Custar shortage and Kemper tool update

Mark C.

As a Laguna distributor and with lots of  full timer Potter friends I hear things.

Right now custard feldspar due to supply issues is now at 200#s per customer (including me) with Laguna clay

I'm in the ordering mode this week  so I found out about the 200# limit per customer on Custar

.There are rumors  Custar may be going aways but they are just rumors at this point.So thats a heads up. If I where able to by a lifetime supply  right now I would .Just saying

The other news is Kemper tools may not be around for long as the owners are selling the property they have been on for many decades in fact at least since 1947

Now someone could set up and buy the equipment and supplies and move the business but I would not hold my breath on this. The tool business has been defuzed in the past 20 years with so many other tool makes as well. So I ordered what kemper tools i like and there are only a few like the pro needle tool thinking its my last kemper order. So if  you use kemper tools just beaware they may go away soon or not if its bought up.

Well sorry to have such bad news but thats what I have heard all in the past few days after being away on a long trip and just returned.

Edited by Mark C.

I’m more worried about the price of lithium (and anything with li in it, spod petalite etc). Custer is easily changed. Yes, lithium is too but it’s just not the same imo. I luckily bought 50lbs of it and looking at what I paid makes me laugh…which should last awhile but curious to those out there what they plan on doing regarding it. I think it’s safe to say the price is never coming down…so just not use it anymore? 

yup. Just don't use it anymore.  The Ceramic Arts Network folks really need to update their glaze recipes in their freebie glaze pdfs to reflect what is affordably available, or available at all.

ALL our materials are non renewable resources.  Reclaiming clay is responsible, not a waste of time.  its a waste of something that took millions of years to develop not to.

Take a leaf from history.  How many things relied on in the past have we already lost?  Its only going to keep happening.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, Mark C. said:

As a Laguna distributor and with lots of  full timer Potter friends I hear things.

Right now custard feldspar due to supply issues is now at 200#s per customer (including me) with Laguna clay

I'm in the ordering mode this week  so I found out about the 200# limit per customer on Custar

.There are rumors  Custar may be going aways but they are just rumors at this point.So thats a heads up. If I where able to by a lifetime supply  right now I would .Just saying

The other news is Kemper tools may not be around for long as the owners are selling the property they have been on for many decades in fact at least since 1947

Now someone could set up and buy the equipment and supplies and move the business but I would not hold my breath on this. The tool business has been defuzed in the past 20 years with so many other tool makes as well. So I ordered what kemper tools i like and there are only a few like the pro needle tool thinking its my last kemper order. So if  you use kemper tools just beaware they may go away soon or not if its bought up.

Well sorry to have such bad news but thats what I have heard all in the past few days after being away on a long trip and just returned.

So, Mark,  if you really need it, how about others ordering it and having it drop-shipped to your studio?

Good idea but Its taken care of.

I bought in 1983 3,000 pounds of Kingman feldspar in Kingman Az when it was going off market for for $300. in 100# bags. That lasted me until two months ago so potash feldspar has never been an issue for me . I still used some custar over that time as well. (I think I have a 50 # bag somewhere as well of Kingman with the az state map on it)

I had 4 bags of custar last week and bought out my local suppliers 5 bags so now have 450# of it and this next week I'm  heading south for a family gathering and will pick up at least 200#s from another supplier on way south  to Santa Barbara and My fall clay order of 3 tons of Pocrelain has another #200s of custar on the truck from Laguna and shows up Tuesday so I'll have #850 enough for my remaining days as a potter. Thanks for the idea but I covered my self on this one. Heck I may start selling grestly borate as I have a lifetime supply as well

per Standard Clay

Due to the suspension of operations at the Pacer mine and plant, we will no longer carry custer feldspar for the foreseeable future. By the end of this year we hope to carry G200 EU as a replacement mineral made available for resale in limited quanities. For technical assistance and consultation regarding the absence of custer feldspar, we ask that you contact Jeff Zamek.

Huh? Whut?

hmmm, reading through that message, a few words jump off the page:  suspending all operations... administrative agencies... violate regulatory requirements... As Pacer retools... Counsel for Pacer...

Sounds like some serious patootie went down there... Does anybody have any insight from scuttlebutt or rumor?

Edit: I just read a comment elsewhere that linked to a contemporaneous local news article that nearly all the operations employees were laid off with no notice or severance while management contemplates the future direction of the company. A few employees were retained (at the time) to winterize the equipment. No reasons were given for the shutdown.

Edited by Dick White
spelling, added new information