it forces me to put a brick under my right foot. From the pics I saw of the TS wheel I'm guessing the same design oversights are at play. If I can't get my Soldner back this winter I guess I'll just have to stick bricks under the legs to lift the wheel head.

Joel.

I use a Bailey with a big splash pan. It is just plain uncomfortable. It's fatiguing to sit down and throw for an hour or so since it is  too low relative to the proper height relationship between my pelvis and my knees/feet. The peddle is so tall it forces me to put a brick under my right foot. From the pics I saw of the TS wheel I'm guessing the same design oversights are at play. If I can't get my Soldner back this winter I guess I'll just have to stick bricks under the legs to lift the wheel head.

Joel.

I think it's unfair to say these are design oversights. I think all this just goes to show that every body is different. This is why cars have adjustable seats. I can throw at my TS all day with no problem, and so can my students, but for others it's uncomfortable. The Soldner may be uncomfortable for others even though you like it. Whatever wheel you have, you can always shim your chair or shim the wheel as needed to get the height fit right. It's impossible to make a product that fits every body.

With the large splash pan, the TS I have, the Legend, I think, measures 11 1/2" from center of wheel head to outer edge of splash pan.  Pan puts me almost 2" farther than if the pan was removed.  I will work on that and see what happens.  The OLD Brent I used before is only9" same measurement, I did not have the problem.  I bought the TS because the old Brent was noisy and the foot pedal was jerky.

As far as the old Brent just adjust the foot pedal to solve and jerkyness-Take the bottom pedal plate off and adjust the blue and red knobs with a small straight blade screwdriver-there is a relationship with high and low speeds . set the low test the high-make sure it turns off this may take a few adjustments. The noise you will have to live  other than loosing or tightening the belt tension. Brents are easy to fix or if noise is a major concern get a whisper lite-they are the quietest I have been around

As to stools I use two st-1s from creative industries at a few Brent wheels-this is the best support I have used but they do take some getting used to.

Mark

I use a Pacifica 400 gt. It's great for me. I'm 5'9 and I just use an upside down bucket that's the exact same height as the wheel table for my chair. The edge of the splash pan measures about 4 inches away from the bat so it's not over the edge too much. The noise on it isn't very bad either; it's just a dull hum. But, I'm pretty sure the best wheel for you would depend on your specific height and build; as I'm pretty young, that would probably contribute as to why I don't ache.

~Hope it helps. :)

I looked at the Si today.  the seat looks like an English saddle!   When you have it tilted, do you untilt it to get up?

No I do not

I just swing it around and step off or most times just step over it. Once the tilt is set I do not fiddle with it-it is a bit like a saddle and takes some getting used to.I'm a tall person with long legs and my wheel has the brent booties which raise it up a few inches as well

The thing with this seat is it has the best low back support-wish I had it in the 70's.

I have had mine a long time now and would not go back to another seat.

I bought a second one second hand from a woman in New England who could not get used to it-she shipped it to me .

I have one for my stone ware wheel and one for Porcelain-

Mark

Neil,

You may be right. I get crotchety when I'm uncomfortable throwing and for that reason I flat out don't like the Bailey. To be more specific, it is uncomfortable compared to my Clay Boss, all three of my Brents (including my kick/electric), the Pacifica, and the Soldner.

Also, I'm not using a TS. I'm using a Bailey knock off of the TS. They just look the same in pictures.

Joel.

I just watched Neil's video on the 12" club.  He can sit with his butt level with the wheel head and have his thighs horizontal and at a height that allows him to have that super stability with his forearms solid on his thighs.    If I sit with my thighs/knees that far above the wheel, with my long body, I have to fold over at the hip and/or back bent way too much for comfort to get my elbows on my thighs and reach the wheel.

Bigger pieces put what I'm working on closer to me and that helps.

I just watched Neil's video on the 12" club.  He can sit with his butt level with the wheel head and have his thighs horizontal and at a height that allows him to have that super stability with his forearms solid on his thighs.    If I sit with my thighs/knees that far above the wheel, with my long body, I have to fold over at the hip and/or back bent way too much for comfort to get my elbows on my thighs and reach the wheel.

Bigger pieces put what I'm working on closer to me and that helps.

You're the first person to mention my butt in a post. It's about time. :D 

My chair is a regular old wooden 'Windsor' style cheap thing from Target. It's just the right height for me. Chair seats typically angle back slightly, so I put rubber chair feet on the back legs to tilt it forward, and I sit at the very edge of the seat. I prefer it to a stool because I can sit against the chair back when I need a rest, or I'm talking with my students during a demo.

Guest JBaymore

The ST-1 "saddle" is the best commercial seat availabe on the market for helping to prevent reprtitive stress injuries to the back.  It is greatly adjustable... and you can also modify it yourself to fit your own needs.  It allows the pelvis structure to tip toward the wheel, thereby helping you to maintain the curvature in the lower spine instead of rounding the lower back off and stressing the lumbar area disks so much.

Note that many old wood frame kick wheels with built with a forward tilted seat.  There was a reason.

Nothing is perfect in preventing repetitive stress problems (except not doing such repetitive things).......... so every little bit helps.

best,

.......................john

The Brents where I take a class have a large pan that I don't like.  My class boss at home has a smaller pan so I can get closer to the wheel head.  I throw much better on the clay boss.  When I am at class I use a special batt I made.  It is two batts that have been glued together.  This small extra height seems to make a huge difference.  You could try this, very cheap.

If your back hurts, no chair will fix it. Get professional help. Period.

I had back problems from lifting heavy stuff. I was seriously hurting. I went to see a highly recommended chiropractor. Only 2 visits and then, few months later, a third one for a check-up. Adios back pain. Seriously.

I am not overweight and have no gut hanging over me belt. If you have those problems too, just stop stuffing your face with all that junk. Seriously (again).

Archived