QotW: What are your non Ceramic plans for the Summer

We have recently booked a trip to Utah coming in September, which I still consider Summer now that I am retired. Made me wonder what other folks plans are for the Summer months that do not involve ceramics.

QotW: What are your non Ceramic plans for the Summer, please explain, dates are discouraged:wacko:.

best,

Pres

Staying home this summer,   I have a new dog that is a year old and needs more training.   My sister is coming from August,   I don't know why anyone would visit Kansas in August.  HOT HOT HOT.   We are planning a vacation in November and December.   My son and his wife are moving to Costa Rica in August,   we won't have  family  for the holidays.   Taking a long holiday trip sounds better than sitting  around the pouting because we don't have a family.   Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner at a IHOP in Galvenston,  the only restaurant we could find open.   Denice

Staying home as well, having just wound up prepping our last home for sale, the sale, winnowing the stuff, packing, moving, shopping for a new (to us) home, moving in, unpacking - we're now at home again!

Our son's home is now just ten miles away, much more convenient for ongoing renovations. That will be a big part of non-ceramic plans this Summer.
We just finished "pest work" around and below the chimney - there had been leaking and resultant rot. Now we have a better idea how chimneys should be flashed, also how to shingle, how to install roofing felt...
:|
Next is re-siding the area below, then some framing, drywall and painting to wind up last year's bathrooms remodel, then on to the great room and kitchen remodel...

There are a few projects at our new (to us) home that can't wait very long: refinishing the front door, installing water treatment/filtration, and re-sorting the irrigation system.

Also ongoing, rehabilitation of an injury, and recovery from last week's bout with the dreaded Covid.

Excepting some recent sessions at the wheel, I haven't been in the Studio "doing" ceramics since October last.
I want to have an inventory of green ware ready when the new kiln arrives!
Wiring for the new kiln, adding a circuit for the Studio space (heat pump), sorting the space, installing a wall, door, lighting, shelving ...is all on the docket as well.

Been traveling in our new camper awd van to remote places out west-in last two months spent 15 nights out in the boonies. Hiking -incrediable  flower blooms after super wet weather. Lots of butterflies -rattle snake, some caving

Tuna fishing season is coming up as well.

Edited by Mark C.

Wow @Hulk Lots of home projects for sure!  My husband and mom have had some recent health issues but those are getting sorted out now.  Our camping plans have been delayed so that is probably what we will be doing in July and August as well as going to NM to see kids.  We only have an outdoor pool in town for swimming so I am enjoying swimming laps as much as I can.  I am also leaving in a few days to go to a workshop at Idyllwild Arts.  The presenter will be Ruth Easterbrook.  It should be fun.  They have a great facility there.  Ooops, that is sort of a ceramic plan, isn't it!?  

Roberta

Oh you’ve really challenged us here Preston. Now I’ve got to think of all the things I ought to be doing this summer, instead of all the clay work I could be doing now that school’s out. Thank you for bringing balance to The Force.

Recent events have made me want to visit and reconnect with family, so far away. My son and I will be heading to Louisiana for a bit to do that. Then there is camping in the Alaskan wilderness. To her credit, my partner will not let me avoid it. I live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, thankfully she prods me out of the studio enough to remember it.

As always, the summer will fly by and I’ll do half the things I hope to (fix the broken parts of my house), it will be amazing, and I wouldn’t change a thing. 

This Summer, I also have to finish setting up the library, repair siding outside of the library on the second floor over porch roof, clean the driveway area of winter debris and power wash the deck and the fence. Make repairs to the fence, and try to organize what isn't ceramic in the shop/garage.

@Mark C.don't mention snakes, as I had enough encounters with them when in Warner Robbins, GA and in northern PA. Coral snakes, Moccasins, and coral snakes are not to be messed with only respected with healthy distance.

@Kelly in AK, I agree with you, AK is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and needs to be seen. I have been there three times. Once drove a motor home with my Dad, Mom and Wife up. Left day after I finished teaching, and returned the day before she started. Great trip!! Other times have been cruises that really are nice, but dont get the job done!

best,

Pres

Big plan for this summer is to get my partner fit and well and back out doing stuff after 18  months of surgery/partial recovery/surgery/partial recovery/surgery.

I'm going for a week's "summer school" with the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers - There will be with 300 people spread over 18 different courses.  I will be dyeing with natural dyes.  We will be staying at an agricultural university in Shropshire.

The rest will be filled with hiding from the sun - sun rash is really irriting - in all senses, gardening, spinning, weaving, dyeing and volunteering.  Oh, and some pottery.

I decided a couple of days ago it is time to get started on rejuvenating  our house.   The carpet in the office is worn out and the misc. furniture is old and was old when we bought it  We spent the last two days looking for real wood flooring to match the wood in the rest of the house.   No more carpet,   we think we found it today now all we have to do is get the samples.  The rest of the carpeted areas will get new floor and paint this fall.  I have to shop now for office furniture and a sofa,  our old furniture will be donated.   Denice

I haven't taken a vacation since before the pandemic and I'm not up for flying anywhere. What I do is travel by myself or w/a friend, on day trips where there's not tons of people. I may go to the ocean along NH or ME, for a couple of days, off season.

This summer, my primary plan is to use the time to accomplish two things.  One, I will sell an entire room-full of good quality "yard sale" type items. That is actually a lot of work, as it all goes online-not allowed to hold sales where I live.  Two, I will streamline my studio .  There's a good bit of materials, tools, supplies, equipment, the wheel, etc. that I will sell (will just do handbuilding).  I am  freeing up space so I can get back to painting/other media--so that counts as non-ceramics LOL. 

Edited by LeeU

Hoping to renovate the bath/shower in our main bathroom. I really want to be rid of some ugly tile and 1970s blue bathtub! Depends on how much I can bring in from the farmer’s market though.

Other than that, I think we’ll spend a week camping out in BC at a spot we know and love to go to every year.  Other than that, I think we’re just going to lay low a bit. We’ve had a crazy spring with family events and husband’s work travel. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Pres  You may get a kick out of this. By focussing on my non-ceramic plans for the summer (thin-to-none) I was poked and prodded by my Self to confront what the heck I am doing/not doing in Clay Life. It dawned on me that by freeing up some space and gaining extra spendoolies I'll end having a studio that's more conduceive to where my head's at. So I did some projections and serious thinking and (overdue) ordered some new fresh glazes and some new fresh clay. I'll still intersperse day trips to the river with my stayclaycation:rolleyes:

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

I was too busy DOING my non-ceramic plans this past summer to see this.  I spent the entire summer in my garden or babysitting my grandson after his babysitter quit - often both simultaneously.  My grandson loved it when we went to my house to do "water for the plants".

The first time I took him with me he played for awhile and then suddenly sat down and started crying.  What is wrong I asked.  "No grass" he said.

True, it was all plants, trellises, walkways, and mulch.

My favorite scene with him was when I pointed out some bottle gourd to him.  He was fascinated.  He sat down under the trellis-tunnel and kept pointing at bottle gourds saying "I got bottle gourd.  COOK bottle gourd!"

I still have peas out there but most everything else has died, except the fennel.