Photo

What Do You Do With Your Pottery 'seconds'?

pottery seconds sell market faults business quality products

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hey there-this underwater looks like it was taken off Montery-do you have any onfo on that?? You can tell its off Cal-coast by the hydro corals which have a narrow range.

mark

Mark...

The photo is from a marine photographer named Kawika Chetron. Northern California- near Eureka. Really sad story- Kawika disapeared on a dive a few years back.

I'm currently working towards getting into cold water diving. All my dives have been in Hawaii and Borneo and places like that... yet I'm an avid B.C. sea kayaker with a father on the Olympic Peninsula. Everything I've heard suggests that the diving in those areas is incredible...

Edit... Carmel Bay... not Eureka...

Not all who wander are lost

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

(The photo is from a marine photographer named Kawika Chetron. Northern California- near Eureka. Really sad story- Kawika disapeared on a dive a few years back.)

I know the story well as I cleaned his boat after his death  before his parents  took it away .My diver friend did the dive looking for him at his anchored boat off a coast guard cutter when they found the boat.My dive friends told him not to go alone to that spot. I live and dive where this all took place near Eureka and have been cold water diving since a boy.

I reconized the place of the ling as I have shot many a roll underwater in Carmel Bay off my boat.

small world you know.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

(The photo is from a marine photographer named Kawika Chetron. Northern California- near Eureka. Really sad story- Kawika disapeared on a dive a few years back.)

I know the story well as I cleaned his boat after his death  before his parents  took it away .My diver friend did the dive looking for him at his anchored boat off a coast guard cutter when they found the boat.My dive friends told him not to go alone to that spot. I live and dive where this all took place near Eureka and have been cold water diving since a boy.

I reconized the place of the ling as I have shot many a roll underwater in Carmel Bay off my boat.

small world you know.

Mark

Yeah no kidding- small world. I'd definitely love to dive that area once I've completed the plunge into dry suit work.

Anyhow, I'm a long time admirer of the guy's photography (I've never seen better photos of harbor seals, among other things), and was really shaken to hear about his loss.

Not all who wander are lost

#24 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Dry suit is a must have  to be comfortable-I own several.

Idaho is a ways from the sea. I do art show in Anacortes Wa. 1st weekend in August then dive Keystone underwater park for a few days afterward taking underwater photos. Been doing this there for over 20 years now. Its a good mix- clay and dive.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#25 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'd love to go diving someday, especially around some ruins or ship wrecks.

Have either of you seen those recent pics of those free divers?  Pretty awesome:

http://www.redesignr...ninsula-mexico/

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#26 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hi

Many thanks to the people who answered on topic......seems the consensus is 'Smash more, salvage less!'

Okay......the hammer is out!!

Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#27 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Hi

Found this while looking through old threads on the site: http://ceramicartsda...t-july-24-2012/

...............many relevant answers there, same theme........'Smash lots, Love few'.

Getting the message!

Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#28 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I had had a friend who was an artist (painter), who would make some drawings and would throw it away if he didn't like them. 

I'd pick up the ones I'd like and keep them. They look really good in an appropriate frame. 

But when it comes to the pottery, I hate it when I keep something that I do not like. I think of seconds like of a contamination of the environment. 

... If only I could come to one of my coworker's home and brake what she took from my garbage can into small pieces! 

#29 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have some of my older work, that some of my family members have.  I've been formulating a plan, to swap them out, for some of my more recent things, and destroy the others.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#30 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

My day job pays for my clay habit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg area, PA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't mean the really horrible 'seconds' which deserve a new life as mosaic .....but those with a small fault that are still functional but not 'good enough' for the regular outlets where high quality and reputation are essential to good business.

Talking faults like.......small 'S' crack under the foot ring, pin hole that won't heal in refire, post fire warp, glaze not the 'right' colour, pre-loved experiments....etc

Aw, heck. I just use them myself. I can never have enough bowls and plates in my house, because I hate doing dishes.

#31 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

there is a wonderful potter in florida,  Ira Burhan, whose seconds and thirds have become the borders of his garden.  the shards became insets in the concrete stepping stones in the many paths.  i am going to try to post a couple of pictures of how he does this.  i am lucky enough to have one of his mugs.

AGAIN IT says the file is too big even though i took it down to 47 whatever the h...

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#32 JustaWhittle

JustaWhittle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:37 AM

I don't mean the really horrible 'seconds' which deserve a new life as mosaic .....but those with a small fault that are still functional but not 'good enough' for the regular outlets where high quality and reputation are essential to good business.

Talking faults like.......small 'S' crack under the foot ring, pin hole that won't heal in refire, post fire warp, glaze not the 'right' colour, pre-loved experiments....etc

Aw, heck. I just use them myself. I can never have enough bowls and plates in my house, because I hate doing dishes.

LOL as long as they are structurally sound I do the same!  We have 4 children (and one on the way) in our house so things are constantly being broken or overly used.  If it something we can't use then it is garbage.

#33 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

I noticed today thinking about this question,  that I really smash wet pots that are not up to my standards and reuse the clay. I do that far more often than I have seconds.

Marcia

#34 Laurarose

Laurarose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

there is a wonderful potter in florida,  Ira Burhan, whose seconds and thirds have become the borders of his garden.  the shards became insets in the concrete stepping stones in the many paths.  i am going to try to post a couple of pictures of how he does this.  i am lucky enough to have one of his mugs.

AGAIN IT says the file is too big even though i took it down to 47 whatever the h...

I would really love to see pictures of how he uses the pottery in the garden.  Sounds like a cool idea.

#35 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I just put Mark Cortright's name on them and sell them.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#36 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

I just put Mark Cortright's name on them and sell them.

Jim

HAHAHAHHHAHHHAAAAAHHHAAA!!!  using a grand piano as your display, no doubt!

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#37 ~howdy~

~howdy~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

I send the items (mostly bowls, covered dishes, casseroles, and platters) that do not measure up to my standards to a friend who runs a plant nursery.  There they make planters out of them - usually covering up any flaws I found, and the plants become the main focus. I barter the pots for plants so we both win.  

I find there are people who appreciate different things in every pot and have been surprised how some pots I just was disappointed in are admired by others.  When the pot is no longer the element of attention but in partnership with other materials/plants it is a good symbiotic unit.  If I don't feel a flawed pot is good enough for turning into a planter I use it for target practice at the gun range.  

#38 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have just tiled a birdhouse my husband made, putting shards around the art cottage door (a work in progress) and now we are going to tile my upstairs bathroom with my mistakes. I am only doing this for 3 years, so I have a LOT of mistakes. I played with color yesterday, so today another 10 pieces are headed to the tile pile!!

Oh, and I tried to donate them to an artist who is doing a town mosaic, but she only accepts cone 10 or higher. I asked why, and she said she wants the mosaic to be around 100 years from now. I thought cone 6 was pretty tough, but she doesn't think it is tough enough. ???

Nancy

Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#39 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

cone 6 is totally tough enough....don't be offended, I have people trying to give me stuff all the time, if i took everything I would be like one of the hoarder people on t.v and my friends and family would be having an intervention. actually maybe i am one of those people eckkkkk! T

#40 MikeFaul

MikeFaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHerndon, Virginia

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

Everyone is so creative, I just take my seconds out for a lil plinking...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pottery, seconds, sell, market, faults, business, quality, products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users