Round Measuring Tool?

I saw a measuring tool on a video, but I don't know what it's called and I can't find the video again!  It's round, plastic, maybe 12" diameter, and has measurements all around so you can mark sections evenly around on a bowl.  I want to do some majolica and this tool would make it so much easier to mark off 6ths or 8ths evenly.  Does anybody know what I should search for online?  I've tried everything I can think of, with no luck! Thank you.

Graphic designers usually have the software to print out paper with lines radiating from a central point that divide a circle into fifths or sevenths or whatever. 380° is divided by the number of divisions,  and a line is rotated by that number of degrees.  I think you could get fairly even divisions with a plastic protractor.

you know how to swing a pencil on a string around a central pin to make a circle, an oval is made with 2 pins and a string. 

or, a lid to a commercially made oval casserole dish can be used.  if you have access to a copying machine, cut a paper you have folded twice and open it out.  copy at various sizes.

I have been trying for months to find a simple way to make oval templates of various sizes. Any idea?

Hi Chantay

I make the calculators and template generators on the site mentioned above, and noticed the link from this thread.

There's an oval mark out calculator on the site, using the pencil, chord and 2 pins method, but seeing your post, I'll add full scale printable oval template generator. (in the next few days)

It will have slider controls so you can adjust oval size and shape to suit, and print it out at full scale.

If there are any other calculators, templates or other things that would be handy for your ceramic art, please let me know.

Blocklayer,

Wow!!

Thank you so much. I have been using the slow string method. I use the oval templates when making bonsai pots. I will also print out several other things from your site.

The pipe cutting templer could be used for presicion tea pot making.

Thanks again.

I've just put up a preliminary version of the Full Scale Oval Template Generator on the site.

On the home page, choose the 'Printable Templates' tab, then under 'Oval Templates' hit the 'Imperial' tab for the feet and inches version. (I'm Australian - we use Metric)

Drag the sliders to adjust the size, un-check the 'Color' box and print at 100% printer scale. (landscape)

Hope you find it useful for your ceramic art, and thanks for any suggestions to improve it. (or suggestions for other tools you may need)

Archived