Anyone Have A Really Old Creative Industries Model Mp Wheel?

This thread has been around for awhile and I'd like to add my 3 cents...

I got my CI-MP wheel from a friend who found it in a barn on a property he had just purchased and, knowing that I had just gotten into pottery making, offered to "loan" it to me on what turned out to be permanent basis. It was a mess, covered in dirt and spider webs (with a few Black Widows thrown in), but it ran, so I cleaned it up. That was about 8 years ago. When I got it there was no splash pan and he said there wasn't any other parts in the barn. Sooo, being mechanically adept, I designed and fabricated my own pan using the bottom of a plastic trash can. Since the wheel base was designed to get wet (it has a drain hole and plug), I made a device that would serve the purpose. Here is a picture of the pan installed. You can go to my gallery and see additional pix in the album.

Last year I got a Giffen Grip and made a riser out of another trash bucket, using the top this time. 

For those interested, I can provide additional info and answer any questions regarding the fabrication.

JohnnyK

234769077_CIwheel3withPan2sm.jpg.f704b68965b7b1e1ef3967f5313f4095.jpg

JohnnyK,

Looks great, the old splash pans were pretty weak, your solutions look quite good. I bought two of the CI's back in the day for the HS using district funding. They were cheaper at that time, and were pretty good. They are still running also! I hardly ever demoed on the MP, only on the HP. Most of the time my centering style would make the MP groan, or worse yet, stop. I probably would get along better with it today. However, my CXC is still kicking. I still have a fond spot for the large work table and the decent torque of the HP.

best,

Pres

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2012 at 11:24 AM, CATCHA said:

Hello, I ran across this when tying to research the wheel that I have recently obtained. Its a Creative Industries MP model. I have what appears to be, all of the original information/literature that must have come with it when it was new.

I have the following:

* A folding 2 page booklet with a photo of a bearded man on the front sitting in front of, and using, the pottery wheel. Above his photo it says Creative industries, variable speed electric potters wheel.

Inside there are descriptions of the product, more photos of various bearded men, throwing on the wheel, etc along with information such as , Function, Convenience O Structure, individual adaptability of the wheel, info on the build of the wheel, and on the build and strength of the motor, info on all of the models that were offered, options, Information on the warranty info, Information on the head torque and strength of each model, horsepower of each model, as well as the amount of weight that each model can center, etc... This pamphlet has 3 pages of information.

*A 2 page pamphlet titled: Owners Manual for Creative Industries Model HP and MP Wheels. This contains 2 printed pages w/out photos. With paragraphs on Motor, Control Box, Foot petal, Grounded Power Source Very Heavy Loads, Belts, Bearing Service, and Motor Brushes.

* one half page size Page with a diagram of the wheel. this is tittles Install Splash Guard As Shown Below.

*One half page size page with a diagram of the Wheel Head. Titled: Glide Installation and Wheel Head Adjustment

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of any or all of these just let me know....

Take care..

Hello. I would be very interested in having a copy and I'd gladly pay you. Could we talk about this via email? I'm new to this website so I'm not quite sure how to exchange messages. My email is hstohl@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from you, thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2010 at 1:22 PM, Donn said:

I have one but of course I still use it and want to keep the manual. But I understand how nice it is to have a manual. I could scan it and mail it to you if you cannot find another. It would take me a while to find mine and scan and mail. but let me know if you don't find one soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I was recently given a Creative Industries Model MP but there aren't any instructions or anything offering information about how to use it, etc, and I was wondering if there is any way I can get into contact with you about obtaining a copy of your information? I'm not sure how to use this site and I know all these comments are probably very old, but if anyone with information to offer me sees this, please contact me on here or I guess maybe through my email: worldwonders103@gmail.com  ~THANK YOU!

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, LouiseM said:

Foot pedal on older model Clay Boss wheel made by Creative Industries

Can you advise / help? I have the older (22 yrs) Clay Boss wheel and the foot pedal just suddenly wont slow down. I have opened it up but I cannot see what to repair.

Thanks.

Post a photo  of the inside so folks cans see what is there

On 4/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, Genna said:

Hello I was recently given a Creative Industries Model MP but there aren't any instructions or anything offering information about how to use it, etc, and I was wondering if there is any way I can get into contact with you about obtaining a copy of your information? I'm not sure how to use this site and I know all these comments are probably very old, but if anyone with information to offer me sees this, please contact me on here or I guess maybe through my email: worldwonders103@gmail.com  ~THANK YOU!

Welcome to the forum, Genna...please refer to my March 27th post above for the info you are looking for...

• 5 months later...

Hello! I just purchased (for a very cheap price) a second hand CI Model MP that had somehow made it all the way over here to Taiwan. I think it hasn’t been used in a very long time but it still runs well, with a sturdy wheelhead (no wobbles at all) and smooth speed change using the foot pedal. However, it’s quite noisy. Is that typical? I think it needs a bearing and/or belt change, but wondering if these wheels are typically noisy outside of that.

Hi Kate...Welcome to the forum. Noisy is a relative term. Noisy with relation to what? Is it a noticeable whirring noise or does it howl like a loose fan belt on a car...or somewhere in between? There's a good possibility that it could be a loose fan belt in which case you can tighten it by moving the motor away from the centerline of the unit. If it's more of a grinding type noise, then it could be a bearing. It's been a while since I've had the undercarriage housing off and I don't remember the configuration, so I can't say how hard or easy bearing replacement would be. IMO anything that runs with a belt is going to generate a certain amount of noise...it's just a matter of what you consider noisy and whether or not you can live with it...BTW, Kate, did the wheel come with any kind of splash pan? If not, I can give you an idea of how I made mine. Just look earlier in this thread to get an idea of what I've done.

Edited by JohnnyK

30 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Hi Kate...Welcome to the forum. Noisy is a relative term. Noisy with relation to what? Is it a noticeable whirring noise or does it howl like a loose fan belt on a car...or somewhere in between? There's a good possibility that it could be a loose fan belt in which case you can tighten it by moving the motor away from the centerline of the unit. If it's more of a grinding type noise, then it could be a bearing. It's been a while since I've had the undercarriage housing off and I don't remember the configuration, so I can't say how hard or easy bearing replacement would be. IMO anything that runs with a belt is going to generate a certain amount of noise...it's just a matter of what you consider noisy and whether or not you can live with it...BTW, Kate, did the wheel come with any kind of splash pan? If not, I can give you an idea of how I made mine. Just look earlier in this thread to get an idea of what I've done.

Thanks so much for the kind welcome, Johnny! I’m happy to be here and find some info on my new old wheel. It actually comes with the original splash pan, which seems to be quite rare? I think I got lucky with that. Other parts also seem to be original and in good condition. I just picked the wheel up today and I’ve yet to take everything apart. The sound is more like a grinding so I think it could be the bearings, though the wheel head is very solid and doesn’t wobble at all,  so... Hopefully when I take it apart tomorrow I can share more details about what might be wrong. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on this thread. Expect (probably lots) more questions from this newbie restorer!

I ordered two CI wheels a few years after they came out. Price was good and we purchased the HP and the MP. I never got into the MP so much, but it was a good wheel for the students or for folks working on smaller pieces. The HP at the time was a beast to me, handling anything that I threw at it. I could never torque stop it, unlike the MP. It was always my go to wheel when demonstrating. Both of the wheels are still running today, and I still like working on the HP as compared to the great Bailey wheels in the room. I would believe that the belts may be replacing, and that some lubrication will be needed also, but that you should get many years out of the wheel.

best,

Pres

9 hours ago, Pres said:

I ordered two CI wheels a few years after they came out. Price was good and we purchased the HP and the MP. I never got into the MP so much, but it was a good wheel for the students or for folks working on smaller pieces. The HP at the time was a beast to me, handling anything that I threw at it. I could never torque stop it, unlike the MP. It was always my go to wheel when demonstrating. Both of the wheels are still running today, and I still like working on the HP as compared to the great Bailey wheels in the room. I would believe that the belts may be replacing, and that some lubrication will be needed also, but that you should get many years out of the wheel.

best,

Pres

This is really wonderful to read! I think the MP should do ok for me as I don’t throw really large pieces. Maybe 2-3 kg of clay would be the VERY max I’d ever use. I cannot stop the wheel with my own hands when it’s running slow, so I think the power should be good for me and my throwing style. We’re going to open up the undercarriage today and take a look inside. I’ll pay special attention to the belt and lubrication of various areas. There is a grinding sound when I turn the wheel head with my hands (motor turned off) so I suspect the bearings are shot, too. Easy enough to replace here in Taiwan, given the large number of mom and pop machinery fixer-upper stores and specialized hardware stores. (There are even entire stores completely dedicated to just own part, say different kinds of nuts and bolts, in almost every neighborhood, haha!)

• 3 weeks later...

I do have an old creative industries wheel  its the 1st ones made-super heavt duty long before the clay boss came along.-I found the perfect use for it next to my Brent wheel CXC throwing wheel

I was cleaning my shop after xmas in my year end shop cleanup and here it is

well some of it-turns out a potter i knew moved away and gave me this table-no motor or controller or wheel head but a really solid table top and stand. I usually have it 1/2 loaded with bats and its where I put my clay to throw for the session next to me.

The thing about the CR wheel  and its really an old 1st generation wheel is its been trouble free the whole time no adjustment needed and I cannot hurt it-its got adjustable feet as wheel so you can level it.

IMG_3756.jpeg.79ec56bcb89a3b6cd26e420713beea51.jpegIMG_3755.jpeg.b949ced8946b94a1158182775b9467e4.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Hulk said:

Hi Jamie,

Try a .pdf reader? If you are running windows, Sumatra is free, simple, easy

Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF (sumatrapdfreader.org)

I can read the file ok.

Likely you will be looking at disassembling the pedal and troubleshooting from there; good luck!

So I took the pedal apart.  adjusted the rheostat and it still wont stop.  wondering if it just needs a new rheostat??