Inflation is hitting hard now

I just placed a new order of supplies, and learned that the price of Gerstley Borate has gone through the roof. Last year it was $100 for a 50 lb sack. This year it is $250/50 lbs.  Always thought of GB as a “cheap” flux, but not anymore. My supplier said they have no information from Laguna that the supply is running low. Possible, but Laguna isn’t saying. 

I took the “Mark C. approach” and bought enough to last about 3 years. I figure in that time we will learn if the supply really is running out. And if so, I’ll hopefully have enough time to figure out a new liner glaze recipe. 

My supplier also said, “GB price is bad, but the prices of Lithium and Spodumene have quadrupled.” In those cases they have an explanation, which is that lithium is in high demand now that battery-powered cars/devices have become so popular. 

Buckle up, folks. 

GB is no longer mined. Several years ago Laguna purchased a whole bunch thought to be spoils. The mine has been closed for many years and in its hey day was used to encase underground nuclear tests. It’s never really been something mined for potters and I would expect the price will continue to rise.

Edited by Bill Kielb

24 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

GB is no longer mined. Several years ago Laguna purchased a whole bunch thought to be spoils. The mine has been closed for many years and in its hey day was used to encase underground nuclear tests. It’s never really been something mined for potters and I would expect the price will continue to rise.

Yes I know that Laguna purchased the remainders of the closed mine. But what they said at the time is “there is enough GB to last through the life spans of all current potters.” That’s why the price hike is confusing. It could just be greed, not shortage. 

4 hours ago, GEP said:

This year it is $250/50 lbs.

It's $516 / 22.68kg here, so a little over twice what you paid.

I've contacted Laguna twice in the past month asking about an analysis for a different material, still haven't heard back from them. Call me sceptical but I doubt they would disclose any info on the Gerstley Borate situation.

Edited by Min

It’s weird that Laguna is being transparent about Spodumene and Lithium, but not Gerstley Borate. If they really are running out, they shouldn’t mind letting others develop substitutes and workarounds. 

1 hour ago, GEP said:

It’s weird that Laguna is being transparent about Spodumene and Lithium, but not Gerstley Borate. If they really are running out, they shouldn’t mind letting others develop substitutes and workarounds. 

When GB was going extinct the first time I started using Boraq 2  from and it worked just fine for what I was after.  This was ? 2? decades ago?

https://digitalfire.com/recipe/p3998

https://digitalfire.com/material/boraq+2

https://digitalfire.com/material/boraq+3

5 hours ago, GEP said:

It’s weird that Laguna is being transparent about Spodumene and Lithium, but not Gerstley Borate.

It was the Spodumene Substitute that I emailed them twice about and didn't get a reply. My email was forwarded to a tech and that was the last I heard from them. I then contacted  Pottery Supply House in Ontario (same company as Euclids) and asked about their Spodumene Blend and they confirmed it was the Laguna Substitute product and quickly gave me the analysis which I posted in the thread above that Mark linked. Still haven't heard anything from Laguna.

We've been down this road before with Gerstley, lots of subs already developed, I think it's just a question of finding one and tweaking the chem to use one of the alternatives. Quick google search, Laguna Borate at Sheffields, $34- for 50 lb bag. Main differences are Laguna Borate has more boron, alumina and silica.

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 9.15.39 AM.png

Edited by Min
added a thought

Ferro frits 3134 and 3124 were designed as replacements for Gerstley Borate too. The drawback to using the frits are that you loose the trace amounts of  phosphorus, titanium and iron that add more visual interest. Which was the gripe 20 years ago: the substitutes were boring by themselves, and you couldn’t just swap 1:1.

Edited to add: the price of freight has been going through the roof for quite some time. I’d imagine that accounts for at least a portion of the price increase. Probably not all of it, but at least some.

Laguna is short staffed as are most places due to covid and they have yet to recover. Also there has been a turnover in the top positions as older folks retired out. Clay output has been tough and many bodies have just been in short supply -all clay makers at laest on west coast is this way now.In all my Laguna years (I swicthed to them in the middle 80s's from westwood clay bodies) its never been this bad. They grew and bought out westwood  and movds to that facility and then bought out the clay plant in Ohio (not sure what that name was Neil may know) then Axner in Florida-Stewarts in LA and Thoirley shevel manufacture as well. They are the gorilla in the clay field . I knew the old owner and his father (who retired near me before passing) I bought some of his stuff long ago as well. When I switched porcealin  bodies in the 80s I went down to meet them(the owners)  and see the plant as it was a big deal for me to switch -12 hour drive  each way. That was long ago but I have a long history with Laguna as well as being a distribiutor in more modern times. For many many decades I would  order  at least 12 tons to get the best price breaks(the 12 ton break was the best price)  before becoming a distributor . Part of my  overall success is keeping costs low as possiable on materials.. Today I noticed I'm down to 1 ton of clay and have not been this low in over 20 years. I have a 8 pallet order in now and they are making the extra soft clay but as noted eralier its a slower process these days. Trucking is now a huge issue for me as well. We live in the boonies and trucking has always been an issue. Now its worse.

Edited by Mark C.

5 hours ago, Min said:

There are lots of other materials that can supply the necessary boron for far less money. 

What would you recommend? My local supplier is also having some issues with Frit 3134. It’s marginally cheaper, but still not cheap. Right now, they keep a waiting list of everyone who wants it, and anytime they receive any, it’s sold out before it hits the shelves. They told me I can get on this waiting list too, if I want. Are there other options?

4 hours ago, GEP said:

What would you recommend? My local supplier is also having some issues with Frit 3134. It’s marginally cheaper, but still not cheap. Right now, they keep a waiting list of everyone who wants it, and anytime they receive any, it’s sold out before it hits the shelves. They told me I can get on this waiting list too, if I want. Are there other options?

This really depends on what else is in the recipe. 

I took a sample glaze, Lynette's Opal, this seems to be widely used for the past couple years and replaced the Gerstley Borate with 3 different materials that all could be used to supply the boron, Ferro Frit 3124, Laguna Borate and Ferro Frit 3134. Each of those contributes slightly different amounts of other materials than Gerstley Borate. What looks okay on glaze calc doesn't always translate to the bucket or glaze fire so testing would be required to see how they behave. I use Insight glaze calc but the same thing can be done for free using Glazy. 

I purposely used Ferro 3134 in one of the examples and Ferro 3124 in another, see what it did to the EPK amounts? Since Ferro 3124 supplies more alumina than Ferro 3134 I had to reduce the EPK in the former. Since the original had Gerstley and we know that contributes to glaze gelling the alternative recipes with frit will suspend less therefore some extra bentonite might be necessary with Ferro 3124 and Laguna Borate version. 

ScreenShot2023-04-11at4_14_05PM.png.4b1257e0fcd9cbe691a078ecb6bd81ea.png

Edited by Min
clarity

Re bucket suspension properties: with recipes like Lynette’s Opal that also contain soluble ingredients like neph sye, if you noticed gelling issues with a gerstley borate version, a frit or borate substitute could alleviate some of it. I say some, because I find frit 3134 is also slightly soluble. Not nearly as bad as GB and it takes longer, but it does happen.

After Ferro moved their production to Mexico it took them a while to get back up and running properly. I’ve heard some rumours about first batch quality control bumps that have been worked out. It sounds like they’re re-establishing supply networks, and working on back orders. I would assume that availability of those frits will smooth out before we’re in a substitution crisis again. Something to keep an eye on.

Yeah I ordered 4000 lbs back in November and didn't get until February.     They were out of something ... I want to think they said Magnesium?    Funny, I was like Mark and had just around 1000 pounds when it came in.   However, this year I have ZERO employees in the back.   Plus I'm supplementing with slip casted wares (like mugs and vases).     I'm going to make do with this 5000 pounds for the year.   I will be cutting back but have raised prices.   Not running a "production" side business now, it's more supply based.   Customers are willing to pay more and I continually remind them I am 65 now, and won't be doing this forever.     And they are buying "extra".   I tell them "if you see something you really want, get it now."

Oh I use Laguna stoneware #65, hard mixed to 7.5.   I think normal is 6.2.  Really have enjoyed my Laguna clay and glazes over the years.  Cheers to that company!  Really excellent service.

Edited by DirtRoads

• 2 weeks later...