Impulse Buy. Digital Microscope

Guest JBaymore

I've had one a long while.  Terrifying the defects in what you thought were smooth surfaces, huh?  ;)

best,

..................john

Nice shots.

Yes, very helpful for a sanity check and better than reading glasses!   I posted some pics taken with mine in a thread on bubble formation on this forum some weeks ago.  The main takeaway for me is those shots was that industry also has bubble problems, just smaller and less of them, but when you look through the digital microscope you will see they are definitely there. 

I would love to know what the circle thing is in the first picture. The second glaze you can't see any bubble at all just looking at it. It is so good to see things this close up and how the surfaces are built up. 

I bought it to see the difference in surface quality between my semi-matt glaze and glossy. It so good to see the vitrified glass vs the crystallized surface. The glaze on the semi-matt pot is too thin really but the only mug I have at home with it.

Yeah, I did one of those a few weeks ago, for a stencil cutter "Impulse buys", but not cheap. Still learning how to use it. My wife just says. . . Boys and their toys! :rolleyes:

Notice how they never say that when you go and fix everything that breaks around the house with all our "toys"? 

I was checking out dinner ware at the mall the other night with my phone, shining a flashlight on the surface. Tons of microdimples. Even on the expensive brands. Kinda crazy, industry having those surfaces.

Great pictures, if I bought a digital microscope it would end up in my husbands shop.  I encourage my husband to buy tools, he is one of those people that can fix almost anything.  Good tools can make the job easier,  a couple of years ago when we bought a new compressor I insisted he upgrade to a more commercial type.  The light bulb went off in my brain when we doing some demolition, it was a 100 year old well built house.  As we struggled with it my husband said it would go a lot easier if we had a recipercating saw.  He said we didn't own one because it cost  80$, I told him to go buy one the cost didn't matter.  We breezed through the project after getting the saw, what a difference it made.    Denice

Most of the shots are from the bottom left of this test tile, some strange surfaces to start with. It's so strange how the green looking 'stuff' turn into those whiteish crystals. It starts 3rd up 2nd from left and zooms in on 3rd up 1st on the left. It then zooms out the one underneath I think because I had to fudge some footage together.

1559744_454094574768102_4924970215501689

It felt very dimensional shift / spacey so it was the first music that came to mind.

It is really cool, I couldn't help but speak out in awe when first looking at the stuff :D If only I could work out what the crystals are, what kind of crystals do I have, what kind of glass is it?? Looks like the texture helps seed crystals.

These are high in whiting so I guess a calcium something. If I remember correct it is only Kaolin, soda feldspar, whiting, a little cobalt carb and rutile.

I love the video and the music! :D  And the quality of the shots is great as well.  Would love to know how to get a YouTube video put up, was it hard? I have a couple short things I would like to show but cannot figure out how to do it.

I think that much of the variation (including the crystals) you are seeing has to do with the clay body underneath your glaze.  An interesting way to look at this if you have the chemical/oxide analysis of your clay body (should be available from your supplier if you don't have it) would be to treat the clay body as another glaze material and examine the combination of the two.   This should help you zero in on what the clay/glaze interface zone might look like chemically. 

Since you have Insight, enter the clay oxide analysis like a glaze, and then combine it with your glaze analysis to make a third material.  Examine this new third material to see what oxides are prominent. This will probably give you some idea of what is going on where glaze is thin, and or clay body is poking through.  No doubt you will find some striking chemical resemblance between this new material and certain cells in Currie tiles.... ;)

I posted a reply but it seems to have been lost. :(

Youtube videos are simple to post. Copy the url from the address bar, don't use the share options under the video. Paste the url into your post and the forum will do the rest. It will look like an url until you press post. Had a reread of your post and do you mean uploading to youtube? That also is not too complicated.

I have really neglected my clay body research but there is so much to learn. It has really been the least of my problems. You make some good points and I will follow them up. Good idea to analyse the body as a glaze and see how it is affecting the glaze/body barrier.

My supplier is an old college tutor who give me all his reclaim. Cant say how near it is to the 'out of the bag' but it must be close. Will have to track down some figures for it.

Thanks for that YouTube tutorial!  I will give it a try.  At this point just worried about bringing from YouTube to these forums, but may eventually try to upload my own stuff, so thanks.

Also interesting that you posted a reply that got lost.  I had the same thing happen a few days ago, in fact when posting a reply on this very thread.   Also lost a couple of other replies on other threads which seemed like they submitted fine at the time but just never appeared later.   I thought it was a problem at my end, but now looking like a forums issue?  Anyone else having this problem?

As a big reclaimer myself I understand the problem of, ahem, "provenance".  However, no matter how much I abuse my reclaim through multiple recyclings, it always looks and behaves pretty much like the brand new out of the bag stuff (except for iron coloring in reduction :rolleyes: ).   

Also interesting that you posted a reply that got lost.  I had the same thing happen a few days ago, in fact when posting a reply on this very thread.   Also lost a couple of other replies on other threads which seemed like they submitted fine at the time but just never appeared later.   I thought it was a problem at my end, but now looking like a forums issue?  Anyone else having this problem?

The forum migrated to a new server and, yes, some posts fell into the ether abyss during the process -- those posted between 6/30 and 7/1.

It is a shame because I forget what I posted :( oh well.

I have noticed that some of my recycle have bisqued to a slightly red hue when a little terracotta got put in the reclaim. It was not too much so I think it will just be a colour issue. Out of say 100kg it was probably 3-5kg terracotta.

Rang work and they don't have many shifts so I can get in the studio now I am back from holiday :D Feeling refreshed and inspired to make more glaze. First on the list is to produce a finished glaze so I can start making work again. Been holding back while I have been developing different melts.

It felt very dimensional shift / spacey so it was the first music that came to mind.

It is really cool, I couldn't help but speak out in awe when first looking at the stuff :D If only I could work out what the crystals are, what kind of crystals do I have, what kind of glass is it?? Looks like the texture helps seed crystals.

These are high in whiting so I guess a calcium something. If I remember correct it is only Kaolin, soda feldspar, whiting, a little cobalt carb and rutile.

I think your crystals are from the rutile. ( this was a lost post ) do more tests, isolating ingredients to confirm.

Archived