Buying a pottery wheel

Earl

Hi I’m new to this forum and new to pottery. I have had some classes about five years ago along with my wife. Getting ready in near future to purchase a pottery wheel.  So many to choose from. My budget is 1000 to 1500. When I took my class they had Speedball wheels. Looking for something good from beginner to experienced that will last.  Any info / experience  greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I am totally biased, based on personal experience. I love the Brent wheels---quality, longevity/endurance, nice company to do business with/communicate with.  Others may have some input based on the budget limit....like is a used high quality wheel a better bet than a newer lower quality unit for the same price (ie. the best wheels ain't cheap!) Also what is the projected  intended use--heavy volume, building a business, hobby potter, no need for a reversable head etc.?

Eventually would like to have a small business.  That would be down the road. I was told Brent was about the best but price is around 2000 for a Brent C .I called and talked to a guy at Soldner. A lot more than a Brent C. 

There are a few threads here on that/similar topic - shopping for a wheel, that's how I found this Forum!

Pottery Wheel Advice/suggestion - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community
Best Pottery Wheel for Beginners? - Studio Operations and Making Work - Ceramic Arts Daily Community
https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/26802-any-tips-on-purchasing-a-wheel

...there's more; try some different search strings, particularly the brand/model you may be considering.

If you can, take some wheels for test drives.

@Earl, I believe that when you look at wheels you have to consider your physical abilities, your throwing skills presently and in the future, and just how often you see yourself in the shop making pots. I would suggest that you sit down with some wheels at a pot supply shop, and try some throwing. In a previous life I taught HS ceramics, and bought some wheels that were good for the money, 1/2 hp, and some that were 1 hp. Over the years I got to the point where I would never demonstrate on the 1/2 hp wheels only on the full ones. I have an aggressive centering style, not wasting time on the centering but getting right down to the throwing. I could always out torque the 1/2 hp wheels and it would mean more time to center. If I was demonstrating the entire throwing thing for a form it was best to blast through parts of the demo and concentrate on the parts I was teaching for the day. 

When it came to buying my first belt driven wheel I looked at all of the wheels out there, and chose a Brent CXC, as I had thrown on Brent's in grad school, Randall's in undergrad, Amaco motorized kick wheels, Skutt wheels at conferences, a few early Soldner's, and some Bailey's. I decided on the Brent, even though it was one of the most expensive, but as I grew in ability, it supplied everything I needed. Now 30 years later, I have had to only do one repair. . . last year a flood in the shop soaked the foot pedal so I had to replace the potentiometer. Easy research on line, easy ordering and quick repair.

Hope this helps,

best,

Pres

The Shimpo Whisper and Pacifica GT wheels all are within your budget, and are good wheels that will work for what 99% of potters make.

IMO, Brent wheels last forever, but so do most wheels, and most wheels have better control than Brent. I own 9 Skutt wheels and they all have far better pedal control than Brent. And Brent replacement parts are pricey.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It's great to hear that you and your wife are getting back into pottery. You're right, there are many pottery wheels to choose from, but I can definitely help you narrow down your options within your budget.

Given your budget and requirement for a wheel that will last from beginner to experienced levels, I'd suggest considering the following pottery wheels:

1. Speedball Clay Boss: Since you mentioned having experience with Speedball wheels in your classes, the Clay Boss might be a familiar option. It has a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 100 lbs of clay. It's a popular choice for both beginners and experienced potters.

2. Shimpo VL-Lite: This wheel is an excellent option for beginners and intermediate potters. It has a 1/2 HP motor, can handle up to 25 lbs of clay, and offers a smooth and quiet operation.

3. Brent Model B: Brent wheels are known for their durability and reliability. The Model B has a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 150 lbs of clay. It's suitable for both beginners and experienced potters.

4. Pacifica GT400: This wheel offers a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 80 lbs of clay. It's a solid choice for those looking for a quiet, reliable wheel that can grow with their skills.

Before making a decision, I'd recommend visiting a local pottery studio or supplier to test out different wheels to see which one feels the most comfortable for you. Additionally, you may want to read reviews and watch videos online to get more insights from other users.

I hope this helps you in your search for the perfect pottery wheel. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or need more advice. Good luck, and happy potting!

15 minutes ago, Pottery Workshop Marrakech said:
  • Speedball Clay Boss: Since you mentioned having experience with Speedball wheels in your classes, the Clay Boss might be a familiar option. It has a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 100 lbs of clay. It's a popular choice for both beginners and experienced potters.

• Shimpo VL-Lite: This wheel is an excellent option for beginners and intermediate potters. It has a 1/2 HP motor, can handle up to 25 lbs of clay, and offers a smooth and quiet operation.

• Brent Model B: Brent wheels are known for their durability and reliability. The Model B has a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 150 lbs of clay. It's suitable for both beginners and experienced potters.

• Pacifica GT400: This wheel offers a 1/2 HP motor and can handle up to 80 lbs of clay. It's a solid choice for those looking for a quiet, reliable wheel that can grow with their skills.

This is where it can get confusing. The Pacifica, Speedball, and Shimpo ratings are for how much clay can be centered on the wheel, which is when it's under the greatest load and torque really matters. The Brent B rating is how much clay the wheel can handle with it just sitting on there spinning, not under a lot of pressure. For some reason Brent stopped advertising their centering capacity and started using what they call 'continuous' load a few years back, probably just because '150 pounds continuously' sounds more impressive than '25 pound centering capacity'. So you have to pay close attention to what they're saying. Any wheel can handle simply rotating with way more clay sitting on it than you'll ever actually throw. What matters is its ability to maintain speed under heavy loads like when centering,  or maintaining consistent slow speeds like when working out at the edge of a large bowl or platter. Most wheels can be made to work just fine with some adjustments to your throwing style, but in general a bigger motor makes it easier. That said, most of what most potters make is under 5-6 pounds, which just about any wheel can handle without any problems.

Thanks for all the replies  I have been reading and watching a lot  seems like each wheel has their own ups and downs. Talked to a store that does repairs on wheels and sales wheels. Brent and Shimpo. The gentleman I spoke to recommended the Shimpo Vl Whisper. He said the Brent has a better warranty. But parts are really expensive for the Brent.  But the Speedball Clay boss  is in the middle with price. Again thanks for the replies.  

I purchased my first potters wheel, a Brent kick wheel, in  high school. As we didn't quite know where to put it, in my childhood home, we put it in the back yard. It was wonderful to throw pots outside while making no noise and hearing the birds singing.

But it was heavy, and awkward, so I sold it a few years later.

I bought my first, and only, electric wheel in 1984. A Brent model C. I was convinced I would throw bigger pots and wanted a strong wheel. (The CXC was just coming into view.) 

It was a great wheel but it was heavy and not always quiet. (I'm told they've improved that since.) 

I turned to slip casting soon after and only occasionally used the wheel. (To craft round forms.)

I developed a ruptured disc in 2006 and decided the heavy wheel had to go. Considering it was either more back pain, or no wheel, I was happy to see it go. 

I explain all of this to make apparent the fact that we never know how things will turn out.  (The best laid plans...) I would suggest you go with Neil's advice and go with the Whisper. I know a young potter who has two and she loves them. She says they're fairly easy to move and she likes the quiet aspect..

I have a 20 yo Brent C that has never needed any maintenance, so I think whatever replacement parts cost, it’s probably worth it. I suspect disposing of this wheel will be my kids’ job when I die.

I’ve used a Shimpo/Nidec Whisper, and because I’m used to a hum from my Brent, I found the absolute silence of it a bit weird. But it depends on how much background noise you like when you’re working. 

I bought a Speedball a few years ago because they were the cheapest and I'd used them where I took lessons.  But my  wheel slowed down with over 2 pounds weight when I centered down and as suggested, I checked the belt, and it wasn't centered.  Speedball diagnosed that I  needed a new wheelhead assembly (not sure that's the proper term), and sent me one free, but it didn't solve the problem.   I don't throw bigger than 2 pounds usually so it's not a big problem but I suspect it also doesn't rotate as fast as better wheels.  I don't know how important that is.   However I don't recommend the pedal.  It doesn't change speed smoothly and also the cable  is on the wrong side of the pedal,  which just seems to be bad engineering to me.   I wouldn't buy another one.  It's a difficult decision to make when you don't have a chance to try the wheels and are essentially flying blind buying an expensive and important item.   Good luck!

19 minutes ago, irenepots said:

I bought a Speedball a few years ago because they were the cheapest and I'd used them where I took lessons.

Which model did you get?

@Earl Speedball wheels are at the low end of price and quality, but that doesn't mean they don't work well. If you want a tabletop wheel, I highly recommend the Speedball Artista. I've thrown a 10 pound pot on one of those little wheels. Their regular wheels are fine, but the pedal is definitely a weak point in the design- it's plastic and feels cheap compared to the heavy cast metal pedals most other brands use. They have plenty of power, though, and honestly you get used to whatever equipment you have once you use it for a while.

I think you get what you pay for and speedballs are just cheap wheel made for very small amouts of clay

Irenepots sums it up well above

The  resale on a Brent or a Thomas/Skutt will be high but those are made well (for a lifetime)